Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 08:08 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I disagree teachers are underpaid, when accounting for pension value and auto increased pay you actually do quite well over time. Quoting starting pay and no benefits is very misleading.
You do of course realize that not all teachers receive a pension or auto increased pay. Not all schools are union, not all teachers work under collective bargaining/contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 08:16 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You do of course realize that not all teachers receive a pension or auto increased pay. Not all schools are union, not all teachers work under collective bargaining/contract.
Of course, but the vast majority do. NC is not union but has stepped pay and a pension. Also keep in mind teachers benefits are set in stone and private industry continues to whittle away, freeze, or do away with 401k matching, especially in rough times (which is when you want to be investing).

As a teacher, personally, I would take into account pay and benefits in my decision to work at a particular place. In reality, it's your own fault if you don't do all your research, and you have no one to blame but yourself. But to say as a whole, teachers are underpaid, when not taking into account pay AND benefits is a fallacy and deserves to be picked apart.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:19 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:
Of course, but the vast majority do. NC is not union but has stepped pay and a pension. Also keep in mind teachers benefits are set in stone and private industry continues to whittle away, freeze, or do away with 401k matching, especially in rough times (which is when you want to be investing).

As a teacher, personally, I would take into account pay and benefits in my decision to work at a particular place. In reality, it's your own fault if you don't do all your research, and you have no one to blame but yourself. But to say as a whole, teachers are underpaid, when not taking into account pay AND benefits is a fallacy and deserves to be picked apart.
Um, no....try again. Nothing is set in stone. Teachers, like everyone else, are seeing higher premiums for insurance and lowering of retirement packages in addition to pay cuts. Where do people get that teachers are somehow immune to what plagues society? Granted, there's a delayed effect with government employees but it does catch up.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Private industry often works long weeks as well. For example, investment bankers easily put in 60 to 80 hours/week. A FedEx truck driver has to work however long it takes to complete his/her route and that typically is more than 8 hours/day. They don't get off in the summer.

The reality is some jobs are a nice 8-hours and some aren't and this is known ahead of time.
And what do investment bankers make?????

How much education is required to be a FedEx driver????

I can find lots of people who make a lot more than teaches who work long hours and I can find less educated people who make less. What is your point?

Most people I now with bachelors and masters degrees are working 50 hours a week or less and making more than teachers. By the time you add in work at home, our hours compare.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Um, no....try again. Nothing is set in stone. Teachers, like everyone else, are seeing higher premiums for insurance and lowering of retirement packages in addition to pay cuts. Where do people get that teachers are somehow immune to what plagues society? Granted, there's a delayed effect with government employees but it does catch up.
States trying to reign in teachers costs have to go to extremes to get it changed, reference Scott Walker in WI. I remember reading a story where teachers were up in arms about contributing something like $20 more a paycheck toward healthcare. LOL. I wouldn't even think about that as an increase. States that are reeling in costs are states such as CA, who have 25,000 retired teachers earning a pension of $75,000 or more, and 3000 earning over $100,000. But to say that is what is happening to the average teacher is again, disingenuous.

You don't have to continue being a teacher - just quit and like you have stated on here for the longest time leave for private industry (have you quit already?). If enough people walk they'll have to raise pay if its warranted.

People in my industry also complain about low pay but very few leave.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:24 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
Quote:

I can find lots of people who make a lot more than teaches who work long hours and I can find less educated people who make less. What is your point?

Most people I now with bachelors and masters degrees are working 50 hours a week or less and making more than teachers. By the time you add in work at home, our hours compare.
During the school year, how many hours per a week do you work?

My cousin is a general manager at a hotel with an MBA in hotel management. He works 60-hour weeks and gets paid $50,000.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:

Government is the only entity that pays more for higher education automatically. I find that humorous. A teacher gets a Masters degree and all of a sudden they are worth $5k, $10k more a year and get an instant pay raise. People in private industry get a masters at their current job and 99% of the time won't receive an auto pay raise. They either have to leave for another job or move up the corporate ladder with a promotion.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
During the school year, how many hours per a week do you work?

My cousin is a general manager at a hotel with an MBA in hotel management. He works 60-hour weeks and gets paid $50,000.
I put in 60+ hours a week during the school year and about 10-15 in the summer.

Why would you compare a teacher to a hotel manager? Everyone knows different careers pay differently. My dh has an MBA, works 45 hours a week and makes twice what I do. What's your point?

And I have two masters degrees. One in engineering and the other in teaching. Why would you think I should be paid like a hotel manager? Most high school teachers are degreed in their subject area on top of having a degree in teaching. I don't know about the rest, but I put in more hours as a teacher htan I did as an engineer. I now have more education because I put a masters in teaching on top of my engineering masters. By your logic, shouldn't I be worth MORE than an engineer?

Old 08-27-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I put in 60+ hours a week during the school year and about 10-15 in the summer.

Why would you compare a teacher to a hotel manager? Everyone knows different careers pay differently. My dh has an MBA, works 45 hours a week and makes twice what I do. What's your point?
Well teachers keep comparing themselves to "other professions" that pay so much better...don't be hypocritical.

It's like you feel you are better than a hotel manager, what makes you so?

Also, for anything but college teachers, I have to question why a degree and especially more than one degree would make you more valuable. You aren't teaching that material anyway, ie the things you learn in college level engineering are not the things you'd teach in 3rd grade math class.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Government is the only entity that pays more for higher education automatically. I find that humorous. A teacher gets a Masters degree and all of a sudden they are worth $5k, $10k more a year and get an instant pay raise. People in private industry get a masters at their current job and 99% of the time won't receive an auto pay raise. They either have to leave for another job or move up the corporate ladder with a promotion.
Again, you're wrong. I got an automatic raise when I got my masters in engineering. AND my employer PAID for my masters degree!!! AND my employer gave me time to go to school!!!! (not 100% but I was free to leave early to get to class and once extended my lunch hour to take a class mid day) Employers pay for what they value. If they didn't pay more for additional degrees, there would be no incentive for employees to get said degrees. That's the point of paying teachers more for additional degrees. They want teachers to get them so they pay for them just as my employer both paid for the degree and gave raises when they were finished.

Personally, I question how valuable additional degrees are but that's not my call. Industry and government alike seem to think they are valuable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching