Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 06:18 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
On the other hand, it is hard for me to swallow when my children's teachers are making 6 figure salaries in the middle of their career, they DO have great benefits, pensions, good hours (yes, they have extra to do at home but at least they are home) 3 weeks vacation and summers off, but still find so much to complain about, publicly.
Where ever it is you live, I'm moving there. I have a Masters Degree and several years of teaching experience, and I don't make ANYwhere near six figures .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 06:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Same here!

Although I do teach through the summer...but that's a personal choice. I could work for a public school district that doesn't go year-round if I wanted to.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:02 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Where ever it is you live, I'm moving there. I have a Masters Degree and several years of teaching experience, and I don't make ANYwhere near six figures .....
Want to share the expense of a U-haul truck? I'm going with you. I'm in Michigan and teachers, even with 20 years experience and a masters degree plus 30 additional credits are lucky to be in the mid 80's. Not even close to six figures. Teachers must be flocking to this six figure teacher salary state. (Teachers are flocking to Michigan because we pay well).

Old 06-18-2011, 07:10 PM

613 posts, read 991,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Really? Teachers are the only ones who are being blamed. We are blamed for things we cannot control. When a student *refuses* to learn, you should NOT blame the teacher. Yet, you do. If I did not do my job at IBM, they had programs for remediation. They didn't blame us if the hardware broke down and we could not get a project done on time when it was the equipment's fault.
I think those cushy days at IBM are pretty much over. Yes, there are probably still some higher ups who have it good, but the average employee is not is not enjoying the types of benefits that were once afforded. Less pay, less vacation, forced days off, longer hours, doing the work of 3 people, paying more for less health care and the constant cloud over your head knowing you may lose your job at any time. The corporate job is no longer 9 to 5 either.

I agree with you that teachers have become an easy scapegoat and it's not fair they be blamed for everything, but to completely refuse to acknowlwedge any responsibility for a broken system that they are a part of doesn't make sense. And then to further turn around and say "it's all the parents fault, blame the parents", sounds immature and whiny.

And if things are really really so bad as one poster described about the horrible mistreatment of teachers, who in their right mind would stay? While I don't think it's good , I do not think it is as bad as everyone is making it out to be becase anyone with a modicum of respect for themselves would never stay in that type of situation. Negativity breeds more negativity.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:18 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
And if things are really really so bad as one poster described about the horrible mistreatment of teachers, who in their right mind would stay? While I don't think it's good , I do not think it is as bad as everyone is making it out to be becase anyone with a modicum of respect for themselves would never stay in that type of situation. Negativity breeds more negativity.
Plenty don't, especially if they feel they have other options (especially in the case of secondary education teachers, who generally have a degree in a specific subject, in addition to teaching credentials).

I didn't enjoy public district teaching due to the negativity...I left the field altogether. I only re-entered it a decade later when I got an opportunity at a totally different kind of school, and a much more positive, supportive environment. I don't feel mistreated, I feel that my work is appreciated, that my students and their families recognize that I do everything within my power to help them learn to the best of their abilities, and I enjoy the job. I didn't feel that way during my public school experience.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
The cost of living here is high, but I know many families here with combined income that don't make that much. Teachers probably ARE flocking here but many families are leaving because they just can't afford to live here anymore and property taxes are of course through the roof.

But still the school budgets pass every single year for the majority of districts and the taxes just keep going up and up and up.

BTW I'm in Long Island

Old 06-18-2011, 08:43 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,696,212 times
This is the article; it says nothing about any of these teachers being in the middle of their careers:

The Rise of the Six-Figure Teacher - New York Times

Moroever, as has been stated, LI (as other NY burbs) are notoriously expensive; even teachers in NYC, making 80K, are still only making a subsistence wage. One really needs to compare NY teacher salaries to the salaries that others in the area are making. Even at 100K, that pales in comparison to plethora of 25 million dollar homes just down the road; everything is relative, and, in such an environment, it would be unfair and downright insulting for a teacher to make 35K, as in most states.

Taxes may be going up but I have yet to see anyone's salaries going down, in NYC or its burbs. I mean, the bankers bankrupted the country and still gave themselves bonuses and raises. Heaven forbid a lowly peon like a teacher (or the plumber's kids) get any of it

Old 06-19-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
This is the article; it says nothing about any of these teachers being in the middle of their careers:

The Rise of the Six-Figure Teacher - New York Times

Taxes may be going up but I have yet to see anyone's salaries going down, in NYC or its burbs. I mean, the bankers bankrupted the country and still gave themselves bonuses and raises. Heaven forbid a lowly peon like a teacher (or the plumber's kids) get any of it
You must not live in NY then because you don't know what you're talking about. The average family can't afford to live here anymore, foreclosures are rampant, and while there may be some with multi million dollar homes that does not represent the average family who send their children to public schools.

Families here are struggling...you have no clue what it costs just to keep you lights on and your home heated. And I've been to some of the homes of these 'poor' teachers; my whole house would probably fit in one room.

Their salaries keep going up and the average family's salary keeps going down. Are you living under a rock?

Are teachers deserving of a piece of the pie? Of course. But when there are only crumbs available and families are struggling just to feed their families they need to start considering their COMMUNITY and start giving back like the rest of us rather than taking more and more and more.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:02 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
You must not live in NY then because you don't know what you're talking about. The average family can't afford to live here anymore, foreclosures are rampant, and while there may be some with multi million dollar homes that does not represent the average family who send their children to public schools.

Families here are struggling...you have no clue what it costs just to keep you lights on and your home heated. And I've been to some of the homes of these 'poor' teachers; my whole house would probably fit in one room.

Their salaries keep going up and the average family's salary keeps going down. Are you living under a rock?

Are teachers deserving of a piece of the pie? Of course. But when there are only crumbs available and families are struggling just to feed their families they need to start considering their COMMUNITY and start giving back like the rest of us rather than taking more and more and more.
Teachers are giving back to the community by teaching your children. You have no idea how much teachers give and give. If you are struggling living in New York, you might want to consider moving.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:00 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,696,212 times
Quote:

That's the exact point of taxes, to create a community. Taxes are used towards public goods and services.

And that's exactly what they are doing. Say what you will about taxes, but they benefit teachers who are usually among those who are struggling. Would you prefer that teachers struggle while others exploit them so that they don't have to deal with high taxes? There are plenty of places in the U.S. in which teachers are the ones subsisting on crumbs. And given your gerenal disregard for teachers, education, and civility, I think you would be a much happier person if you moved to one of those places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching