Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 10:04 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times

Advertisements

AbqTeacher. Many years ago I found that I did not have the courage to be a teacher and, although I thoroughly enjoyed teaching as a graduate student, I ran from the profession as a career as fast as I could. There are several people in these education threads who appear to be very good educators and reading your comments I suspect you are one. I'm hoping your name means you teach in the Albuquerque area which is where my grandchildren now attend school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 10:34 PM

442 posts, read 615,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbqTeacher View Post
"The students only listen to you and respect you because you're a man."

No, sorry. The students listen to me because I set clear expectations followed with immediate consequences if they're broken. I also micromanage 90% of the details in my lesson, identify problems before they occur, and try and mitigate those issues. But, please, go ahead and keep making excuses for the bedlam that you call lessons.

/rant

That said, there is probably a very small advantage to being a guy, simply because at home "dad" is usually the one that gets scary when mad. However, I've seen enough male teachers that are completely disrespected by their students to believe it doesn't make a tremendous difference. I'm just tired of my effective classroom management, which is a product of hard work and planning, being written off as a product of my gender Any other educators out there relate to this?
I'm not a teacher...I could see how that would be frustrating.

OTOH, my son has come in contact with very few male educators at this point in his education. I know that as he gets older, in the later grades there are many more male teachers. I'd have to imagine that for some boys this makes for a positive change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching