Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 10:38 AM

1,693 posts, read 1,531,251 times

Advertisements

In bold move, Colorado alters teacher tenure rules - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100613/ap_on_re_us/us_grading_teachers - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 03:27 PM

25 posts, read 29,227 times
Teachers are responsible for teaching, but students are responsible for learning. Tying a teacher's job evaluation and employment security so heavily to how students perform on test scores doesn't seem very fair, especially since there are a multitude of factors responsible for how students develop academically, such as parenting, socioeconomics, etc.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:59 PM

191 posts, read 457,979 times
I don't agree with all of what Colorado is doing, but I hate tenure and would love to see it disappear completely. If you aren't performing then you should be replaced. Period.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:16 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
Eliminate tenure.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:45 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,125,245 times
Awesome. Welcome to the real world.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:20 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
Tenure = all you have to do is show up for three years, and you get lifelong job security.

We expect more than that from the students, why shouldn't we expect more from their teachers?

Old 06-21-2010, 04:18 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,076,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Tenure = all you have to do is show up for three years, and you get lifelong job security.

We expect more than that from the students, why shouldn't we expect more from their teachers?
That is simply not true. YOu don't just 'show up' get tenure, at least in the three school districts I have worked for. You must get good evaluations and your test scores must be good...I have seen people NOT get tenure, yes, believe it or not. I'm sure there are some districts out there who maybe just let anyone through the tenure process but I doubt they are in the majority.

People need to understand (people who are not educators, because we understand it) that tenure is NOT a 'now you can do anything you want' free ticket. It is simply (or at least meant to be) security against nepotism and free will firing because some principal doesn't agree with your teaching methods or just doesn't like your personality. Without some form of security THAT would be rampant.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:27 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
That is simply not true. YOu don't just 'show up' get tenure, at least in the three school districts I have worked for. You must get good evaluations and your test scores must be good...I have seen people NOT get tenure, yes, believe it or not. I'm sure there are some districts out there who maybe just let anyone through the tenure process but I doubt they are in the majority.

People need to understand (people who are not educators, because we understand it) that tenure is NOT a 'now you can do anything you want' free ticket. It is simply (or at least meant to be) security against nepotism and free will firing because some principal doesn't agree with your teaching methods or just doesn't like your personality. Without some form of security THAT would be rampant.
That describes the rest of the working world, and yet somehow-gasp!-the rest of the working world manages to get by pretty fine. Why should teachers get special protection? The sanctimonious attitude of teachers who think they are above everyone else is nauseating.

The article in question expressly states that the ONLY requirement in Colorado for tenure (and in many other states) is that the teacher make it to their three-year anniversary.

I repeat again: We have higher standards than that for the students, teachers should meet higher standards too.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:31 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,125,245 times
Quote:
It is simply (or at least meant to be) security against nepotism and free will firing because some principal doesn't agree with your teaching methods or just doesn't like your personality. Without some form of security THAT would be rampant.
You mean like the rest of us in the private sector face everyday? Yeah we can't have that.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:41 AM

191 posts, read 457,979 times
Quote:

I am an educator. And, while it may take some work to get tenure, you can become that teacher who does nothing afterwards and cannot be fired. I work in an award-winning school district, for a principal who is, frankly, amazing. Yet, we still have those 3-4 teachers who are AWFUL that cannot be canned because they have been "teachers" for 20 years. However, they don't make racial slurs, deal drugs, or molest kids so they are pretty much safe. While I do not believe that this is running rampant and there are usually only a few bad apples, those bad apples have access to children and poison the workplace. It would only take firing a few and then the others would fall in line.

The defense that people would be fired because of "personality" is ludicrous. Yes, perhaps that would happen RARELY, but that is the risk that is taken in every other aspect of the business world. Somehow, the cream still manages to rise to the top. And, schools would still have to justify and document their reasons for termination just like a manager at a business must document their reasons in order to avoid a law suit. The benefit far outweighs the risk in this case. If there is such a personality conflict as to create a terrible working relationship, chances are the students and teacher would be better off if the teacher chose to move to another school, which is what normally happens now if a teacher has a bad relationship with a superior.

Bottom line is if you are good teacher and team player who understands that your boss is your boss, then tenure finally going away would not hurt you in the slightest. It would give good administrators the ability to build healthy schools without having to work around lazy teachers. Also, it means that those same administrators could be canned if their school starts to tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching