Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 11:48 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,093,701 times

Advertisements

My math teacher freshman year would squirt you with a water bottle if you fell asleep in class. Only one person ever did in mine.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:30 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,579,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
My math teacher freshman year would squirt you with a water bottle if you fell asleep in class. Only one person ever did in mine.
I have a friend who uses a squirt gun. I'm kind of surprised she can get away with it.

I'd like to find a tactic that works here. Unfortunately, chemistry is hard not to teach in lecture format. It doesn't, exactly, lend itself to investigative style learning. My ideal solution would be to change up activities so often there's no time to fall asleep. I'll still be working on this in 10 years.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:54 AM

4,388 posts, read 4,246,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Too bad high school isn't like college. I had one professor who would wake a sleeping student and then in the nicest tone, insist that they get up, and jog around the building to wake themselves up. Needless to say, you didn't fall asleep twice. Unfortunately, I can't let my students out of the room to run outside and too many of them would like this. As grad students, we found it embarassing but, to be honest, the prof simply was offering you a way to wake yourself up. He would not take no for an answer. If you fell asleep in his class, you went for a jog around the building.
When I was in a portable classroom, I would have the students step outside for a few minutes in the winter to "chill out".

I also used to use a water bottle. Now that I don't use overhead projector markers, I don't have one anymore.

I will send them to the water fountain and to wash their face with cold water. If that doesn't work, I'll try having them stand up in class. The down side of this is that the same students who sleep in class are often the ones who are disruptive when they are awake, so having them stand up gives them center stage. I also had one boy who could sleep soundly standing up.

When students have no intent to pass the class and are just biding time until they are allowed to drop out, it causes problems for everyone involved. These students should be enrolled in work study by the age of 15 so that they can get a clue that they will need some form of certified skill.

Forcing everyone into school until age 17 and coercing them to follow a college prep curriculum is a recipe for dysfunction. But I'm just a teacher in this situation, so what do I know?

Old 07-09-2010, 12:24 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,149,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's the old school way and some of us still use it. It works. As far as self esteem? Who gives a ****? Being stupid will be way more self esteem defeating than a momentary embarrassment.
If a teacher is being observed and doesn't call out a disconnected student it will be noted on the observation.

The old School way produced Space Exploration, Computers, Great literature ad infinitum.

The new school way has produced, Lindsay Lohan and incomprehensible debt and text messaging [otherwise know as txtmsg and usually spoken as "he be texin me"]

nomesain?

Old 07-09-2010, 01:15 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,220,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
The old School way produced Space Exploration, Computers, Great literature ad infinitum.

The new school way has produced, Lindsay Lohan and incomprehensible debt and text messaging [otherwise know as txtmsg and usually spoken as "he be texin me"]

nomesain?
Actually the debt was incurred by baby boomers, who were educated under your 'old school way'.

Just to clarify.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
When I was in a portable classroom, I would have the students step outside for a few minutes in the winter to "chill out".

I also used to use a water bottle. Now that I don't use overhead projector markers, I don't have one anymore.

I will send them to the water fountain and to wash their face with cold water. If that doesn't work, I'll try having them stand up in class. The down side of this is that the same students who sleep in class are often the ones who are disruptive when they are awake, so having them stand up gives them center stage. I also had one boy who could sleep soundly standing up.

When students have no intent to pass the class and are just biding time until they are allowed to drop out, it causes problems for everyone involved. These students should be enrolled in work study by the age of 15 so that they can get a clue that they will need some form of certified skill.

Forcing everyone into school until age 17 and coercing them to follow a college prep curriculum is a recipe for dysfunction. But I'm just a teacher in this situation, so what do I know?
I hear ya. I had one last year where I was better of if I let him sleep only if I did that, then others followed suit. I couldn't win.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:47 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,816,061 times
I went back to school over a year ago. I honestly think its rude and obnoxious to fall asleep or text while the teacher is trying to teach a class. If the class is boring ; then drop out.
I went to school in a different country and gosh we would never fall asleep in class ; it jsut wasnt done. The amount of disrespect that students here give the teacher is appalling.

Call me old fashioned ; but its a students responsibility to learn and pay attention. My kids are in elementary and they are in bed by 9 at the latest on school days ; no other choice. They are not doing half a dozen after school activities to keep them busy and out of my hair ; no, they come home and get right down to homework and we try to keep things stable.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:07 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,966,580 times
There was a teacher I had in high school who was one of the nicest people, but the one thing that made him angry, very angry, was a student sleeping in his class. Kids rarely slept in class in my high school, but one day, this teacher caught a kid sleeping in his class and reamed him out in front of the whole class.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I went back to school over a year ago. I honestly think its rude and obnoxious to fall asleep or text while the teacher is trying to teach a class. If the class is boring ; then drop out.
I went to school in a different country and gosh we would never fall asleep in class ; it jsut wasnt done. The amount of disrespect that students here give the teacher is appalling.

Call me old fashioned ; but its a students responsibility to learn and pay attention. My kids are in elementary and they are in bed by 9 at the latest on school days ; no other choice. They are not doing half a dozen after school activities to keep them busy and out of my hair ; no, they come home and get right down to homework and we try to keep things stable.
See bolded text above:

This is what I struggle with the most since changing careers to teaching. I do not deal with the, blatant, disrespect well. I see it from students and parents alike.

One of th first comments I got from a parent, upon learning I spent nearly 20 years working as an engineer before switching careers to teaching was "Oh, couldn't cut it in the real world, huh?" Apparently, a nearly 20 year career is not cutting it.

They treat teachers worse than unskilled labor. I swear I was treated with more respect when I worked the cash register at a fast food restaurant when I was a teenager. I never would have talked to my teachers the way students and parents talk to me. I wouldn't have fallen asleep in class, I wouldn't have talked over the teacher (sure we forgot and talked but it was "I'm sorry Ma'am" when called on it.)

I really wonder why there is such disrespect for teachers. I think part of it is that many teachers are union. Most professionals are non union but having spent two years in a non union charter school, I now understand the need for the union. Union membership is considered blue collar here. However, I wouldn't treat the average blue collar worker like I'm treated.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:31 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,966,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
See bolded text above:

This is what I struggle with the most since changing careers to teaching. I do not deal with the, blatant, disrespect well. I see it from students and parents alike.

One of th first comments I got from a parent, upon learning I spent nearly 20 years working as an engineer before switching careers to teaching was "Oh, couldn't cut it in the real world, huh?" Apparently, a nearly 20 year career is not cutting it.

They treat teachers worse than unskilled labor. I swear I was treated with more respect when I worked the cash register at a fast food restaurant when I was a teenager. I never would have talked to my teachers the way students and parents talk to me. I wouldn't have fallen asleep in class, I wouldn't have talked over the teacher (sure we forgot and talked but it was "I'm sorry Ma'am" when called on it.)

I really wonder why there is such disrespect for teachers. I think part of it is that many teachers are union. Most professionals are non union but having spent two years in a non union charter school, I now understand the need for the union. Union membership is considered blue collar here. However, I wouldn't treat the average blue collar worker like I'm treated.
What kind of crummy parent would make a comment like that? Unbelievable.

I think you've hit on something about the unions. Whatever benefits the unions have brought teachers, real respect hasn't been one of them. In many schools, teachers can be disrespected and mistreated by students with impunity, and the administration runs the other way. Where's the union on these issues? It seems that belonging to a union, and getting the respect normally accorded to professionals, seems to be mutually exclusive.

With all the publicity now about state budget shortfalls and public employee pensions, the attitude toward teachers could take another hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.