Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 04:47 PM

809 posts, read 1,331,446 times

Advertisements

I am requesting this info for a friend.
Any ideas/books for dealing with an emotional support class- the teacher is at her breaking point- the students grade 1st thru 4th have major meltdowns almost everyday. 8 students, 2 teachers, 2 aides and one therapist are in the classroom at most times- the staff works well together but these poor kids have such poor home situations - (ex.- last night the the grandmother and mother had a situation at home, the police were called, both women were taken away in handcuffs- the child was with a temp. foster family for the evening- he wanted to come to school in the morning so he came in today - needless to say- it was an unbearable day.
Several of the students are on probation- social services is involved with each child but their answer to all of these problems is to put them in a residential setting (if they are put there- they have absolutely no chance).

The administration is very supportive-but the staff in this classroom are at their wits end.
Does anyone have any constructive suggestions? Has anyone ever taught in a situation such as this? The staff continues to move forward- are consistent, but they are rapidly becoming extremely discouraged and no one has any suggestions how to deal with this very challenging class. (they are thankful the students are so young- none of them want to deal with this group when they are in middle school or high school).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 08:30 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
I would create "fun" activities yo do until the kids start to "trust" the adults.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:17 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
The behavioral disabilites (emotional disabilities) teachers in my school district swear by having dimly lit classrooms, the fluorescent lights are turned off and the room is lit by table/desk lamps, floor lamps and some natural light. They often set up a corner of the room like a family livingroom, with soft comfy, upholstered child size chairs, bean bags, an area rug (like in a home not a "classroom type" rug) and floor lamps. They feel that it is very calming for their students.

Some of the elementary level BD teachers have a little play tent filled with soft pillows and, maybe a small very soft blanket, or a similar, small, cozy area to crawl inside to feel "safe".

Suggest these ideas to your friend. Good luck to her.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:46 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,837,831 times
I had a middle school "behavior class" a few years ago and I'll second the dimmed lights. The cozy corner sounds nice, but my kids would have spent more time punching the beanbag chairs and throwing pillows at each other than actually calming down .....

She might also want to try an oil diffuser with a calming scent such as lavender or vanilla.

It's definitely a challenging situation -- I wish her the best of luck.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. They do have the cozy corner set up- I will tell her about the lights and the diffuser. At this point anything is worth trying!!

Old 01-12-2013, 01:36 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
I had a middle school "behavior class" a few years ago and I'll second the dimmed lights. The cozy corner sounds nice, but my kids would have spent more time punching the beanbag chairs and throwing pillows at each other than actually calming down .....

She might also want to try an oil diffuser with a calming scent such as lavender or vanilla.

It's definitely a challenging situation -- I wish her the best of luck.
Many of our teachers also use calming scents. A former BD teacher had a real punching bag set up in the corner of her room, partially hidden by a wall (I believe for privacy). Some of her students were able to get out their aggressive needs with the punching bag. Other teachers strongly disagreed on that method, but I wanted to suggest it.

If some of the children have sensory needs weighted blankets may help. You can also get weighted lap pads or weighted "stuffed animals" to keep on your lap to help you calm down. Weighted vests or weighted collars work very well for some children.

The teacher can't really do anything about their home life, only make school a warm, loving, safe place. If the children need things like breakfast, extra sleep, clean clothes, sometimes you can help with that. If the child was awake all night because their parents were fighting or the police sirens were sounding again and again, what is more important, todays math lesson or talking about your fears with the teacher or even being able to take a nap in a place where you know you are safe from harm? Administrators do not always agree with that method (helping with food, etc) but how can a child learn unless their basic needs are met?

I wish your friend well. She needs to make sure that she isn't ignoring her health needs by being overwhelmed with her difficult job teaching special education.

Last edited by germaine2626; 01-12-2013 at 01:50 PM..

Old 01-13-2013, 01:03 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
Routine and consistency. Their lives at home are chaos. So, make school a safe and completely predictable environment. Schedule, post it, and follow it. Religiously.

And create, calming routines. I had ED kids, with the same type of environment. I had soothing music in my classroom, in the morning, we had a series of "rituals", that were more about just getting the kids settled down and chill.

The kids actually become quite "OCD" about their "routines". It becomes the one predicable, thing in their life that is in their control.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:52 PM

Thanks for your posts- very helpful!. I did talk to her about your suggestions. She has tried most except the lights- she is going to see if this can be done- (she is afraid the kids will knock the lamps over or worse throw them at someone - she is going to see what can be done). She has requested the weighted blankets for years - the therapist actually requested them as well, but they never get them. We are going to see if we can find a grant to write that she would be able to purchase the weighted blankets. Thanks again for your help!.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:05 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,837,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
Thanks for your posts- very helpful!. I did talk to her about your suggestions. She has tried most except the lights- she is going to see if this can be done- (she is afraid the kids will knock the lamps over or worse throw them at someone - she is going to see what can be done). She has requested the weighted blankets for years - the therapist actually requested them as well, but they never get them. We are going to see if we can find a grant to write that she would be able to purchase the weighted blankets. Thanks again for your help!.
Yeah, lamps could be problematic.

My classrooms have generally had two light switches, and we only flip one of them. That way, we're using only about half the lights -- more than enough to work by, but not so glaringly bright that no one can focus. Most teachers at my school do this, even in the RegEd classes. Is that an option for her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching