Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think teachers are?
Teachers are professionals. 23 54.76%
Teachers are professionals but need to present a more professional image. 11 26.19%
Teachers are blue collar workers. 2 4.76%
Teachers are overpaid, whiney babysitters. 6 14.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 05:17 PM

508 posts, read 1,674,010 times

Advertisements

How do you view teaching as a profession?

It seems alot of people want to complain about teachers and the idea that we make to much money and only work part time. I have even had the displeasure of having friends (who were very wealthy) say to me that they would never live in a neighborhood with teachers because they are so pathetic and nothing more than overpriced, whiney babysitters. Needless to say, that conversation pretty much ended our "friendship" but I have to admit that this viewpoint is more common than I thought.

So, are we professionals, blue collar workers, babysitters, or something else?

My personal opinion is that we are in fact professionals. Given the nature of the requirements to become a teacher and the skills involved with teaching, we are by definition professionals. However, I do not think we (generalizing here so don't flame me) present ourselves in a professional manner. When I see teachers in flip-flops, jeans, and a hooded sweatshirt, a warm-up jump suit, or tennis shoes and denim shorts with a t-shirt I do not think a professional image is presented. When I see teachers looking like they rolled out of bed and drove to work, I don't think a professional image is presented. Do you think, as teachers, we could present a more professional image to the community as a means to begin to be seen as professionals? What else could we do to present ourselves as the professionals we are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 06:01 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,256,733 times
I have the utmost respect for teachers. My husband's family also comes from a line of teachers. I taught for a year and couldn't "hack it". I would literally be in school for 10+ hours every day. Anyone can be a teacher but to be a great teacher, that takes a LOT of work, time, passion, and dedication.

Professionalism I think varies from school to school, location to location. I think age is also a factor. Older generations may find it hard to dress down in shorts or it could be the other way around, "I'm old, and I've earned my right to dress whatever way I want!" Schools/districts also set their own standards but I think all in all, in any job, we should always practice caution and stick to a conservative dress code.

People who think teachers are nothing more than glorified babysitters, I find it sad how little respect they have for the person who is perhaps shaping your child's future, or at least taking a hand in it.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:15 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,493,056 times
well obviously someone who voted thinks we are glorified babysitters

I know that my father-in-law had once said to me something along the lines of "........oh please, all you do is babysit a bunch of kids for a couple of hours". (hoping he was joking!)

Of course I am biased-being a teacher

But: we teach children to read, write, do arithmetic...explain and explore, grow socially and academically...perhaps be the only positive part of that child's life...we're held accountable for so much- failing or passing a kid and hoping it was the right choice...keeping parents involved...documenting and documenting and documenting on numerous kids throughout every day...wiping poop off the wall and a child's ankle and clothing at the same time as trying to keep order with 20-30 other children...keeping children motived, interested and engaged for such a long period of time....we do see the children more than their own parents throughout the school year...constantly keeping up with our education...grading and creating different kinds of assessements and lessons for perhaps as many as 8 different children in your class because everyone is NOT on the same level-it's not the days of one textbook for all here...we are mother, father, nurse, counselor, policeman, along with teacher....perhaps have a class where half of the children do not speak English but we are expected to have them progress the same as the other children...we do put on many many many more hours than on paper...I do NOT make $40K, but I owe way more than that in student loans....

I don't know where people get this attitude that teachers don't do enough. Maybe it's because they haven't walked in our shoes. I know that before I became a teacher, I never knew exactly what that entailed, and yes, I did think it was going to be way easier than it is...so I guess I was blinded too.

It goes back to you have to be a teacher. And if you know teachers...perhaps you don't know the actual teacher- the one who makes a difference and gives 110%...and it's just the one who is in it for the summers "off".

Old 09-21-2007, 06:16 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,493,056 times
I know at my school we are specifically told that we can't wear jeans, sweatparents, cute sweat outfits-none of that. I do think that we have to dress proper-even when we're out. Inside and outside of the classroom we are role models. I can't even count how many times I have run into parents and children outside of my classroom...and thanking GOD that I was dressed alright (no daisy-dukes or halftops!!).

Old 09-21-2007, 06:21 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,192,866 times
We have started requiring the students in our County to wear uniforms. They look much better and hopefully will do better. Some of the teachers are screaming bloody murder because they are also expected to dress better too. Some just don't seem to care what they look like. How do they expect the children to respect them and what they do if they look as if they don't care?

Now, I will admit that the teachers in the early grades need to be able to get down on the floor with the little ones, but the teachers in the Middle and High Schools need to look professional if they expect to be treated that way.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:24 PM

Whoa, uniforms for teachers? Yikes!

Old 09-21-2007, 06:58 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,192,866 times
No, not uniforms for the teachers, but neat whatevers. It's a matter of looking as if one cares about appearance. After all, they are supposed to be preparing the students to go out into the world to support themselves. Learning how to dress properly is one of the things they should learn.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:00 PM

OMG, I'm such a dope ... I thought I read that the teachers were required to wear uniforms! Yes, I absolutely agree with you, dressing appropriately is definitely a lesson to be learned!

Old 09-21-2007, 09:00 PM

508 posts, read 1,674,010 times
Unfortunately I am not surprised by the responses. So far it seems as though an equal split exists between the idea that we are overpaid babysitters or professionals. For those that think we are overpaid babysitters, can you please explain why? What is it that makes you think this way?

Old 09-21-2007, 10:41 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,572,790 times
I am a teacher. And I don't really give a damn what people think of me. Because the truth of the matter is if society wants to have a negative perception of my profession, I will gladly move to Spain or somewhere else in Europe where teachers are well respected. Furthermore, perhaps our attitude towards teachers is a reason why our economy, which is all smoke and mirrors, is starting to falter. We do not take education seriously in this country. We pay the guy who makes sales by getting clients laid at the local strip bar more than not only teachers but many other professions that are much more deserving. So, are teachers well respected in the United States? I think not. Is it an accident that the Canadian Dollar and the Euro is beating U.S. currency lately and seems to only be getting stronger? Again, I think not. The fact that we even have to ask such a question tells me exactly the direction our country is going. Sprinkle that with 8 years of Bush encouraging every country in the free world to hate us, well you get the picture. In the meantime I will keep the faith and continue to teach here. I know things will get better when Bush and the boys leave. And I could care less what party wins. As long as it's a group of people that wants to better the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching