Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 05:02 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Arizona and Nevada would be good options. I also heard that North Carolina is another. Really what you have to look at is which areas are experiencing population growth. Wherever there is growth in population there are new schools being built and new schools equals teaching jobs.

As for not hiring out of state that is not necessarily the case. I met and worked with teachers from Minnesota and Indiana while I taught in Arizona. And several of them interviewed for and attained their positions prior to moving.
Hiring out of state is difficult. What the OP needs to do is compare her coursework to the required coursework in various states. One reason teachers from MN can get hired out of state is that they have some of the strictest grad requirements for teachers in MN and generally they meet all of the requirements for most of the other states. That isn't the case in every state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 05:35 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Don't wait too long. My district offers most of their early contracts by now as most of their recruitment fairs have passed.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:02 AM

1,197 posts, read 2,278,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
That's good to hear scocar but was that recently?
One was hired two years ago. All were within the last 5 years. It does depend on the position though. If it's Math, Science, or SpEd they are much more likely to take you from out of state than if it's a less needy position.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Hiring out of state is difficult. What the OP needs to do is compare her coursework to the required coursework in various states. One reason teachers from MN can get hired out of state is that they have some of the strictest grad requirements for teachers in MN and generally they meet all of the requirements for most of the other states. That isn't the case in every state.
I received my degree and license in Arizona. When looking to move back to the Midwest I looked at several different states and their requirements for tranferring my license. Wisconsin was the most strict, but even they allowed for a degree from any accredited University to suffice. In Wisconsin I would have had to pass the Praxis exam, whereas in Missouri they did not require that. They simply give me the equivalent license.

Think about a situation where you went out of state to go to school, but intended to come back home to teach. If I got a teaching degree from Michigan for example would the state of Minnesota require me to go back to school to take more classes before I could take the test to get my teaching license? I would not think so. So would it be any different if I taught in Michigan for a few years and then came home? I still think that the most you would have to do is pass that states Educator Profficiency Exam.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:55 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
I received my degree and license in Arizona. When looking to move back to the Midwest I looked at several different states and their requirements for tranferring my license. Wisconsin was the most strict, but even they allowed for a degree from any accredited University to suffice. In Wisconsin I would have had to pass the Praxis exam, whereas in Missouri they did not require that. They simply give me the equivalent license.

Think about a situation where you went out of state to go to school, but intended to come back home to teach. If I got a teaching degree from Michigan for example would the state of Minnesota require me to go back to school to take more classes before I could take the test to get my teaching license? I would not think so. So would it be any different if I taught in Michigan for a few years and then came home? I still think that the most you would have to do is pass that states Educator Profficiency Exam.
Again, it depends on what your courses were. Roommate in college, MN college, from WI, had to take 2 additional courses in WI before she was allowed to sit for her licensing exam in WI. MN doesn't grant equivalency licenses. They will review your coursework and if it matches up, you are fine, but that isn't always the case. I know of 2 teachers at our high school that were experienced teachers in WI, took jobs in our school but still had to take coursework to obtain their MN license and take the MN test. They were hired conditionally and had a year to complete that--one of these teachers had a Masters in School Administration from a well respected WI school and still didn't have all of the "right" classes. These teachers had over 5 years of teaching experience in WI.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:42 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Quote:
Again, it depends on what your courses were. Roommate in college, MN college, from WI, had to take 2 additional courses in WI before she was allowed to sit for her licensing exam in WI. MN doesn't grant equivalency licenses. They will review your coursework and if it matches up, you are fine, but that isn't always the case. I know of 2 teachers at our high school that were experienced teachers in WI, took jobs in our school but still had to take coursework to obtain their MN license and take the MN test. They were hired conditionally and had a year to complete that--one of these teachers had a Masters in School Administration from a well respected WI school and still didn't have all of the "right" classes. These teachers had over 5 years of teaching experience in WI.
I agree with this, I know students from PA that went out of state for college and could not get certified in PA without taking more classes and the PA praxis tests. There is a National certification, but it's not easy or inexpensive to get.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I'm not shocked that this is the case. I applied for a Business position in La Crosse, WI, and actually got called in for an interview. I have my business certification in Arizona that I got by passing the AEPA (Arizona Educator Proficiency Exam), but I had never taught Business in Arizona. During the interview they told me that they would want me to go back to school and get my Business Education degree. They said they thought that I might be able to get a provisional certificate from Wisconsin DOE, on the condition that I go back and get my Business Education degree.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:55 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Have you looked into Teach For America? The deadline has past for this year, but you should look into it for 2013.

Teach For America | Home

If you have student loans, this could be a great solution.
Teach for America generally will not take certified teachers. They told me they were NOT an employment agency, but a critical need placement of non traditional teachers.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:01 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
The first thing a person needs from out of state is the PRAXIS II subject / content tests as there are like 30 states that require it. Michigan is one that DOES NOT have the PRAXIS, it has another test. Then as stated, other states require additional course work like in Wisconsin. WI requires a state history course and a minorities course and not all "minority" courses are acceptable.

SO before packing your bags for "anywhere" in the country, it is best to know if your degree / license will be accepted.

Quote:
Arizona and Nevada would be good options. I also heard that North Carolina is another. Really what you have to look at is which areas are experiencing population growth. Wherever there is growth in population there are new schools being built and new schools equals teaching jobs.

As for not hiring out of state that is not necessarily the case. I met and worked with teachers from Minnesota and Indiana while I taught in Arizona. And several of them interviewed for and attained their positions prior to moving.
Think twice about North Carolina. The new budget has every county, all 100, losing nearly $1 million next year. We are all holding our breath waiting to see what happens. Most counties will lose 50-70 positions on average. There has never really been a "shortage" of elementary teachers here. With East Carolina, NC State and UNC the state has quite a few teachers graduating every year. Then there is the 1st year salary of $32K that you will be stuck at forever--we have had ZERO increase in steps or cost of living since 2008.

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 04-18-2012 at 03:10 AM..

Old 04-18-2012, 06:21 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Anzatt, What grades will you be certified for? To make it even harder for teachers to get jobs, different states certify teachers different ways. My daughter was certified in one state K-9 (where she went to college) and in two others K-6 for elementary ed. The Praxis tests that are required are also not always the same ones either, except for the Praxis I, which I hope you've already done. Have you looked at this site? 50 States' Certification Requirements | Academic Services and Teacher Certification

The reciprocity they speak of can be deceiving and does not always mean that they will accept your education and certification as is. They may accept your education degree but still require you to take a certain Praxis II or, as other posters have said, another class or three.

Do you like to travel? Teaching English abroad has become increasingly popular. It does not usually pay well, but if you want to do it, now would be a good time. My daughter taught in China for a year and had a great experience and it helped her marketability for other positions.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching