Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 06:12 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times

Advertisements

With the New Year comes tougher laws to crack down on bad drivers.

One law that went into effect on Friday, January 1 forces Florida motorists found at fault in three crashes in a 36-month period to take a driver improvement course at their own expense.

If they don't take the class, or do not pass - they lose their drivers license.

Shawn McDermott says that he caused an accident recently while talking on his cell phone, and agrees that repeatedly inattentive drivers do not belong on the road.

"I don't think it is acceptable to get into that many accidents," said McDermott. "If this can help take steps to prevent accidents in the future then, yeah, it is beneficial."

Bill Schneikart has a long career as a personal injury attorney in Florida spanning nearly 30 years, and says that a law like this one is long overdue.
New law aims to crack down on bad drivers - Bay News 9 (http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2010/1/3/565430.html?title=New+law+aims+to+crack+down+on+ba d+drivers - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 06:55 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
People will still drive without a license.......impound the cars.....THAT will stop these idiots from causing useless accidents with their careless driving.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:00 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,309,108 times
years ago new york was thinking about or did start a law where 2nd time DUI offenders had that cars impounded and auctioned off and the state kept the money. I dont know how that worked on cars with liens.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:54 AM

807 posts, read 3,187,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
People will still drive without a license.......impound the cars.....THAT will stop these idiots from causing useless accidents with their careless driving.
We agree!! hallaluia!!

Old 01-04-2010, 08:05 AM

357 posts, read 799,863 times
Quote:
Exactly. This is just a way for the state to bring in a little more revenue. Many drivers who frequently cause accidents are still going to drive without a license.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:11 AM

Impounding is more expensive, so if they really wanted to MAKE MONEY, then they should start impounding and fining at the same time.....people (unfortunately) will only respond with improved behavior if you hit their wallets. If you have a joke of a fine, no one will ever care to straighten out and we will still see the crosses and flowers at every corner!

Old 01-04-2010, 08:32 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
That is a good idea! We want these drivers off the road and the harder you make it for them to get on the road the better.

I know one of my tenants has a suspended drivers license for not showing up in court and not paying the fine and fees and every time I see him driving around....maybe I should have reported it, but if I do he might not pay the rent anymore ....

Old 01-04-2010, 09:02 AM

Not to encourage "tell/tell" but I have a good friend in Austria/Vienna who got SEVERAL traffic tickets because of "old" and not so old people seeing her either on the phone which is not allowed there, or parking with one wheel on the side walk.....I mean not aligned perfectly with the sidewalk (they have parallel parking there everywhere) and all sorts of small stuff like that, imagine if she actually drove without a license, she would have probably ended up in jail! believe it or not, people there take it upon themselves to report infractions, as a matter of fact I actually called and emailed DMV because one idiot not only he cut us off on that roundabout in Clearwater (in front of the Pier) but then he started showing us the finger too.........I emailed DMV with his license plate as we were driving (my husband was driving) and I actually got a THANK YOU from them about 3 days later......... I mean the guy almost run us off the road because he didn't stop to yield the incoming traffic and HE was the one that thought he was right in his actions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and we have small kids in the car.......so that got me very aggravated.......

So, yeah, damn right report him........and if he does it again report him again, eventually his wallet will cave and you can report him to collections.....this is ridiculous that these people think they have THESE many rights! and have no consequences to their actions!

Old 01-04-2010, 12:13 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
So they get the car out of hock and do it again.

What is the big attraction for impounding cars? What do you think it is going to solve?

Quote:

Old 01-04-2010, 01:34 PM

If you can't figure that out on your own.......then it is no point in me explaining this to you, obviously you seem OK with the number of accidents we have thanks to careless drivers......

If it would cost you $1000 to unhook your car I bet you you would be a lot more careful next time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay