Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 05:31 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,831,676 times

Advertisements

I was going out last night to put something in the trash and right on the tree that over hangs on my deck was a humongous, round furry creature with big bug eyes and a long squiggly tail staring at me. I screamed something awful! My Cat likes to lie out on the deck chair at night and now I am afraid that creature will try to eat her. Does anyone know about Raccoons in Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 07:34 PM

102 posts, read 423,216 times
raccoons are nocturnal and like to eat garbage. you or your cat won't ever be physically bothered by the raccoon unless it's rabid (aka infected with rabies). raccoons are rather cumbersome and aren't known for running very fast. just get a tight fitting garbage can!

Old 02-07-2009, 07:34 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,896,624 times
Artsy, I have seen plen ty of them here and they usually will run away from you (unless you corner them ) They are usually in wooded areas where there's still a lot of vegetation. Ane they come out at night to look for food.
I have never heard of them eating cats, but I guess if they are very hungry they might eat anything.
Keep your trash in a covered container as to not attract them more.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:50 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,088,153 times
Keep you can covered and don't put out cat or dog food.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:45 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times
In case he is there tonight I have this for you.

BAKED STUFFED RACCOON WITH APPLES

1 med. raccoon
4 lg. onions
4 strips salted pork
2 c. beef stock

STUFFING:

5 lg. tart apples
2 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. dry bread crumbs
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Skin and clean the raccoon. Wash well and remove most of the fat. Place in a large soup kettle, cover with water and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Peel, core and dice the apples into a mixing bowl. Melt the butter in a small saucepan and add the cinnamon, bread crumbs, salt and pepper; mix well. Remove the raccoon from the cooking juices and cool. Stuff the raccoon and sew up the cavity. Place the raccoon, breast down on the rack of a roast pan, with the legs folded under the body and fasten with kitchen string. Drape the salt pork over the back of the raccoon and fasten with toothpicks. Place the onions beside the raccoon on the rack.

Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes to brown the meat. Reduce temperature to 325 degrees and add the 2 cups of beef stock. Cook for 1 hour, basting as often as possible. Transfer to a heated platter surrounded by the whole onions.

Sweet and Sour Racoon is good also.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:29 PM

428 posts, read 1,243,887 times
Indeed, I saw an article on cnn.com or somewhere a few weeks ago about parts of the country that eat quite a bit of raccoon per capita.

Sorry... but I just have to say it...
TASTES LIKE CHICKEN.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:35 AM

2,035 posts, read 5,037,251 times
..add the cat for an appitizer..lol

Old 02-08-2009, 04:58 AM

154 posts, read 534,069 times
I would suggest NOT to get a tight-fitting garbage can so that the raccoon never gets hungry for the cat.

By the way, these are also common in Yankee-land, I spot raccoons regularly in Central Park, NYC.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:22 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,863,269 times
if i had to guess you place cat food outside for Fluffy... this is prime raccoon bate., they are alwayus up for a free meal. they will hiss at the cats if they come too close but otherwise are looking for mealtime. Not dissimilar from Opossums. and you may see the occasional armadillo... they go for grubs in the yard,,, hence the small piles of dirt you may see. they are all pretty harmless just give them their space and keep the cats and dogs off of them, Distemper is an issue with them which isn't good for Fluffy either. make sure the cat is up on ots shots.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:37 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,206,774 times
I do agree you need to be sure your cat is UTD on shots. That would be my main concern.

Here is more info on raccoons including ideas on how to keep them away
Raccoon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: