Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 10:05 PM

854 posts, read 1,978,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
Still too much paid by the tax payer.
Oh! And apart from only working for half a year, we don't have to pay taxes.
Seriously, you should come join us. We have poker on Friday nights where we sit around laughing maniacally about how our grand scheme to rip off the taxpayers is working out perfectly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 10:31 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
Oh! And apart from only working for half a year, we don't have to pay taxes.
Seriously, you should come join us. We have poker on Friday nights where we sit around laughing maniacally about how our grand scheme to rip off the taxpayers is working out perfectly.

No one ever said teachers didn't pay taxes. My point is why should tax payers as a whole pay teachers, politicians, and anyone else paid by tax payer money for time they are not working???

Old 03-30-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
No one ever said teachers didn't pay taxes. My point is why should tax payers as a whole pay teachers, politicians, and anyone else paid by tax payer money for time they are not working???
Most teachers do not get paid during summer- most teachers get 10 paychecks per year. Some choose to receive 12 smaller paychecks instead of 10 slightly larger paychecks; either way it is the same amount.

What I don't get is why everybody is unhappy about teachers (most of which are public servants who work hard for not very much money) and not demanding action when it comes to politicians and their corporate buddies (most of which are not doing anything positive for the public and make ridiculously larger sums thanks to nicely-designed legislation). I am also concerned about where our tax dollars are going, but I think that venting about teacher salaries is seriously misdirected. There is so much pubic money wasted on so many other things that teacher salaries should really not be a concern at all. It is simply a political tactic to keep the public from seeking real, meaningful change.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortstc37 View Post
Most teachers do not get paid during summer- most teachers get 10 paychecks per year. Some choose to receive 12 smaller paychecks instead of 10 slightly larger paychecks; either way it is the same amount.

What I don't get is why everybody is unhappy about teachers (most of which are public servants who work hard for not very much money) and not demanding action when it comes to politicians and their corporate buddies (most of which are not doing anything positive for the public and make ridiculously larger sums thanks to nicely-designed legislation). I am also concerned about where our tax dollars are going, but I think that venting about teacher salaries is seriously misdirected. There is so much pubic money wasted on so many other things that teacher salaries should really not be a concern at all. It is simply a political tactic to keep the public from seeking real, meaningful change.

Teachers are paid a salary based on a year. The salary should be based on the number of days they are working.

I am totally and very vocal against what the politicians make and their benefits. If it involves tax dollars being wasted/misused then I am against that too.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:12 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Teachers are paid a salary based on a year. The salary should be based on the number of days they are working.
Well, teachers may get paid for a certain amount of days per year contracted, but they spend a lot of time outside of the days they get paid preparing lessons, doing professional development, taking courses to keep up.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, teachers may get paid for a certain amount of days per year contracted, but they spend a lot of time outside of the days they get paid preparing lessons, doing professional development, taking courses to keep up.
Seems teachers think they are the only ones who work above and beyond 40 hrs that are on salary wages.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:27 PM

No, but we do get a lot more resentment from the public. Nobody ever went into teaching to get rich...

Old 03-30-2011, 11:33 PM

Here's a little bit of perspective:
Dems excoriate Rep. Sean Duffy for ‘struggle’ on Congressional salary - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110330/pl_yblog_theticket/dems-excoriate-rep-sean-duffy-for-struggle-on-congressional-salary - broken link)

Old 03-31-2011, 04:46 AM

1,224 posts, read 4,000,602 times
Quote:
Ok. Lets look at this. You subtract 104 from 365 that = 261 days. I will use my sister in law as an example she is contacted for a total of 190 days. So when you subtract the 190 days from the 261 that equals 71 days off...that is a problem. The average person in the US gets 13 days off. Teachers are off and not working for almost a total of 17.75 weeks (give or take a bit and depending on the contract). 17.75 weeks that are paid by the tax payer. See the problem????
Still not the teacher's problem... not their decision how many days they work. Most districts are set up on a system that was instituted in the 1800's when kids had to be at home in the summer to help out on the farm. That's why we continue to have summers off. Most teachers would agree that we would prefer to work year-round, but getting the general public to part with tradition is another story all together. You can't have it both ways.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:47 AM

1,224 posts, read 4,000,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
No, they are still working. Just because there is no school doesn't mean teachers are not working.
Exactly. There is lesson planning, professional development, room set-up, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching