Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 09:18 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,054 times

Advertisements

The one that I mentioned in Columbus is the one near La Teresita.
Other than that one, Publix in Oldsmar has the real cuban bread with lard, and has another cuban bread without lard.
Cuban bread is very similar to Puerto Rican bread,IMHO.
If you find one that is better, let us know. I, for one, love bread!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 10:24 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
Are there lots of restaurants around Tampa that serve Cuban Cuisine? I have never had it and love to try new foods.
There are a lot of Cuban resturants throughout Tampa. Most are run by 4th and 5th generation cubans who's ancestors were cigar makers in Ybor city. Tampa has a unique style of cuban cuisine. Due to Cuban and Italian immigrants living in close proximity to one another in the neighborhoods of Ybor City and West Tampa in the late 1800s and early 1900s, you can find a lot of Italian influences in Tampa's cuban foods. Tampa's Cuban sandwich, for example, can be found with Salami, something you will probably not find anywhere else.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:11 PM

353 posts, read 802,468 times
my Miami pals say the only decent place in Tampa for bread or food is Florida Bakery.

my friend said real cuban bread looks like this:

http://moncheopr.typepad.com/.a/6a00...41fc970b-500wi

not like this:

http://graduatemeghann.files.wordpre...7/dscn3020.jpg

Old 02-09-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltzman143 View Post
my Miami pals say the only decent place in Tampa for bread or food is Florida Bakery.

my friend said real cuban bread looks like this:

http://moncheopr.typepad.com/.a/6a00...41fc970b-500wi

not like this:

http://graduatemeghann.files.wordpre...7/dscn3020.jpg
Your Miami pals must not spend a lot of time in Tampa. I almost never see Cuban bread look like the second pic around here unless its some kind of chain resturant. When I order a cuban in Tampa, the first pic is what I usually get.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:36 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Your Miami pals must not spend a lot of time in Tampa. I almost never see Cuban bread look like the second pic around here unless its some kind of chain resturant. When I order a cuban in Tampa, the first pic is what I usually get.
For sure ^^ - when I lived in Tampa, I got nice Cuban bread like the first pic at a lot of places. When I was growing up, I lived in old West Tampa, and we would wait at the bakeries to get it fresh and hot. I won't eat that stuff that looks like a skinny loaf.

I'm sure that like a lot of things, times have changed and maybe the quality of Cuban bread in Tampa has gone down some or is harder to find, but there must be places that still serve what I believe to be "real" Cuban bread.

Hey, I just did a search on Google and came up with this interesting blog about Tampa Cuban bread, which includes recipes for making your own!

http://www.oo.com/kitchen-warfares-cuban-bread-tampa-style/ (broken link)

Old 02-09-2010, 05:03 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,054 times

Old 02-09-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
For sure ^^ - when I lived in Tampa, I got nice Cuban bread like the first pic at a lot of places. When I was growing up, I lived in old West Tampa, and we would wait at the bakeries to get it fresh and hot. I won't eat that stuff that looks like a skinny loaf.

I'm sure that like a lot of things, times have changed and maybe the quality of Cuban bread in Tampa has gone down some or is harder to find, but there must be places that still serve what I believe to be "real" Cuban bread.

Hey, I just did a search on Google and came up with this interesting blog about Tampa Cuban bread, which includes recipes for making your own!

Kitchen Warfare’s Cuban Bread (Tampa Style) | Kitchen Warfare (http://www.oo.com/kitchen-warfares-cuban-bread-tampa-style/ - broken link)
Interesting article. Did you read the comments The Tampa and Miami's Cuban food rivalry . Both sides claim the other is not "real" cuban food, but that is not the case. Its is like what Kathleen1971 said, a regional thing. Both are US versions from immigrants. They are both different, but both are very much real.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:39 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Interesting article. Did you read the comments The Tampa and Miami's Cuban food rivalry . Both sides claim the other is not "real" cuban food, but that is not the case. Its is like what Kathleen1971 said, a regional thing. Both are US versions from immigrants. They are both different, but both are very much real.
Yes, I agree, both are different, but they are still "authentic." As another poster mentioned, in Tampa the cuisine is influenced by the melting pot of ethnic groups here. So for me, what I experienced growing up is "authentic." I remember my uncle bringing back some Cuban bread from Miami and how different I thought it tasted (but still just as good!) I haven't found a place yet here in Sarasota that has any, we have so many ethnic restaurants and bakeries, but sadly a lack of Cuban style.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:41 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,683,101 times
Yeah, I never get into the whole authentic arguement because both Miami and Tampa have authentic Cuban food. I just happen to prefer Miami's version because that is what I spent 25 years eating. The last 13 years have been Tampa's version and it just doesn't do it for me. If I grew up in Tampa and moved to Miami I would probably prefer Tampa over Miami.

Although I will make one gripe. Twice I have tried to order a Media Noche at two "authentic" and popular Cuban restraunts and both time the sandwich was prepared on Cuban bread. I asked if maybe they ran out of the egg bread and both places said that is how they have always served them. Big disappointment.

And speaking of Cuban food, why the heck is it we do not have the chain restraunt La Carretta? I miss their mariquitas con mojo so very much. Latin Cafe in Brandon serves them but the service there is so lousy I quit going. I swear everytime I went there some of the most miserable people in the world were working there and I felt like I was making their life a living hell just by opening the doors.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:15 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,631,710 times
Quote:
Although I will make one gripe. Twice I have tried to order a Media Noche at two "authentic" and popular Cuban restraunts and both time the sandwich was prepared on Cuban bread. I asked if maybe they ran out of the egg bread and both places said that is how they have always served them. Big disappointment.
They make media noches on the egg bread at La Ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay