Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 10:45 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times

Advertisements

NEA - Why They Leave

Quote:
Nationally, the average turnover for all teachers is 17 percent, and in urban school districts specifically, the number jumps to 20 percent, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. The National Commission on Teaching and America's Future proffers starker numbers, estimating that one-third of all new teachers leave after three years, and 46 percent are gone within five years.

Their departure through what researchers call the "revolving door" that's spinning ever faster—the commission estimates teacher attrition has grown by 50 percent over the past 15 years—costs roughly $7 billion a year, as districts and states recruit, hire, and try to retain new teachers. "There is this idea that we can solve the teaching shortage with recruitment," says commission President Tom Carroll. "What we have is a retention crisis." Likening it to continually dumping sand into a bucket with holes in the bottom, Carroll says, "as fast as [the districts] are moving teachers into schools, they're leaving."
More and more teachers are simply getting fed up with the system and leaving. Many were enthusiastic when they began, but they just cannot keep giving more and more for less and less.

Some personal stories and OCCUPY DOE
A Teacher Story: Why I’m Leaving Public Education | United Opt Out National
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 05:07 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
I believe the system's methods are intentional. The more of us the can force out or persuade to leave, the easier it becomes to dismantle public education.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:12 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I believe the system's methods are intentional. The more of us the can force out or persuade to leave, the easier it becomes to dismantle public education.
And the less you pay teachers. While recruiting may cost, it doesn't cost as much as an experienced teacher. It's actually a cost saving move to keep replacing your teachers before they can reach top pay in your district as new teachers start at the bottom and they have that new teacher energy that we lose after only a few years of being run ragged.

I have no doubt this is intentional.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:46 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,351 times
Education is not valued in the US. THe costs associated with schools is deemed as a societal burden rather than a necessity. In other countries, teachers are thought of as much-needed professionals-along the lines or other professions, like doctors (look to see about teaching in other countries where they get paid as a professional and some even get housing stipends).
What other profession do people get treated like they're not worthy of their job? People are always bashing teachers, saying we don't deserve out pay, our benefits, etc.
I am in my 15th year, have a dual certification (regular ed. and special ed) and a master's degree. I am required to take 6 college credits every 5 years at my expense to renew my license, I am at work 9 hours/day (have to do before school duties like hall patrol/breakfast and after school bus, carpool, etc), get a lousy 20 minute lunch, and have AT LEAST 10 hours of work to do outside of school every week, and I dont even make 50,000 year! I have friends without an education who were making 50K after a couple years on their jobs. I work my tail off, get no respect, spend my weekends preparing for students and neglecting my own family, and they keep piling on more paperwork that takes countless hours to complete-in addition to lesson planning, grading, report cards, etc.
Yes, we get off for TWO months, not three, but teachers are working in summer-workshops, planning, staff development days, etc. But without our little breaks, teachers would be even more burnt out. It is emotionally draining. I am not sure I can do this another 15 years.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:41 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,232,458 times
What did it for me was when I heard a report on ABCNews that said that the average salary for the 2012 college class was $44.5. That's only $2K less than I make after 27 years. Combine that with an evaluation model that rates me, teaching a non-tested subject, on the basis of the scores students earn in subject that I DON'T teach, and I'm in a computer science grad program, looking at summer internships that pay more than I make now.

I love what I do, and I'm good at it. I'm still continuing to hone my skills and create new, innovative teaching materials based on research and personal experience, so that I can customize my class for the students whom I teach, an inner-city population with extremely low-level basic skills. My students and their parents have told me many times so far this year that they are glad that they have me now. Some have expressed regret that their younger siblings won't be able to take my class. I'm considering talking to my principal to see if I can work out a part-time position for the advanced students while I go back to school full-time. I expect her to say no, but I will at least try.

Personally, I believe that teachers should individually evaluation the situation in which they find themselves. If things appear to be improving, and they have confidence in their futures, they should stay. If they find themselves in a situation like mine, where the vultures are circling around the state pension plan, and the shysters are collecting big bucks marketing one tired reworked innovation after another, they should cut their losses and take their talents elsewhere.

Atlas isn't the only one who can shrug. If you think public education is bad now, imagine what it would be like if all the missionaries currently teaching left the profession to the people who think the pay and conditions are a step up from where they are now. I'll be watching things from afar, as the lights go out on public education.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:49 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
Politics are every where. But teaching is a huge mine field. I was trapped in Special Education. Even though I have a Masters in School Counseling. When I applied for a counseling job with 20 years of teaching, and was passed over for a new hire graduate. Done. I quit.

They don't have any type of clear career path for those burned out on the classroom. Except to leave. Which can be a problem for someone with 20 years of seniority in teaching.

And not to be immodest, but I believe I was worth keeping...which is why I easily transitioned my skills to healthcare. I am better paid now. So...thank you to the jerks who told me I was needed to do Special Ed. Four different endorsements in SPED. plus a Masters in Counseling...passed over for a new hire.

Last edited by jasper12; 11-23-2012 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 11-23-2012, 02:23 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,053 times
The United States puts Education in the back seat. Teachers leave for a lot of reasons but the main reason is money.

They devote their time teaching the young people and are barley compensated.

In Philadelphia, where I live, over 30 Catholic Schools were closed. 100 public schools are to close in the coming years. It's crazy.

I believe that there will be a day when parents will have no choice but to home-school their kids.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:29 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
The United States puts Education in the back seat. Teachers leave for a lot of reasons but the main reason is money.

They devote their time teaching the young people and are barley compensated.

In Philadelphia, where I live, over 30 Catholic Schools were closed. 100 public schools are to close in the coming years. It's crazy.

I believe that there will be a day when parents will have no choice but to home-school their kids.
I think this is coming sooner than you think. I'll also bet that the government will keep the $7500/child they now pay the schools.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:44 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
What did it for me was when I heard a report on ABCNews that said that the average salary for the 2012 college class was $44.5. That's only $2K less than I make after 27 years. Combine that with an evaluation model that rates me, teaching a non-tested subject, on the basis of the scores students earn in subject that I DON'T teach, and I'm in a computer science grad program, looking at summer internships that pay more than I make now.

I love what I do, and I'm good at it. I'm still continuing to hone my skills and create new, innovative teaching materials based on research and personal experience, so that I can customize my class for the students whom I teach, an inner-city population with extremely low-level basic skills. My students and their parents have told me many times so far this year that they are glad that they have me now. Some have expressed regret that their younger siblings won't be able to take my class. I'm considering talking to my principal to see if I can work out a part-time position for the advanced students while I go back to school full-time. I expect her to say no, but I will at least try.

Personally, I believe that teachers should individually evaluation the situation in which they find themselves. If things appear to be improving, and they have confidence in their futures, they should stay. If they find themselves in a situation like mine, where the vultures are circling around the state pension plan, and the shysters are collecting big bucks marketing one tired reworked innovation after another, they should cut their losses and take their talents elsewhere.

Atlas isn't the only one who can shrug. If you think public education is bad now, imagine what it would be like if all the missionaries currently teaching left the profession to the people who think the pay and conditions are a step up from where they are now. I'll be watching things from afar, as the lights go out on public education.
Thank you, you said it very well.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:25 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
I sometimes wondered about the people making education policies, NCLB, and the expectation for passing proficiency tests. Obama saying all students should go on to college...I remember looking around where I taught, inner city Las Vegas, kids needed job training, and a pathway to employment. These kids were not going to college, most of them could not speak English.

And teachers were held accountable for testing scores...it seemed like an impossible task. Set up for failure. Anyone see the disconnect between having kids walk thru a scanner for a weapons check to get into the school and planning these same kids for college?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching