Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 04:15 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allwyna View Post
Be aware that bifocal is NOT multifocal (progressive). I get the best I can. Be also aware than progressive glasses can't be made in 1 hour. Essilor takes about 4-5 days. They need your exact measurements.

You can get progressive lenses made in an hour (maybe a little over ) at places like LensCrafter.

I know several ppl who have gotten glasses at WalMart and were happy with them. They were reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 06:58 PM

249 posts, read 440,771 times
Once again, I don't know the prices her, maybe it is cheaper.

And all depends on the problem you have. Mine is (are ) very serious. But I started with those (not as strong) 10 years ago, always from Essilor, so I know only that.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:53 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,320,773 times
I think the price sounds about right actually. My whole family wears glasses and/or contacts so I feel your pain! Check out Carson Optical. They have a place in Tampa and Brandon. I trust them and they have competitive prices, plus you get PERSONAL service as opposed to the DISCOUNT places. Really, ck them out. At least you could get a second price to go with over the "large" scale places before you decide. Good luck! (Unfortunately, as I said I believe the price is about what it should be though.)

Old 04-10-2010, 05:33 PM

162 posts, read 677,725 times
I think that price sounds fair also. That's about what I paid when I lived up north too. I have friends who have sworn by Costco. We have had a number of bad experiences with LensCrafters (and in different states). They've made our prescriptions slightly different than what the prescriptions read. It wasn't until we went back to our eye doctors and they read the glasses with their machine that we found out they didn't match. This happened to us several times in the course of years. Needless to say after about the third or fourth time we've stayed away from them. Sometimes the changes are so subtle they go unnoticed but you're not seeing as well as you could be.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:24 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,320,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debidibly View Post
I think that price sounds fair also. That's about what I paid when I lived up north too. I have friends who have sworn by Costco. We have had a number of bad experiences with LensCrafters (and in different states). They've made our prescriptions slightly different than what the prescriptions read. It wasn't until we went back to our eye doctors and they read the glasses with their machine that we found out they didn't match. This happened to us several times in the course of years. Needless to say after about the third or fourth time we've stayed away from them. Sometimes the changes are so subtle they go unnoticed but you're not seeing as well as you could be.
Its been YEARS ago I used lensCrafters in Tampa and Brandon...YEARS ago... and never again. Same thing, Wrong Script achieved. Can't speak for Costco, but generally stay away from the big discount chains. Family members had problems at Sears also. Even if you don't visit my recommendation of Carsons Optical, whoever you end up having make your glasses, take them back to your eye doctor for assurance they are correct. That would be the best advice if you need to use someone in the "chain" eye business.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:52 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,127,634 times
My wife went to lens crafters in country side mall she spent almost $800 on 2 pair one was sun glasses. Her regular glasses are progressive and the lenses are LC-HD ENHANCED VIEW PROGRESSIVE LENS. I went to Walmart and just had lenses put in my old frames and it was almost $400 but I got Nikon lenses really good lenses and they are progressive also.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:08 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
Don't buy progressive without trying them first. I bought a pair and took them back and got conventional bi-focals. Never again.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:43 AM

676 posts, read 1,272,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfinn View Post
Hi,

The opthamologist tells me I need glasses, progressive lenses is what he recommended.

So I took his eyeglass RX and went to a one-hour place. I selelcted frames that cost $100 and was told the lenses would start at $280 and could go as highs as $360 depending on lens coatings for scratch resistance and so on.

Is $400 (give or take) a usual price for glasses?

Might anyone here know of a place I can get progressive lenses less expensively?

Thank you.
The prices you have been quoted are what I have been paying for lenses for years. I often pay more because my eyesight is critical to me.

Progressive lenses are far superior to bi or tri focals. Both my wife and I have them and we both adjusted to them very quickly.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:47 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,801,136 times
You get what you pay for when you buy eyeglass frames and lenses. If you need to cut corners somewhere, do so on the frames ... NOT lenses.

I've had both inexpensive lenses and expensive lenses, and there is a huge difference - especially with progressives! I used to be one of the people who would say, "My cheap glasses work just fine!" That is, until I tried out a pair of higher-end frames and lenses. WOW! What a difference!

If you want to be successful in progressives, you need to spend the money and get the best out there ... and you need to give yourself some time to adjust to them. The cheap lenses will give you a lot of "swim" and make you feel dizzy. It is not unusual to drop $700 or $800 on a good pair of frames with good lenses. Most vision insurances will cover a chunk of that, though.

And stay away from places like Sears, Wal-Mart, and Lens Crafters. Their products are junk.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:18 AM

676 posts, read 1,272,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl777 View Post
You get what you pay for when you buy eyeglass frames and lenses. If you need to cut corners somewhere, do so on the frames ... NOT lenses.

I've had both inexpensive lenses and expensive lenses, and there is a huge difference - especially with progressives! I used to be one of the people who would say, "My cheap glasses work just fine!" That is, until I tried out a pair of higher-end frames and lenses. WOW! What a difference!

If you want to be successful in progressives, you need to spend the money and get the best out there ... and you need to give yourself some time to adjust to them. The cheap lenses will give you a lot of "swim" and make you feel dizzy. It is not unusual to drop $700 or $800 on a good pair of frames with good lenses. Most vision insurances will cover a chunk of that, though.

And stay away from places like Sears, Wal-Mart, and Lens Crafters. Their products are junk.
^^Exactly. Your eyes are very important; buy only the highest quality that you can afford. Eyesight is not something on which you should cut corners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: