Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 05:43 AM

108 posts, read 308,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Who is making these laws? People who never drive?
No, the people who still care about this little thing called "civil liberties."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 06:17 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,306,789 times
Florida lawmakers see no chance of cellphone driving ban - St. Petersburg Times

This guy is a horrendous example for the new generations! For as long as we will be ran by these morons, we will continue to become morons! People who are elected to make laws, should set good examples for the new generations to follow, not act like morons, and pass MORONIC laws!

It is ONE thing to preserve "civil liberties", and a whole other to allow ppl to keep chatting/texting/brushing/putting make up on etc etc etc while driving, and cause accidents that kill innocent people who also care about that "civil liberty" of diving SAFELY!

Seems to me that these "REPUBLICANS" are such complete idiots on so many levels, that they should all be expelled from the Gov!

Old 12-15-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Florida lawmakers see no chance of cellphone driving ban - St. Petersburg Times

This guy is a horrendous example for the new generations! For as long as we will be ran by these morons, we will continue to become morons! People who are elected to make laws, should set good examples for the new generations to follow, not act like morons, and pass MORONIC laws!

It is ONE thing to preserve "civil liberties", and a whole other to allow ppl to keep chatting/texting/brushing/putting make up on etc etc etc while driving, and cause accidents that kill innocent people who also care about that "civil liberty" of diving SAFELY!

Seems to me that these "REPUBLICANS" are such complete idiots on so many levels, that they should all be expelled from the Gov!
Instead of pointless name-calling, why don't you actually point out which part of that article you disagree with, and why. You do realize that a lot of these "moron" lawmakers are in power because most people living here actually agree with them and thus keep electing them. You know, that's generally how democracy works. That also happens to be the reason that a number of people move to Florida. They actually LIKE the way things are done here as opposed to much more oppressive states like California or Massatchussets.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:37 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,455,798 times
Karma is a *****, Sen. Jack Latvala.

Sadly, this guy who speaks the loudest about cell phone rights will probably cause or be harmed by a careless driver using a cell phone.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:21 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
I'm getting lost here with the name calling...people should stay on topic and refer tote part they agree si or not....

I've heard one the rep. Who was against a complete cell phone ban and in the announcements on the radio it seemed he was against banning txt, etc. but later when the entire story was told it came out he was against a complete ban for using a cell phone at all. He was against txt behind the wheel and I agree with him.

I wouldn't mind if they would only allow hands free calling behind the wheel while driving.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:34 AM

Here it is:

"You know the NRA saying that if they want my gun they'll pry it from my cold dead hands? That's what I think about banning cellphones and driving," said Latvala, R-Clearwater, chairman of the Senate Transportation Committee. "Absolutely no chance."

He made the comments Wednesday while driving and talking on his cellphone."

My guess is that this guy had never had an accident in his family, cause if he did, he wouldn't be talking so lightly about this!

Sorry for the name calling, but I absolutely hate people who are allergic to common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganFL View Post
Instead of pointless name-calling, why don't you actually point out which part of that article you disagree with, and why. You do realize that a lot of these "moron" lawmakers are in power because most people living here actually agree with them and thus keep electing them. You know, that's generally how democracy works. That also happens to be the reason that a number of people move to Florida. They actually LIKE the way things are done here as opposed to much more oppressive states like California or Massatchussets.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Here it is:

"You know the NRA saying that if they want my gun they'll pry it from my cold dead hands? That's what I think about banning cellphones and driving," said Latvala, R-Clearwater, chairman of the Senate Transportation Committee. "Absolutely no chance."

He made the comments Wednesday while driving and talking on his cellphone."

My guess is that this guy had never had an accident in his family, cause if he did, he wouldn't be talking so lightly about this!

Sorry for the name calling, but I absolutely hate people who are allergic to common sense.
Ugh... ok. And? What law did he break? If protecting individual liberty is your idea of being "allergic to common sense" then I really don't know what else to tell you.
8 other things the government should ban - CNN.com

Old 12-16-2011, 11:29 AM

Please do pick up the Florida driving manual and show me where it teaches about texting and driving!? and what specifically it says to do! same goes for putting make up on etc. Do show me where in that manual does it say to do any of these "extra" activities. YOU need to learn that manual before buying a car and drive, and I don't remember when I took my driving test having questions about texting.

It is a civil liberty to drive, however it is not a civil liberty to use your car as weapon because you think you can do whatever you want without consequences.

In that case, then why do we wear seat belts? isn't that a civil liberty taken away too? how is that any different? why do we stop at stop lights? why do we pay rent? I can go on and on. I think these politicians have mixed things to the point where people have forgotten about "common sense" all together. Should I even mention the sign that means "Yield"! half the people have no idea what it is for. Or turning signals on! do you think that too is a matter of "civil liberties"??? cause I think it is a matter of RESPECTING traffic laws, and tell people behind you what you're about to do!

Do New Yorkers move to Florida because their "civil liberty" of talking on a cell phone while driving was revoked?? cause usually the reasons are taxes and the cold!

I don't understand why or how do traffic rules have anything to do with civil liberties!? Traffic kills people...this entitlement that is thrown at us under the "civil liberty" umbrella is not productive. It is stupid. I don't think about driving as a "civil liberty", I take it as a privilege, and follow the traffic laws I studied before I took the exam. I also don't use my car as a bathroom, or office, as I have both a bathroom and an office to make/take calls, check email etc etc etc. and with all that, I don't feel like my "civil liberties" have been infringed in ANY WAY!

Quote:
Ugh... ok. And? What law did he break? If protecting individual liberty is your idea of being "allergic to common sense" then I really don't know what else to tell you.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:39 AM

When are they going to start banning the things that should be banned is the question!?

Thing is, that with so many law breakers in this Gov...of course they'll ban things for fun, and not for use to protect citizens.

Half the stuff in this list is useless, and it is only there so the masses think the law makers actually "work"!

I had to roll on the floor laughing at this one:

"Calling someone "honey" if you are not Southern or a waitress. Instant or feigned intimacy is too much for some people to bear, and may result in friction or even violence. The issuing of a DYHM (Don't you honey ME!) ticket might do much to cool the fires of sudden or false ardor. Repeat offenders would be sent to work at large, nameless corporations, or be required to move to Tupelo."

HONEY!? really??? OMG!

Quote:

Old 12-16-2011, 11:50 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,142,671 times
No hand held devices allowed while driving a moving vehicle.

End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay