Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 11:32 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
It's one thing to give up compensation to do a job you think is important and is appreciated but quite another to give it up for a job you get dissed for doing. I MISS what I do for a living being respectable.
On the other hand, if YOU think it's important, that should mean something...regardless of what the less in-the-know think. This isn't a profession to go into for the ego stroking.

There are certainly many people who don't respect teaching as a profession, or teachers as professionals. This reality doesn't make ME feel that it's any less important for me to do, or that it's any less the right profession for me. If I find what I do for a living to be respectable, and something I am proud to do, that's really the bottom line. Naysayers with their own personal agendas and axes to grind taking meaningless potshots really don't have much to do with the satisfaction I get out of doing my job and doing it well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 11:58 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
In the real world we pay into our 401K - no handouts and our paid into SS is under attack
In the real world we also pay our health care premiums and have a $3,000 deductible - no handouts
In the real world we are required to be qualified before being hired. - no dumbing down
In the real world we are the taxpayers and get stuck paying for a lot of teacher vacation time while we work 12 hrs or more a day and you better not take a vacation day or call in sick.
Wake up and smell the coffee, the unions are no longer in control and taxpayers are tired of paying.
Your first phrase isn't exactly "English at its best", either...

Old 09-02-2011, 01:07 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
On the other hand, if YOU think it's important, that should mean something...regardless of what the less in-the-know think. This isn't a profession to go into for the ego stroking.

There are certainly many people who don't respect teaching as a profession, or teachers as professionals. This reality doesn't make ME feel that it's any less important for me to do, or that it's any less the right profession for me. If I find what I do for a living to be respectable, and something I am proud to do, that's really the bottom line. Naysayers with their own personal agendas and axes to grind taking meaningless potshots really don't have much to do with the satisfaction I get out of doing my job and doing it well.
It's not about ego stroking. It's about avoiding getting attacked. Constant attacks wear on me. I get tired of defending myself. I never had to defend my decision to be an engineer. There is no defense for being a teacher. I'm a second class citizen. If they just left me alone, I'd be fine. They don't. If the fact I'm a teacher comes up in conversation, within 5 minutes I will be told one or more of the following: 1) I have an easy job. 2) I'm over paid and have too many benefits. 3) I'm bad at my job and only keep it because the union protects me. 4) I'm responsible for the state of education. 5) Those who can't, teach, and those who can, do. 6) I have a part time job or too much vacation time or took the job for the vacation time. And my personal favorite, if people know I have a degree in engineering: 7) I only took this job because I couldn't find one in engineering - implying I was a lousy engineer that no one wanted to hire who is now a lousy teacher who only took the job for the money because no one else wants to hire me.

Why do people feel they have the right to pass judgement on teachers without even knowing them? Seriously, when I tell someone I'm an engineer, they actually stand a little taller. It's almost a little salute. When I tell them I'm a teacher, they slouch and/or give an eye roll. I'm finding that I don't care to have a profession that is dissed all the time. Fortunately, I have other options. I don't need someone else to tell me what I do is important but I do need them to not tell me the things they do. I'd be fine if nothing was ever said. These days, I no longer admit to being a teacher. I get more respect by referring to myself as an unemployed engineer. THAT is really sad.

I'm fine when I'm at school doing my job but the general attitude of the public really wears on me. I'm just not one to stand in the fact of adversity unless I really feel I'm doing the right thing. The fact of the matter is, there are 10 teachers in line for my job. If I don't do it, they will.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-02-2011 at 01:25 PM..

Old 09-02-2011, 04:39 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
As a taxpayer, I am frustrated with the endless crying for more and more money, especially in this economy. If someone wants to teach, that is wonderful but the elitist attitude doesn't help the cause. Teachers know the pay scale before they sign on the dotted line and then want to change the deal. How many working people in this country got huge pay increases and benefit packages this year? Most of the companies in this area are quick to tell their employees that if they don't like something their jobs can go to China. Think about that one.

If somone choses to lie about their profession how can they expect to be a moral compass for a classroom? Kids learn by example.

How many teachers salute their local cashiers? Don't they work long hours and have financial responsibilities and do it without getting their hands in the homeowner's pocket? If it wasn't for them, how would you obtain your food and clothing among other things?

Students in India worship their teachers but in this country they are just part of the workforce that went to college for job training.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:20 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:

How many teachers salute their local cashiers? Don't they work long hours and have financial responsibilities and do it without getting their hands in the homeowner's pocket? If it wasn't for them, how would you obtain your food and clothing among other things?
Cashiers do not generally work long hours. They probably have financial responsibilities, but no more than anyone else. Cashiers are necessary in the world where we have stores to buy things from certainly, but that's not the only way to obtain goods (we could barter).

Teachers do NOT have their hands in homeowners pockets. They are paid a salary to do work and it is more highly skilled than a cashier's work. The fact is that most of the people who think that teachers are overpaid, could not do our job. I always tell these folks that if they think they can teach, they are more than welcome to come and try it. They will have to get credentials and they will have to actually be in a classroom with 20 to 30 children. Most won't last more than a week.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
As a taxpayer, I am frustrated with the endless crying for more and more money, especially in this economy. If someone wants to teach, that is wonderful but the elitist attitude doesn't help the cause. Teachers know the pay scale before they sign on the dotted line and then want to change the deal. How many working people in this country got huge pay increases and benefit packages this year? Most of the companies in this area are quick to tell their employees that if they don't like something their jobs can go to China. Think about that one.

If somone choses to lie about their profession how can they expect to be a moral compass for a classroom? Kids learn by example.

Students in India worship their teachers but in this country they are just part of the workforce that went to college for job training.
Hmmmm? Doesn't everyone know the score when they sign on for a job? Applying your logic, no one should ever argue that they deserve a raise because they knew the pay scale going in.

Cashiers work long hours???? Nope. Regulations would require the store owner to pay them overtime pay if they worked more than 40 hours. You might want to try and get your "facts" straight before you post them.

You don't think cashiers have their hands in the homeowners pocket???? Where do you think their pay comes from if not from sales made in the store??? You really need to work on your "facts".

I think it is a sad testimony that teachers are not respected here as they are in Asian countries. Perhaps this has something to do with the fact they are exporting products to us and not the other way around. I've worked with Asian engineers and they value teachers and learning. They take the time to learn at the feet of the masters.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Cashiers do not generally work long hours. They probably have financial responsibilities, but no more than anyone else. Cashiers are necessary in the world where we have stores to buy things from certainly, but that's not the only way to obtain goods (we could barter).

Teachers do NOT have their hands in homeowners pockets. They are paid a salary to do work and it is more highly skilled than a cashier's work. The fact is that most of the people who think that teachers are overpaid, could not do our job. I always tell these folks that if they think they can teach, they are more than welcome to come and try it. They will have to get credentials and they will have to actually be in a classroom with 20 to 30 children. Most won't last more than a week.
Or use the self check out. I find it faster and more accurate.

Technically, we do have our hands in the tax payers pocket. Our pay comes from taxes. However, society gets something of value in return for that pay. It should be a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:41 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,238,175 times
Quote:

I don't think it's so much that they want to change the deal, as it is that they don't want to be insulted or denigrated for doing a job that they WANT TO DO that pays a good deal less than something else that they could do if they wanted to.

In other words, being underpaid is more palatable without the abuse.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:44 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,238,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
It's not about ego stroking. It's about avoiding getting attacked. Constant attacks wear on me. I get tired of defending myself. I never had to defend my decision to be an engineer. There is no defense for being a teacher. I'm a second class citizen. If they just left me alone, I'd be fine. They don't. If the fact I'm a teacher comes up in conversation, within 5 minutes I will be told one or more of the following: 1) I have an easy job. 2) I'm over paid and have too many benefits. 3) I'm bad at my job and only keep it because the union protects me. 4) I'm responsible for the state of education. 5) Those who can't, teach, and those who can, do. 6) I have a part time job or too much vacation time or took the job for the vacation time. And my personal favorite, if people know I have a degree in engineering: 7) I only took this job because I couldn't find one in engineering - implying I was a lousy engineer that no one wanted to hire who is now a lousy teacher who only took the job for the money because no one else wants to hire me.

Why do people feel they have the right to pass judgement on teachers without even knowing them? Seriously, when I tell someone I'm an engineer, they actually stand a little taller. It's almost a little salute. When I tell them I'm a teacher, they slouch and/or give an eye roll. I'm finding that I don't care to have a profession that is dissed all the time. Fortunately, I have other options. I don't need someone else to tell me what I do is important but I do need them to not tell me the things they do. I'd be fine if nothing was ever said. These days, I no longer admit to being a teacher. I get more respect by referring to myself as an unemployed engineer. THAT is really sad.

I'm fine when I'm at school doing my job but the general attitude of the public really wears on me. I'm just not one to stand in the fact of adversity unless I really feel I'm doing the right thing. The fact of the matter is, there are 10 teachers in line for my job. If I don't do it, they will.
Ivory, I've nearly asked it before, and I have to ask now: Who in the world are you associating with that is this rude and disrespectful? That is absolutely the opposite reaction that I get from the vast majority of people when the topic comes up in conversation. On the contrary, when people learn that I have been at the same notorious inner-city school for 19 years, they usually respond with admiration. I'm proud to say to anyone that I am a teacher. The people you meet do not deserve your consideration.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Ivory, I've nearly asked it before, and I have to ask now: Who in the world are you associating with that is this rude and disrespectful? That is absolutely the opposite reaction that I get from the vast majority of people when the topic comes up in conversation. On the contrary, when people learn that I have been at the same notorious inner-city school for 19 years, they usually respond with admiration. I'm proud to say to anyone that I am a teacher. The people you meet do not deserve your consideration.
Parents of my dd's peers. The last time was at a music school open house. I was just sitting with the other moms and the topic turned to what we did for a living. When I said I was a teacher, one mom got up and left, in kind of a huffy way. She caught me later when no one else was around and informed me that I'm over paid and have a part time job. The other moms chose to ignore that I said I was a teacher. Which is another interesting reaction I see. Ignore it and it will go away???

Most people just adopt a body posture that conveys contempt. It's obvious to me because I'm used to a respectful body posture when people learned I was an engineer. I'm a slow learner. There are certain venues where I never mention I teach. One is anywhere where parents hang out where I am attending in the capcity of a parent. I suspect that they feel more free to comment because I'm not acting as a teacher and I'm not their child's teacher (so there will be no negative consequences for their child due to their comments). It's interesting. If I say I'm an engineer, people stand taller, perk up and are, genuinely, interested in what I have to say. When I say I'm a teacher, they smirk, adopt a body posture that convey's contempt and sometimes even roll their eyes. It would be interesting to see if this stops once I'm no longer hanging around parents in the capacity of a parent but I'm not staying in teaching long enough to find out. I've decided I miss being respected for what I do.

Usually, parents don't insult me in parent teacher conferences. The last one who did asked "Couldn't cut it in the real world?" upon learning I used to be an engineer. Most parents know what side their child's bread is buttered on and don't want to make waves no matter what they think.

Something I have noticed is that male teachers seem to be respected. The assumption is they chose to teach in spite of being qualified to do something in industry. The assumption for me seems to be I couldn't cut it in the real world so I teach.

Church is a safe place to talk about teaching. For some reason, church people actually respect teachers....either that or they're just too polite to say what they think.

I would respond with admiration over learning you were in an inner city school too. Being able to handle that takes some real talent.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-02-2011 at 06:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching