Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 08:44 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess706 View Post
I grew up in Spring Hill. I was one of those kids that hung out at the circle and Burger King.

Spring Hill has not evolved over the years. Just because they opened retail stores and restaurants doesn't mean there is anything for the kids to do here. There is nothing within walking distance.

I am initially from Brooklyn New York, and when I was a kid, I had so much freedom and independence because everything was within walking distance, and all of my friends lived in the same neighborhood. I never had to depend on my parents to take me anywhere. Parks, Libraries, movie theaters, stores, churches, schoolyards and anything else you can think of was right at our fingertips.

All the parents in the neighborhood were also very involved. We always had a home to hang out at. Watch movies, play video games or just sit on the stoop for hours hanging out with friends.

There was a better sense of community because everyone had known everyone for years whereas, Florida is a melting pot and is so transient.

I feel sorry for the kids that grow up here because there isn't anything this place can offer. It is a retirement community, and no matter how many younger people move in, it still caters to the older people.
Between 1960 and the early 1980's the crime rate rose every year, except 1, in NYC.
This could have been a big reason for your parents wanting to move you down to Florida.

Do you have any children?

Because mine are busy all weekend usually and a few nights during the week.

So, not everything is walking distance but I also could not begin to afford a nice pool home on acreage in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 08:34 AM

137 posts, read 545,807 times
I'm from NY too but wouldnt compare Brooklyn to Spring Hill.. most areas outside of a major city is not going to have things for kids to do within walking distance. The teens around here do the same things teens do all across the country...they go to the movies, roller skating rink, (even though it's a bit of a dump) they hang out at DQ, or Starbucks, they have the mini-golf place on 19 next to the arcade etc. It's just that the parents have to take some responsibility and drive them to these places. At least you have a little peace of mind know that you dropped them off and they're not roaming the streets. I work in a subdivision with a lot of teens and it seems to me you can give them the world and you will still hear those magic words...I'm bored.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:47 PM

13 posts, read 61,822 times
I just feel sorry for kids in this area. Not all surburbs are like Spring Hill. Long Island, the Jersey Shore, Wayne, NJ, and really all over the North East to name a few are great surburbs.

I just think Spring Hill lacks, and I can speak from experience because I have something to compare it to because I grew up here.

It's not a great place to raise kids, and actually my parents didn't move here for me. They moved here for themselves because of their intolarence of the cold weather, but there wasn't a day that went by that they didn't regret not waiting until I had graduated Hign School before moving because they saw first hand how little Spring Hill had to offer kids, but I guess it depends on where you come from and your financial situation.

I grew up in Brooklyn in a huge house in a great neighborhood, and I even had a pool, and went to a great private school.

I have outgrown N.Y at this stage in my life, but my brother is offering his kids a wonderful life in Brooklyn. The same life we once had when living there.

Everyone has their own experiences and their own ideas of what a great life is, and a lot of New Yorkers move to Florida in hopes of giving their kids a bit more then they could afford to give them living in the city, so in that case, it may work out, but NYC is a lot different than the rest of the country, so it truly stands alone, and it is really hard for city kids to fit in in surburbia because it is a whole different ball game down here.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:09 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,384 times
Default Agreed Boring

Princess I agree with most of what you have said, of course, my own children hung around the circle, from 87 for a few years. My oldest daughter used to hang around the K Mart parking lot with all her friends, but by 92 with a year of college under her belt she headed for the North, because as she told me, she didn't want to spend the rest of her life sitting on a tailgate, drinking beer and doing "nothing". Happy to say, she has a great life up North and still when she comes for visits with my grandkids, she always says, the same ole, same ole, nothing has changed. Those friends of her, now grown, some have families and homes here in Spring Hill, others have moved to other places out of Spring Hill.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:19 PM

137 posts, read 545,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess706 View Post
I just feel sorry for kids in this area. Not all surburbs are like Spring Hill. Long Island, the Jersey Shore, Wayne, NJ, and really all over the North East to name a few are great surburbs.
:
I agree, I grew up in Queens and then moved to LI as a kid, moved here 2.5 years ago at 29 and don't care for Spring Hill in general but I just dont think it's fair to compare Spring Hill, FL to LI, Bklyn or the Jersey Shore. Those areas have a different culture and you pay to live in or near those areas. I myself hope to get back to NY one day and raise children there b/c I want them to grow up with the same surroundings and values I grew up with but the way this housing market and economy is going who knows when or if that will ever happen.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:39 AM

2 posts, read 7,025 times
great place to get the kids plugged in is Christian Church in the wildwood. they have a brand new building going up that will have inside courts for basketball and/or plenty of willing folks to get the kids involved. academically /spiritually & atheletically

Old 12-29-2008, 05:41 AM

2 posts, read 7,025 times
CCW (Christian Church in the Wildwood)
10051 country road weeki wachee fl 34613

Old 01-16-2009, 03:19 PM

3 posts, read 10,418 times
I just recently moved to the area (brooksville) and agree that there isnt much for kids to do. Where i came from ft laud. there lots of stuff to do but in particluar I am speaking of "Boomers" It was lots of do for ALL ages. there seems to be lots of land that a place like this can be built. And it can be away from the elders who complain about noise and such. Check it out. Maybe this would be better than Dave & Busters. Boomers!

Contact info is
Palace Entertainment Corporate Headquarters
4590 MacArthur Blvd., Suite 400
Newport Beach, CA 92660
Tel. 949.261.0404

Old 01-16-2009, 04:03 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vthevamp View Post
I just recently moved to the area (brooksville) and agree that there isnt much for kids to do. Where i came from ft laud. there lots of stuff to do but in particluar I am speaking of "Boomers" It was lots of do for ALL ages. there seems to be lots of land that a place like this can be built. And it can be away from the elders who complain about noise and such. Check it out. Maybe this would be better than Dave & Busters. Boomers!

Contact info is
Palace Entertainment Corporate Headquarters
4590 MacArthur Blvd., Suite 400
Newport Beach, CA 92660
Tel. 949.261.0404
I would rather take my kids to the soccer field or canoeing down the Weeki Wachee than take them to a place like that.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:27 AM

2 posts, read 5,951 times
Well lets see there is a skate board park in Springhill, Antique Car Show, the teens bring their hot rods and Muscel cars there and show them off every thursday at the Ruby Tuesday on Cortez. YMCA, in Springhill, Band Shell at the Teen Hall once a month theres a live band/concert, Coney Island Wednesday Elvis appears, everyother thursday bike nite, Skating rink on Cortez Blvd, 3 Bowling alleys in Hernando County, 2 or 3 Movie Theaters and Springhill has a Theater on Marnier-watch and or be in a play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay