Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 07:10 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times

Advertisements

My kids band teacher uses Facebook to communicate with her students. She set up a group for the band and band parents. The kids can reach her on Facebook but none of them are her friend.

She uses it to post recordings of their performances. Parents and students post pictures. The kids just use it to talk to one another and keep in touch. It is a closed group and the band teacher has to add all members.

We have a football parent who takes great photos. I post all of his pictures on that page and all the other parents can download their child's photo from that page.

It works really well. The kids feel like they can talk to their teacher on FB but they don't have access to her personal page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 07:27 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,202 times
I have a FB page just for my (college) classes where I post pertinent things (interesting news articles, etc.) I don't friend students on my regular FB page.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:28 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
The elementary school in which I teach has a FB page and encourages families to check it for updates. We don't really send anything home anymore. It's all on Blackboard, our school's website, or FB.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:53 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
just another article about inappropriate use of FB by education professionals. I have a good friend who is a teacher and she has a bunch of her students as friends. Sometimes others forget this and post some things which might not be appropriate for her students to see. In fact I bet a lot of her friends aren't even aware she has students as friends. Teachers, do you friend students or former students?

Technology News, Smartphones, Facebook & Social Media - Digital Life | TODAY.com Blogs - Principal allegedly created fake Facebook identity to befriend students

originally i only allowed graduated students to friend me, slowly that snow balled into current students / athletes. i do even have a few parents on my friends list. thankfully all my "real friends" on FB know better. my FB wall generally only has school related stuff on it anyways. any personal contact with friends i do through the messaging device on FB. have yet to have a problem. in fact 6 or 7 other teachers at my school have current students on their friends list. if you have half a brain you can manage it. facebook doesn't get you in trouble, you get yourself in trouble.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:54 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
My kids band teacher uses Facebook to communicate with her students. She set up a group for the band and band parents. The kids can reach her on Facebook but none of them are her friend.

She uses it to post recordings of their performances. Parents and students post pictures. The kids just use it to talk to one another and keep in touch. It is a closed group and the band teacher has to add all members.

We have a football parent who takes great photos. I post all of his pictures on that page and all the other parents can download their child's photo from that page.

It works really well. The kids feel like they can talk to their teacher on FB but they don't have access to her personal page.

i did that for my swimmers and wrestlers. i set up and manage a swim page and wrestling page with both current and former student athletes on it as well as a parents.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:00 PM

1,197 posts, read 2,279,109 times
While I taught 7th and 8th in Arizona I had a policy that I would not befriend any students on FB. I befriended them on myspace once they went to high school and were no longer students of mine. My myspace account was pretty much strictly for former students. Once facebook pretty much took over and made myspace obsolete I relaxed that and would befriend former students only after they graduated high school. When I moved to Arizona I allowed all former students to be friends on FB with me, but the ones still in high school I restricted from seeing most stuff.

I would never have a current student as a friend on facebook. I do not think that is appropriate. But former students I see no problem with.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:18 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
We have a very clear, very strict media policy. Adding current students to friends lists is one of many things that can result in immediate termination.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:40 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
I have a personal policy to not friend anyone (except relatives) who is still in school, and have told that to students and former students who have sent friend requests. I also have a personal policy not to be friends with parents of anyone I am currently teaching. It works for me.
I agree! This post could have been written by me. I even use the term "personal policy", and I adhere to it, including not attending my students birthday parties.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:40 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
I agree! This post could have been written by me. I even use the term "personal policy", and I adhere to it, including not attending my students birthday parties.
I agree. Why do parents invite teachers to their kids' parties??? There is a line....

Old 05-30-2012, 06:48 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I would have had no problem adding my students as FB friends. Nothing posted on my wall is ever inappropriate. Anyone with sense knows their FB page should be rated "G". And should be an open book. I guess my life is clean and I have nothing to hide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching