Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 02:01 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

DAYTONA BEACH -- A veteran Volusia teacher has been suspended without pay for one day for making inappropriate racial comments to his second-graders at Westside Elementary School.

The School Board recently suspended Billy C. Miles, 60, over an April incident in which he referred to some of his students as "black people" and addressed the only white child in the class as "white boy." Miles, who is black, told investigators he was only joking with the children and his remarks weren't racial in nature.

Volusia teacher suspended over racial comments - News (http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/local/east-volusia/2011/08/31/volusia-teacher-suspended-over-racial-comments.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 09:35 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
He was only suspended for one day? I'm surprised it wasn't more, or that he didn't lose his job. "Get your white tail over here"? He should have received more than a one day suspension.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:12 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
DAYTONA BEACH -- A veteran Volusia teacher has been suspended without pay for one day for making inappropriate racial comments to his second-graders at Westside Elementary School.

The School Board recently suspended Billy C. Miles, 60, over an April incident in which he referred to some of his students as "black people" and addressed the only white child in the class as "white boy." Miles, who is black, told investigators he was only joking with the children and his remarks weren't racial in nature.

Volusia teacher suspended over racial comments - News (http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/local/east-volusia/2011/08/31/volusia-teacher-suspended-over-racial-comments.html - broken link)
Well, he simply broke the unwritten rules of political correctness. He did not call them those names to denigrate them. He clearly said the reality is that some people are white and others are black and as has been his custom called them by using their race, not to say blacks or whites are bad. People are getting so sensitive and take offense to everthing. Granted in the spirit of political correctness that has taken over the country at least the principal could have the teacher in his office, discuss the issue and let him know that is no longer allowed due to the sensitive atmosphere in our country of getting offended for everything and the feeling of the right to not be offended. Take care.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:30 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,585,020 times
I agree with elamigo about people being oversensitive about racism, but "get your white tail over here" and making differences among their students is not correct. And a day is probably not enough if the teacher has done it repeatedly.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:10 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
I agree with elamigo about people being oversensitive about racism, but "get your white tail over here" and making differences among their students is not correct. And a day is probably not enough if the teacher has done it repeatedly.
So if it's a class full of Christians and one Jewish kid, "get your Jew tail over here!" would be acceptable? How about addressing the kid who's disabled by saying "get your crippled self in line!" ?
Or-- hey, how about just saying "Come here, Freddy!"
Nah, that last clearly would never fly.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:45 PM

As a white male, I think I probably would have been fired for saying something like what he said to my elementary students.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:04 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,585,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
So if it's a class full of Christians and one Jewish kid, "get your Jew tail over here!" would be acceptable? How about addressing the kid who's disabled by saying "get your crippled self in line!" ?
Or-- hey, how about just saying "Come here, Freddy!"
Nah, that last clearly would never fly.
You need to understand what you're reading. I said that I agree with the teacher being suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post

Old 09-09-2011, 05:38 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,696,212 times
Oh, please. If this teacher had been white and had been making such comments to African American students ("Hey, black boy, get your black tail over here"), he would have been called a racist and/or fired.

I've lived and have taught in Florida and can testify to the fact that there is a lot of racial tension as well as discrimination against whites; when they are in minority positions, the so-called minorities make sure to treat them as second-class citizens. Yet people either excuse it or don't consider it racism b/c the victims are white and the perpetrators are supposed "minorities."

This man should not be teaching. His comments were not just un-politically correct, they were flat-out racist. I don't think that he is a proper role model and/or intellectual leader for young children, who might internalize his perspective and emulate his behavior; this just isn't the kind of person who should be a teacher.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:52 PM

624 posts, read 1,247,664 times
Hey I'm getting my dumb butt outha here ! smile

Old 09-09-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Oh, please. If this teacher had been white and had been making such comments to African American students ("Hey, black boy, get your black tail over here"), he would have been called a racist and/or fired.

This man should not be teaching. His comments were not just un-politically correct, they were flat-out racist. I don't think that he is a proper role model and/or intellectual leader for young children, who might internalize his perspective and emulate his behavior; this just isn't the kind of person who should be a teacher.
You're absolutely correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching