Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:56 AM

378 posts, read 576,983 times

Advertisements

I have an idea.
Teachers should organize homeschooling groups.
Parents pay the teachers and open up their homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 07:58 AM

1,224 posts, read 4,000,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedskjaer View Post
I have an idea.
Teachers should organize homeschooling groups.
Parents pay the teachers and open up their homes.
Those are called co-ops. My friend teaches for one now, and I was offered a position for one this year. It was going to pay me about half of what I make now in a public school.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:00 AM

378 posts, read 576,983 times
I thought one would make more that way.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:34 AM

1,224 posts, read 4,000,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedskjaer View Post
I thought one would make more that way.
Not neccessarily. It depends on how many people participate in the co-op. Say you've got 20 students and require at least 4 teachers to cover the core topics. That's not including any electives. That would cost each family $7000 per year (more if they've got more than one child) to pay each teacher a $35K salary. Most people I know don't have that kind of money otherwise we would have more students attending private schools. I know mine would be if I had the money.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:07 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,321,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebri View Post
Most teachers I have ever heard of don't have alot of money at all. Averages are just that, average. Especially when administrators pay is figured into the mix.

I'd be willing to bet that the current anti union laws around the country will only make teachers leave the profession sooner then they already do. I imagine that someday soon (if the current law in wisconsin survives their state supreme court) states like wisconsin will have to raise teachers starting salaries just to get anyone to show up. Working for low pay is one thing (and if you honestly think the average teacher makes a lot of money - then I've got a bridge to sell you) when you believe in the job. But add to that, all the media hate directed at them and I wouldn't blame them if all the teachers in Wisconsin and similar states just up and left for greener pastures in other professions.
In 10 years, most of the teacher baby boomers will have retired, the fallout from the attack on educators by the Right will have taken its toll, the reduced pay scales and no retirement due to public costs and dirt wages in charter schools will have filtered down to college students, and what will be the result?

They will be begging 72 year old retired teachers to come back into the system. A very very serious teacher shortage will result.

Its so very easy to see the result of this behavior by the populace for the future.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 3,435 times
Default New Teacher..

As one who has been doing 11-12 hour days starting to teach, I believe the good teachers are there as long as it takes to get things done.
To start, the wage you are speaking of is the higher end, with many years of experience, in addition.. Teacher wages vary from city to city due to the wages being tied to property taxes..
That is some of problems..
It is not that more affluent communities teachers do not work as hard, but many times the smaller towns, or moreover the more urban areas, not suburbs, with have more discipline issues/ classroom management issues.. Those teachers should have incentives to be there.. that is pure economics.. but again.. it is run by contract and leaves little incentive, save the most important of helping others..
But it is really horrid to have schools closely, with one receiving anything they would like, while another does not have enough room, and may not have textbooks from the last decade and a half..
That is not a public education system, or at least, an even one..

Old 08-27-2011, 10:10 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
In 10 years, most of the teacher baby boomers will have retired, the fallout from the attack on educators by the Right will have taken its toll, the reduced pay scales and no retirement due to public costs and dirt wages in charter schools will have filtered down to college students, and what will be the result?

They will be begging 72 year old retired teachers to come back into the system. A very very serious teacher shortage will result.

Its so very easy to see the result of this behavior by the populace for the future.
ITA! There may be a glut of teachers today but there will be a shortage in the future. I couldn't believe how low wages were in the charter school I worked for. I wonder what the quality of teacher will be when that becomes the norm?

Old 08-27-2011, 05:19 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,790 times
[quote=claud605;15165301]Teachers' hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or 10 months a year! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do - baby sit! We can get that for less than minimum wage. That's right. Let's give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for lunch and plan -- that equals 6 1/2 hours). Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children.

You know babysitters who work for 3 dollars an hour??? Around here the teenagers not old enough to work get 10-12, and a nanny gets upwards of 20/hour.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:39 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
[quote=marie5v;20636029]
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
Teachers' hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or 10 months a year! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do - baby sit! We can get that for less than minimum wage. That's right. Let's give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for lunch and plan -- that equals 6 1/2 hours). Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children.

You know babysitters who work for 3 dollars an hour??? Around here the teenagers not old enough to work get 10-12, and a nanny gets upwards of 20/hour.
This went around the internet back when babysitters were paid a lot less.

Edited to add. You missed the actual point of the OP which was that if teachers were paid babysitting rates (even at $3.00 per hour) per child, they would be making a good deal more than $50,000 per year which is the average teacher salary.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:46 PM

102 posts, read 171,398 times
[quote=stausshaus;17975624] Many of us don’t gripe as much as I hear teachers gripe about how hard they work. Do you really think no one else works as hard as you do?

I don't think teachers necessarily believe we work harder than others, I think usually teachers who complain are acting in defense against those who would belittle our jobs (not saying that's what you are doing). At some point teachers became the bad guys...how did that happen? I'm grateful for my ever-decreasing benefits but my salary is horrid. Citydata rates my city's affordability index at over 150, teachers top out at less than 50k. When people say I make too much, they often talk in the same breath about how easy it is to teach. It isn't easy, the pay isn't what I could have earned in another field. I don't go posting about that on message boards but I *will speak up when someone says I'm overpaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching