Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 01:33 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times

Advertisements

just another article about inappropriate use of FB by education professionals. I have a good friend who is a teacher and she has a bunch of her students as friends. Sometimes others forget this and post some things which might not be appropriate for her students to see. In fact I bet a lot of her friends aren't even aware she has students as friends. Teachers, do you friend students or former students?

Technology News, Smartphones, Facebook & Social Media - Digital Life | TODAY.com Blogs - Principal allegedly created fake Facebook identity to befriend students
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 01:40 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,673 times
Hopefully she has her security settings set so that her students can't read her wall, or only select entries.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:54 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,720,684 times
I have a personal policy to not friend anyone (except relatives) who is still in school, and have told that to students and former students who have sent friend requests. I also have a personal policy not to be friends with parents of anyone I am currently teaching. It works for me.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:02 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,770,582 times
The story is not what is seemed. The principal threatened to file suit and the district ended up settling by buying out the rest of her contract, paying her an additional $180k, and providing letters of reference in exchange for her silence on the issue.
There was a group of about 300 students and parents trying to get her removed because she fired the football coach. The person who first alleged the account was the principal as well as all of the people the account friended happened to also all be members of the group trying to get her fired for firing the football coach.
Though the account had existed for well over a year, the allegation conveniently happened the day after the coach was informed his contract was not being renewed.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:53 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
just another article about inappropriate use of FB by education professionals. I have a good friend who is a teacher and she has a bunch of her students as friends. Sometimes others forget this and post some things which might not be appropriate for her students to see. In fact I bet a lot of her friends aren't even aware she has students as friends. Teachers, do you friend students or former students?

Technology News, Smartphones, Facebook & Social Media - Digital Life | TODAY.com Blogs - Principal allegedly created fake Facebook identity to befriend students
Once they graduate I let them friend me.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:54 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,323,982 times
I wonder if the principal was using her fake identity to "bust" the HS kids who were doing inappropriate things and posting about it online on FB? I know lots of schools that do that.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:28 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,770,582 times
The allegation is that she was using the fake profile to spy on the facebook group that was advocating for firing her for firing the coach. No one outside that facebook group was friended.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
I don't do any of that social media. My family bugs me about it and I tell them if I ever did then I would make sure I had "ZERO" friends and what good would that do them ?

Old 05-29-2012, 06:16 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
NOT...I had students on my Messenger at one time.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:21 PM

45,425 posts, read 60,623,477 times
We are encouraged to make our email available to students, we're also encouraged to have a web page.

As far as Facebook and Twitter is concerned the "official" policy is no students. BUT, there was a bunch of positive publicity earlier this year about a VP at one of the high schools who kept kids updated on Twitter. During the school day when phones are supposed to be turned off. That policy is, well, real interesting now.

We have had teachers suspended for complaints about their Facebook posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching