Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 09:04 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times

Advertisements

It seems that stimilus didn't do any good!

What we need is relieve for small businesess and lower property taxes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 01:01 PM

20 posts, read 52,889 times
I moved down here with 2 other people late last September. All 3 of us came down with no job offers. All 3 of us found work in less than 2 months.

I was fortunate and found a better position that came with a good pay bump. For one of the other people they got a very similar job\pay and for the other person it was a small step back. Yes there is competition but its not impossible to find a job.

On a side note I have a good friend who is a teacher in St Augustine. He was informed that due to cut backs he would not be asked to come back after the conclusion of the school year. Later the district got some of that stimulus money and he is still employed.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:48 PM

I'm convinced that if some one wants to work there are always possibilities...

Old 01-22-2010, 04:14 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,016,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

Then enlighten us all and tell us where these opportunities exist. I could really go for more than 15 hours a week!

Old 01-23-2010, 05:05 AM

Maybe not the highest paid jobs but some stores are hiring. From there you can search the add's ...I don't need a job so I'm not searching but I do have to shop now and then and noticed that they are still hiring...

Old 01-23-2010, 06:27 AM

5,025 posts, read 7,228,646 times
Quote:
It seems that stimilus didn't do any good!

What we need is relieve for small businesess and lower property taxes!
According to the Associated Press, a state study found that Federal stimulus money directly saved or created 87,700 jobs in Florida for the last quarter.
Property taxes HAVE been cut and will be cut more ( I think the cuts have done much more harm than good and will end up being a disaster, but tax cuts get politicians re-elected). How low do you think property taxes can get before municipalities are unable to function? You'll probably find out soon.
Relief for small businesses is rather vague- anything specific?

Old 01-23-2010, 07:59 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,380,491 times
Quote:

A dear friend of mine has received 6 opportunities(all of them sales) and she TURNED THEM ALL DOWN!? Says the base salary was too low...what the?! I told her she should be lucky that she was offered employment, I cant believe people would be picky these days...she's not paying her mortgage, living on a shoe string..i just dont understand some people. OK, enough ranting..sorry

Old 01-23-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
A dear friend of mine has received 6 opportunities(all of them sales) and she TURNED THEM ALL DOWN!? Says the base salary was too low...what the?! I told her she should be lucky that she was offered employment, I cant believe people would be picky these days...she's not paying her mortgage, living on a shoe string..i just dont understand some people. OK, enough ranting..sorry
I have heard that too. Btw. a friend of mine who doesn't need to work has just given her resignation and was asked to stay since she is very appreciated and does a good job and because it is hard for them to find a replacement ....makes you wonder how many really are trying.

To the other poster who spoke about property taxes. I can only say that if you see how much the property taxes were before it for doesn't reflect the difference in value what we are paying now. The County raised a lot of fees.

To me they better raise sales tax so it really reflects what people are spending since many that I have seen around me, aren't paying property taxes, no mortgage payments and living for free while buying car's, clothes, plastic surgery....if the sale tax for these things are raised and property taxes are lowered it will be more fair and maybe some will realize they just can spent it on whatever they want and not pay for what they signed for, just because clothes, car's and plastic surgery is nicer than paying a mortgage or property taxes like the rest of us does.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:47 AM

5,025 posts, read 7,228,646 times
Just because someone isn't paying a mortgage or directly paying a property tax, doesn't mean they're "living for free". Unless they live under a bridge, they pay rent to a landlord and he pays a property tax.

I can't decipher your second paragraph, but I'm guessing you think property taxes were too high. Could have something to do with property being worth more.

I agree to a point about sales tax-WAY too many exemptions, including internet sales. The problem with raising the sales tax is that the state will grab most of it and the local governments will have to have an increase of their own. I also think sales tax hits poor folks especially hard.
If you don't want to pay a property tax, fine. Just remember local governments (and not the state) are funded though this tax. That's why state politicians have no problem with telling cities and counties to make do with less. You will start seeing a drop off of all local services, including police and fire. Personally, I'm willing to pay my fair share.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:25 AM

357 posts, read 800,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
According to the Associated Press, a state study found that Federal stimulus money directly saved or created 87,700 jobs in Florida for the last quarter.
And if you believe that, I've got some swamp land to sell you. It's a state study, the same people telling you that unemployment is only X percent. They're only basing the unemployment off of U3, when they should be using U6 and factoring in some other things (1099 self-employed, for example). Taking that into consideration, the real unemployment numbers nationwide are closer to 25% than to the 10% they keep pushing. Any economist worth his salt knows this, but the shills in the mainstream are too afraid to speak the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay