Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 03:35 PM

481 posts, read 1,060,008 times

Advertisements

At the library, I see other tutors teaching kids the same age as the two I teach, teaching the same things in much the same way. I try to make my lessons fun and interacting, using a white board and an iPad. I also have a great relationship with the kids. Smiles and all. BUT for 45 minutes, it's constant negotiation...it's like pulling teeth. The kids, 7 and 8, like me but they just don't want to do any work. BUT the other kids, not mine, are sitting nicely doing their work. I did notice that those tutors bring the kids into the library, so the mom is not in the building. Could this be making a difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 05:47 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
It's possible - when I was a teacher I definitely noticed that kids were very often poorly behaved when mom was around compared to when it was just teachers. However, there are plenty of other possibilities, like that it's the kids' personalities, the consequences or rewards their parents have put in place, what they ate or whether they ate first, how much exercise they got, and so on. There are so many variables. It could, of course, be something about you or your lessons, but that's no more likely than anything else. You'll just have to experiment and see if changing this or that can make a difference.

Let me also add that I've done a lot of one-on-one interventions with kids that age (although never with a parent around), and usually found that by themselves they were willing to work much harder than other settings - like, even kids who did nothing in a classroom worked when we were alone. However, at that age I never would have gone past 30 minutes of intense work. Perhaps a shorter time period of hard work, with a promise of something easy or fun at the end might help? Maybe not, but just an idea.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:03 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
It makes a BIG diff when the mom is not around.....just ask anyone whose place your kids have visited....they're good as gold....

Old 08-24-2012, 06:45 PM

36 posts, read 64,918 times
It is def mom not around!

Old 08-24-2012, 07:06 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
It makes a BIG diff when the mom is not around.....just ask anyone whose place your kids have visited....they're good as gold....
I often wonder what alien life forms take over my kids bodies when they go to friend's houses. I'd like those frendly, polite and ambitious aliens to take up permanent residence....

Old 08-26-2012, 09:56 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
ain't that the truth!!!

Old 08-30-2012, 08:40 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
It could be that these two just really "feed" off each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching