Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:52 AM

161 posts, read 450,606 times

Advertisements

algia,

what your article refers to is commonly known as the current education bubble in the academic field. im familiar with it. however, your article leaves out some very important information: graduation and gpa rates crossed against fortune 500 and 1000 companies, career progress stats via high school education alone (for example length of company stay, promotions, and earning increase over a 10 year period), migration patterns for highschool/college/masters students after graduation, and a whole host of other very important information.

some of us expect the eduction bubble to pop here sooner or later... plus there's a reason why many people say a ba doesn't mean much anymore... because its a masters degree that many of us young folk desire, even at the cost.

sure you can learn how to do photoshop in your spare time maybe (and seriously, maybe, youd be surprised how many people have trouble with even that), but i doubt youll be getting a job doing neurosurgery without a degree, and for good reason.

plus, even if a college education means less than it used to, whats that say about the worth of a high school education?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 09:04 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
yes, but you don't need a "neurosurgery degree" to work at a bank! and this is what ends up happening, a lot of people go to college for the sake of getting a degree and NOT ALL of them get to actually work in the field they want or have the degree in.....and that's where it all goes downhill because now you have a highly degreed individual who can't find a job in his field and will take a few classes just to find a "JOB" in some other field and this leads to those employees that are not happy and productive because they went to school and spent a lot of money just so they get out and have to do something completely different that what they went to school for!

But let's not compare apples with oranges again...let's not compare the necessity of having a degree if you want to practice medicine versus being a secretary!!!!! typing word docs every day! the two do not go hand in hand!

Old 12-09-2009, 09:57 AM

a secretary that only has a high school education and can type a doc compared to a secretary who went through college, took a couple computer classes, and knows that when the printer prints gibberish that s/he should check on the drivers... which would you choose? anyone can type a doc... anyone. id be surprised if any business just needed a secretary to type and literally nothing else, no problem solving, no other tasks, nothing.

i got my degree in english, but i often end up in graphic design jobs (because of the way the copyediting field works) where i do only graphic design. i dont mind at all, in fact, i like it a lot.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:14 AM

I think the days of computer idiocy are long gone by now! anyone who is using PC knows about drivers, unless they live in the woods! seriously! the days of using the CD-rom tray as a cup holder are gone as well........just as the ones where people couldn't find the "any" key on the keyboard!!!! Let's give people some credit! and not make it sound like if someone didn't go to college they are complete idiots! who can't figure out a printer config!

Old 12-09-2009, 10:45 AM

uhm, algia, i dont know what world you live in, but i often have to teach people how to use their computers, even young kids that can find their way around myspace but dont know what msconfig is. im willing to bet that much of the workforce has no idea that their computer has drivers, let alone what they do.

most colleges require students to take several basic computer courses that teach higher stuff than "heres the keyboard to type on".

like i said, id be surprised if any secretary only typed and nothing else. an education teaches team-building, abstract reasoning, problem solving skills, as well as answering one of the most important questions: wheres the library? sure, google is your friend, but the information contained on the internet is still vastly limited, even for some "common" careers like graphic design, marketing, or copyediting.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:15 AM

I could say the same thing, what world do "You" live in? if someone can't figure out myspace.....? then that means they can't read! in which case we have a much bigger problem than just having a college degree...are the people you're referring to the same kind that don't know what DC stands for? because in THAT case, we have reached a Mute point! or as Joey would say: "A Moo point"!!!!!

First of all, no company in the US will allow JUST ANY employee to mess in msconfig.....that's why they have IT people coming in, or an IT dept within the company, or they call the PC manufacturer for support! the secretary job is NOT to find and fix issues in msconfig! sure one that knows can do that, but why would she? she is NOT PAID for that!?? nor hired for that purpose! but if I were to let anyone mess with my computers at work, which i use for business, it will have to be someone with an IT certification/degree of course...computers cost money, so as a business owner I wouldn't just let "anyone" screw with that!

"Secretary Definition:

Secretaries perform several office tasks within one job. They do word processing and data entry. They may take shorthand. Secretaries also file papers, answer telephones, schedule appointments, and handle mail for their employers. Secretaries are employed by business, professional, government, and nonprofit organizations.

The exact nature of the work varies widely from job to job. Secretaries in small firms may spend most of their time dealing with the mail and answering the phone. In a very small organization, one secretary may be responsible for all office functions.

In the past, every middle manager in a large corporation would have a secretary working for him or her. Office automation has eliminated many secretarial jobs. Managers now use e-mail to send and receive correspondences, and they get their phone messages through voice mail. There is less paper to file because so much information is stored on computers.

In most modern, automated offices, one secretary provides services for several managers. Those who work for only one or two managers are usually given additional responsibilities. They may be given tasks that formerly were done by administrators. The tasks vary with the type of office and the special skills of the secretary. A secretary to a human resources director might administer and score tests or check applicants' references. A secretary to an advertising manager might check copy for printing errors and layout. In some offices experienced secretaries are given the same responsibilities as administrative assistants.

Large organizations may have five or more levels of secretaries. Those at the top level are usually called executive secretaries. Those at the middle level may be called senior secretaries or administrative secretaries, but the titles vary from one organization to another. Secretary is sometimes an entry-level title. Inexperienced secretaries may start out by working in a group. Middle- or senior-level secretaries often teach newcomers how to use the company's computer equipment and programs. If the equipment changes, they may help to retrain other office workers.

In any office, experienced secretaries may be given a great deal of responsibility. They may order supplies, schedule meetings, handle petty cash, and make travel arrangements. Some secretaries perform supervisory duties or act as office managers.

Many secretaries specialize in one type of office work. For instance, legal secretaries are familiar with the terms and procedures used by lawyers. Medical secretaries work in doctors' offices, hospitals, and other places where a knowledge of medical terms is essential. Bilingual secretaries work for the government and for other organizations that maintain contact and exchange letters with offices abroad.

A secretary's duties can range from answering phones to supervising personnel and managing office operations.

Secretaries generally must have a high school education. Many employers prefer to hire graduates of administrative support schools. Business executives may prefer applicants with a liberal arts degree and secretarial training. Typing or word processing skills of at least sixty-five words per minute are often required for jobs in big cities. Shorthand skills are no longer needed for many secretarial jobs. A basic knowledge of computers is increasingly required. Employers usually provide training for their particular equipment and programs. Communication skills are also valuable on the job."

I don't see my space or msconfig being mentioned here....? and I am pretty sure that someone applying for this type of job doesn't expect to be in charge of IT problems that may arise...SHE/HE CAN OFFER to fix whatever...but this is not part of the definition of this particular type of job. Sure an employer might want to save some money and have someone "in-office" that can handle computer problems, and is NOT a certified IT person, however that is risky and can lead to financial looses...lots of problems can be created by someone messing in msconfig and the level of IT preparedness they get in college studying to become a secretary is not sufficient to safely fix the kind of issues that can arise from that msconfig......

Old 12-09-2009, 11:42 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,309,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
then that means they can't read! in which case we have a much bigger problem than just having a college degree...are the people you're referring to the same kind that don't know what DC stands for? because in THAT case, we have reached a Mute point! or as Joey would say: "A Moo point"!!!!!

It's "moot" point

moot - A moot point is one that need not be decided, due to a change of circumstances.

“Moot point,” not “mute point” « Language Rules

Old 12-09-2009, 12:00 PM

Right Craig...I didn't proof read it....a moot point,...I'll make sure it'll never happen again....LOL

Old 12-09-2009, 03:54 PM

algia,

can you please provide me your data for tampa bay companys, their number of employees, and the percentage of how many can afford even a single IT person, let alone a full blown IT department?

i cant tell you how many of my bosses were thrilled that i could use msconfig to stop annoying little things on their very computers.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:23 AM

Every company I worked with so far (as employee or general contractor) in Florida had an IT guy that used to come in every time something was wrong...my hubby's experience is the same....all tho he too can build a computer and he is not certified in any IT fields....

I am IT inclined too, A+ certified all tho I only did that because I was highly bored when I first moved here in 2001 as my main career is in photography and graphic design......I can build a computer from scratch in 10 minutes but IF I am going to work as a secretary for sure I won't be offering my IT skills for FREE! I'll type 80 per minute, but won't touch msconfig...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay