Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 03:55 PM

30 posts, read 128,839 times

Advertisements

Figured I'd balance some of the negativity:

AmericanStyle Magazine | Top 25 Mid-Size Cities
St. Petersburg, Fla.

In the gold position for the first time, the Sunshine City can now boast about more than its standard 360 days of sun a year. The arts are everywhere in St. Petersburg, from world-renowned institutions, such as the under-construction Salvador Dali Museum (opening Jan. 11, 2011) and the newly expanded Museum of Fine Arts, to the private art galleries that line its downtown streets. Resident Melody Delaney notes, “St. Petersburg has a unique and vibrant arts scene. Whether it be visual or performance art, the city deserves more credit than it’s often given.” With the community’s continuing strides in developing its art scene, St. Pete could enjoy a place at the top for years to come.
An example of the commitment to grow its artistic influence can be seen in the expansion and presentation of a new permanent exhibit at the Morean Arts Center. Beginning July 4, the Morean will present a gallery of works by famed glass artist Dale Chihuly. The “Chihuly Collection,” featured at the center’s new 10,000-square-foot space, will present works from throughout the glass pioneer’s career. Along with this collection, the Morean will also be opening a 4,000-square-foot Glass Studio & Hot Shop that will provide furnaces, kilns, studio space and seating for visitors to watch glass artists at work. Opening in early June, this exciting addition is expected to be a new home to artists across the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 04:19 PM

17,455 posts, read 38,850,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecybo View Post
Figured I'd balance some of the negativity:

AmericanStyle Magazine | Top 25 Mid-Size Cities
St. Petersburg, Fla.

In the gold position for the first time, the Sunshine City can now boast about more than its standard 360 days of sun a year. The arts are everywhere in St. Petersburg, from world-renowned institutions, such as the under-construction Salvador Dali Museum (opening Jan. 11, 2011) and the newly expanded Museum of Fine Arts, to the private art galleries that line its downtown streets. Resident Melody Delaney notes, “St. Petersburg has a unique and vibrant arts scene. Whether it be visual or performance art, the city deserves more credit than it’s often given.” With the community’s continuing strides in developing its art scene, St. Pete could enjoy a place at the top for years to come.
An example of the commitment to grow its artistic influence can be seen in the expansion and presentation of a new permanent exhibit at the Morean Arts Center. Beginning July 4, the Morean will present a gallery of works by famed glass artist Dale Chihuly. The “Chihuly Collection,” featured at the center’s new 10,000-square-foot space, will present works from throughout the glass pioneer’s career. Along with this collection, the Morean will also be opening a 4,000-square-foot Glass Studio & Hot Shop that will provide furnaces, kilns, studio space and seating for visitors to watch glass artists at work. Opening in early June, this exciting addition is expected to be a new home to artists across the state.
Nice article - thanks for posting it!

Old 05-19-2010, 06:08 PM

4,972 posts, read 7,160,011 times
Good article-St. Pete's commitment to the arts is one of the reasons why it's the only place in Florida I'd want to live.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:13 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,055,851 times
Its like the city you never underestimate even if it is going through a lull which it is now with abandoned plazas. It will bounce back. The people of St Pete dont just quit on their city. It looked worse than ever when I saw the whole abandoned building bit, but I think it will rise as more young people look to move there too. I think any population St Pete loses now will be gained by those who fit the city better and when things do get a bit better in the USA as well. St Pete has my respect.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,542 times
The crime here is pretty high. The hoodlums have taken over. I do ,however, have great faith in our new mayor.Pitbull problems on the rise, hard to file complaint against it. lots of vacated buildings. drug dealers everywhere. a national problem , yes, but help begins at home.The loud boomers in the neigborhoods forcing residents to leave. lot of issues to be dealt with. very very noisy city. poor quality of life issues surround our communities. no money to run the city.no stern enforcement of already in place laws and ordinances.if these laws were enforced we {our city} would have extra money for wants than just bare neccessities.I love st pete as it was, but hang in until a bit longer. time for reform and get rid of hoodlums.st pete residents who respect their city, stick together for better or worse and dispite all the issues. i remain.....

Old 05-20-2010, 04:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,002,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catible View Post
The crime here is pretty high. The hoodlums have taken over. I do ,however, have great faith in our new mayor.Pitbull problems on the rise, hard to file complaint against it. lots of vacated buildings. drug dealers everywhere. a national problem , yes, but help begins at home.The loud boomers in the neigborhoods forcing residents to leave. lot of issues to be dealt with. very very noisy city. poor quality of life issues surround our communities..
St Pete for the most part is a very nice place to live and doesnt really reflect your description,sounds to me like you are describing one particular area bounded on the north-side by Central ave and on the west by 49st and on the east by 4th st. And to the south by 26 ave south.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:04 PM

61 posts, read 185,492 times
I think this article is describing a very small square area of downtown St Pete. Unlike a Charlotte, St Pete really doesn't have a city wide artisic flair. But its great to see it on the top of any positive list.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:45 AM

36 posts, read 111,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
St Pete for the most part is a very nice place to live and doesnt really reflect your description,sounds to me like you are describing one particular area bounded on the north-side by Central ave and on the west by 49st and on the east by 4th st. And to the south by 26 ave south.
The hoodlums run rampant in downtown, don't be fooled by the nice 4 blocks that are all that are left hoodrat free. Go to Bay Walk at night and see if you won't agree with that statement. It's out of control.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:11 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,002,522 times
Downtown St Pete is a veritable ghost town once all the offices close,as no one lives there and no one goes there you could be right about lowlifes hanging out in the downtown core,I'll take your word for it as i'm not going downtown to find out,i'll stick with the beach areas.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:03 AM

36 posts, read 111,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Downtown St Pete is a veritable ghost town once all the offices close,as no one lives there and no one goes there you could be right about lowlifes hanging out in the downtown core,I'll take your word for it as i'm not going downtown to find out,i'll stick with the beach areas.
Good idea. It is a shame that there is a brand new BayWalk that could have been a huge step in turning the city around for the better and the politicians in their infinate wisdom didn't want to crack down on the hoodrats that frequent there which has led to BayWalk's demise. Whay to go St. Petetersburg P.D. Amazing how scared they are of another 1996. Heaven forbid they actually arrest someone who is doing a crime without having to worry about a certain sector of the community that are the ones that are creating the problem in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay