Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 03:16 PM

1,224 posts, read 4,000,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The problem with calculating an hourly wage for teachers based on only the contract day is that like most professionals in other fields, teacher work many more than their contracted hours. As many teachers have told you, there is NO way that grading and planning can be accomplished during those contract hours. In order to get a true picture, you would have to figure out how many hours teachers really work.

When I worked for IBM, I often pulled late shifts and I did not make more money when I did. However, I did often get comp time and could take days off after a project was completed. Teachers not only do not get paid for their overtime, but they cannot take any time off other than on non-work days unless they are ill. Despite what people think, it is not easy to get substitutes and classes have to be covered. Substitute pay, btw, is pretty awful depending on the district.
It doesn't matter what you say, Nana. He's on a witch hunt right now and my name is Agatha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 03:17 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Agreed, trying to calculate any professional salary based on hours can be a crapshoot.

But surely given that other professions work late, work outside of the office, and have continuing education requirements in their field the fact that teachers get many more weeks off can be a factor? The additional hours certainly aren't unique to teaching.
Again, those "many weeks off" that teachers get are not weeks off because they will be filled with numerous tasks.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:18 PM

1,224 posts, read 4,000,984 times
Quote:
I read it, but this thread is about teacher salaries in Oklahoma, not me.

I realize you've tried attacking arguments I didn't make, and tried to make up things about all your single teacher friends being on food stamps, so now you are trying to turn it into a battle of insults.

I'm not biting, if you want to discuss teachers in Oklahoma please continue.
Answer the question. Did you have a bad educational experience? It is absolutely relavent to our conversation and your perception of educators.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:44 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Again, those "many weeks off" that teachers get are not weeks off because they will be filled with numerous tasks.
Are you really saying that all those weeks teachers have off are filled up with tasks? Two months of summer just filled up? The teacher a couple houses down who goes camping in her jeep or drives to Rocky Point Mexico on her breaks is some weird exception?

I have trouble believing that.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
Answer the question.
Better idea = you explain how all your single teacher friends that you say are on food stamps and livings in slums can possibly be on food stamps when even with two children their gross income would be way above the max gross income on the Oklahoma SNAP website I linked to?

Do they all have five kids? You already got busted and were forced to twist your claim to add children, but two isn't enough so do they have five now? How far will you go to cover your own lies?

Should I look up the section-8 requirements to see how well your claims they live in section-8 housing pass the sniff test too?

Old 03-31-2011, 03:56 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Better idea = you explain how all your single teacher friends that you say are on food stamps and livings in slums can possibly be on food stamps when even with two children their gross income would be way above the max gross income on the Oklahoma SNAP website I linked to?

Do they all have five kids? You already got busted and were forced to twist your claim to add children, but two isn't enough so do they have five now? How far will you go to cover your own lies?

Should I look up the section-8 requirements to see how well your claims they live in section-8 housing pass the sniff test too?
Slackjaw, I think that they may take the option of getting higher pay during the active school year, then when school is in recess they don't get a paycheck. So they meet the qualifications for assistance for a brief time each year.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:58 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Until Teachers are making more than Bankers I won't be worrying about how much teachers are making

Old 03-31-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Slackjaw, I think that they may take the option of getting higher pay during the active school year, then when school is in recess they don't get a paycheck. So they meet the qualifications for assistance for a brief time each year.
That's possible, but certainly doesn't align with the intent of her "my single friends who teach are on food stamps and in section-8 housing" claim. It would be more a case of manipulating the system than having an actual need that the system was designed to qualify for.

Either way she has become a distraction from what was an interesting thread, it would be great if that ball was indeed taken so the adults can talk without childish insults.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:11 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
Nobody who has invested that much in their education should be expected to live in a one-bedroom apartment. Seriously?

Also, what about all the singles out there that have kids? Do your stats reflect that?

One more time- Teachers are professionals and should be paid accordingly. You've already made the comparison to accountants, attorneys, and veterinarians. Would you expect them to live in an apartment and feed their children off food-stamps after the investment that they've made? I'm not begrudging them. The harder you work in this country should be reflected in your paycheck... and most of the time it is. Until you start talking about civil "servants" and then that all goes out the window. You would be perfectly content with us working for nothing.

Slackjaw, aka Mouthbreather, did you have a bad educational experience as a child? Were you molested? Did the nuns lock you in a dark closet and not let you eat all day? Did some evil teacher not "give" you a good enough grade and the result is a life of misery and disdain for education? You obviously have it out for teachers. Period. Like I've said before, it's not going to matter what type of facts, or stats, or proof I provide. You are still going to mock me, and belittle me, and call me a liar. YOU are what's wrong with education today. YOU are the problem. And YOU are now repeaping the rewards of your bassackwards thinking every time another corporation gets a bailout, or when you go to a store and the dummy behind the counter can't even count back change. You are hateful and beligerant and small-minded. I hope you get everything you want and deserve.

Wow your post kind of goes over the line. Its a debate and you took it to a whole new low.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:19 PM

She's just frustrated, let her cool off maybe she'll come back and engage in a reasonable discussion again.

If she'd like to start a new thread about educational experiences I'd be happy to participate in it, but trying to steer a thread in that direction in an attempt to insult and distract from one about teacher salary in Oklahoma isn't the proper course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching