Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:15 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The average on the test I just gave was 76%. 8 students scored 100%. 25% of my students got an A. I think my tests are too easy....

Some topics (this is one of them) polarize the class. The top of the class sails through the material and gets bored while the bottom looks like deer caught in headlights. The student who cheated is not a bottom student. He just wants an A but, usually, gets B's. This wasn't an act of desperation by a student trying to pass.

I make the retest harder than the original to compensate for the fact the student gets more time to study than everyone else did AFTER having seen the test. IMO, it would be unfair to all the kids who didn't take the extra time to study if I didn't.
Was the student providing the answers one of the A students? I still wonder what that person is getting out of it. Just friendship? Being paid? Being bullied --- that would really be bad.

Is the student who received the answers desperate to get an A because of parental pressure?

Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 09:26 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,238,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Was the student providing the answers one of the A students? I still wonder what that person is getting out of it. Just friendship? Being paid? Being bullied --- that would really be bad.

Is the student who received the answers desperate to get an A because of parental pressure?

Just wondering.

I would think that it's fairly common in some schools for students to basically subscribe to some sort of unwritten code where they all collude to provide answers to as many tests as they can. You hear it said that it's all right if you don't get caught. When my bogus answer key got picked up a couple of years ago, a student took it to the copier and distributed copies freely around the school. Despite my advanced students trying to tell them that it was fake, many disregarded good advice and put their trust in some copy they got from a friend.

At my old school, the pressure to get into the NHS was very intense and I did have students cheat to try to get in. One boy got dismissed from it for cheating. It's not honorable to cheat.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:15 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:

Just wondering.
I'm not sure who provided the answers. I know two students in the same class had those answers. I'm thinking they got them from someone who took the test earlier or texted each other. The other student is not an A student. He got a B on the test. I'm more inclined to think that a picture of my test got out via cell phone. So, I will now go to different tests for each hour and a different test for those I suspect of cheating. It's annoying but necessary.

Is cheating justified if the student is being preassured by parents to get an A?

Old 03-06-2012, 05:55 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Is cheating justified if the student is being preassured by parents to get an A?
I don't think it is justified but I can certainly understand why it happens.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:

Not in my book. I just wondered.

My impression is that cheating is more widespread now than it was when I was in school. If any of my teachers ever handed out more than one version of a test, I was never aware of it.

Of course, I went to school in the days of the mimeograph machine, there were no cell phones, and there was no internet from which to grab a term paper.

In my day, about the only way to cheat was with a crib sheet, by writing answers on some part of your anatomy, or taking a peek at another student's work. Most of the people with wandering eyes got caught.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I don't think it is justified but I can certainly understand why it happens.
Regardless of why it happened, it should be dealt with appropriately. I was told to have him retake the test. He was supposed to retake it after school yesterday but went home early instead. So now retake gets put off ... so he can study more I guess.... Gee, that's a great consequence for cheating. Get more time to study and get to retake the test.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Not in my book. I just wondered.

My impression is that cheating is more widespread now than it was when I was in school. If any of my teachers ever handed out more than one version of a test, I was never aware of it.

Of course, I went to school in the days of the mimeograph machine, there were no cell phones, and there was no internet from which to grab a term paper.

In my day, about the only way to cheat was with a crib sheet, by writing answers on some part of your anatomy, or taking a peek at another student's work. Most of the people with wandering eyes got caught.
I think it is more widespread because there are more ways to cheat without getting caught. If someone gets a picture of a test out there, even if there are multiple versions, you can go over the solution set ups with your friends before the test. That might explain my 25% A's on this test. I only expected about 10% A's but none of the kids who got A's are kids I would have predicted to do poorly. I just don't have many B's on this test. Right now, I'm pretty sure this student isn't the only one who cheated so I'm thinking someone got a picture of the test. I'll be taking mroe precautions in the future.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:40 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,481 times
One of the more original ways I've seen to stop or at least reduce cheating on tests, is the use of different tests within the class. Even if its only rearranging, renumbering questions.

That way question 5 is a different question around the classroom.
'

Old 03-06-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
One of the more original ways I've seen to stop or at least reduce cheating on tests, is the use of different tests within the class. Even if its only rearranging, renumbering questions.

'
OP already does that.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post

'
I use two versions of the test. Apparently, two versions isn't enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching