Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2011, 02:50 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,342 times

Advertisements

Just wondering, for I am getting a terrible case of "senioritis"! I am trying to remain positive and upbeat by doing new things, but my heart is no longer in the grading and administrivia that I have to do being a team leader. And, for the first time, I find myself with little to no patience and have been sharp with a couple of students which is not like me!

Just wondering if this is normal or.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 09:41 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
My "senioritis" has been building for 10 years. With every new law, requirement and degradation of respect and lack of expectations, I feel a strongerr urge to get out.
Pretty soon teachers will be working on a commission basis--being paid for each student that passes the standardized test! And having to refund money for those who do not pass.
Teachers will be paid for ACTUAL days, not on a yearly basis so potential income will be cut to reflect 180 work days out of 365.

I believe your response to students is probably not directed at them, but more than likily directed at the bureauacracy we have to deal with in the classroom.
I am seriously hoping this is my LAST tour of duty. I am actively seeking REAL employment in a field that will recognize my talent, reward my efforts, and support my ingenuity / creativity rather than giving me scripted lesson plans to regurgitate in the classroom.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:39 AM

973 posts, read 1,705,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
My "senioritis" has been building for 10 years. With every new law, requirement and degradation of respect and lack of expectations, I feel a strongerr urge to get out.
Pretty soon teachers will be working on a commission basis--being paid for each student that passes the standardized test! And having to refund money for those who do not pass.
Teachers will be paid for ACTUAL days, not on a yearly basis so potential income will be cut to reflect 180 work days out of 365.

I believe your response to students is probably not directed at them, but more than likily directed at the bureauacracy we have to deal with in the classroom.
I am seriously hoping this is my LAST tour of duty. I am actively seeking REAL employment in a field that will recognize my talent, reward my efforts, and support my ingenuity / creativity rather than giving me scripted lesson plans to regurgitate in the classroom.
Well, I agree up to a point, but I do get more frustrated with them not working and at times by my last period, I feel like I am like a "fish wife" every now and then like last week: "I am NOT going to find another play for those students to read and analyze (we are on a proficiency model) so you WILL do the play AGAIN but differect work as 1. I don't have the time 2. You really need to take responsibility for your learninng 3. You need to know and understand the Puritan identity damnit as our whole is about the American Identity and they helped to make it!!" And yesteday, it was TS for those who AGAIN did not do the homework as they will NOT be part of the class for discussion. And with that they turned their desks around and read what they were suppose to, and those few who did read it, snugged up around the desk I was in, got candy and we quietly laughed at times as we discussed it and went over answers to make sure they were on the right track....

GRRRRRR.....It is time for me to go, before I get fired for my now short temper and "unprofessional" tude!!!

Old 10-23-2011, 10:08 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Time to look for a new adventure. There are so many out there.

Best of Luck...

Old 10-24-2011, 07:01 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,944,661 times
Just retired after 33 years. The Administrivia was the breaking point for me, not the students, co-workers, parents or school district funds. I had 3 Chiefs in the building, 1 department head in the office, 4 co-workers who were also being scrutinized (IMO rightfully should have been scrutinized long ago for some of their shenanigans), and 2 "B's" from administration calling shots, shooting emails, and dictating mandates.

Not one of them ever set foot in my cubicle, took a look at the number of students I was responsible for placement/grading/evaluating (just under 200) or the 93 IEP's I was expected to complete. Not one of them ever spoke to a student or parent about the experience/learning/growth of the student in the program. There were accolades of appreciation from my co-workers, from the student's and from the parents~all ignored or deemed frivolous by the Chiefs in Charge. At my exit interview I calmly, cooly and concisely told my immediate administrator that I never felt like I had any support for the entire year. She was shocked and asked me to explain~ I let her know the specific instances, my frustrations (again) with people assigning random tasks, asking favors, changing the rules mid stream, and then telling you that the law says you have to do this.

My mistake was leaving the classroom, at the request of one of the "B" administrators to "fix a program, put it back in a box, clean it up, make it rigorous". After one year of overhauling that program I was asked to take on an additional one, while still tweaking the previous year, with a different "B" in charge. Nail in the coffin for me. Made my decision, kept up the professionalism, and tendered my resignation.

They say you know when it's time to go~I stayed 2 years after my intended date of retirement. I've been back to sub and have heard nothing but, "you wouldn't believe...." from former co-workers and students. My response is a smile and "change is not always a bad thing".

Glad I did it, wouldn't change a thing, but also grateful I was in a position to exit with grace and the feeling that I had made enough strides for others to carry on after my departure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching