Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 06:20 PM

240 posts, read 808,222 times

Advertisements

I am always looking for stress busting techniques that will help deal with our heavy work loads in the education field. This is my 25th year teaching high school and by golly, I am not going to let the powers that be get me down. Care to share your stress buster? Here are a few that work for me:

1. Exercise in the morning before school starts. Don't ask what time I get up. It is insane, but it works.
2. Leaving work AT work. I used to bring papers home, but it helps to stay a bit later at school and finish it rather than dump all of the paperwork in my briefcase and hope I eventually get to it before the next school day. Yeah, that never happens.
3. Focusing on a hobby. I garden and plan on taking drum lessons.
4. Slowly breathe in the good air and slowly breathe out the bad air (especially at meetings or in the middle of the night when I wake up in one of those "I still have a billion things to complete on my to do list!" moments).

I am hoping to keep this thread positive. My doctor has told me that I must do something about my stress level based on my last physical. I still love teaching and trying to stick it out until retirement. What has worked for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 06:25 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Absolutely agree with avoiding taking paperwork home unless it is a major crisis if I don't.

Also exercise and keeping my work friends limited to positive, upbeat colleagues...complainers can be draining, and negative attitudes are too infectuous.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:12 AM

240 posts, read 808,222 times
So true about keeping upbeat work friends. I always tell first year teachers to stay out of the teacher's lounge. Someone told me this many, many years ago and it has worked for me.

I also have been reading numerous articles on multi-tasking and I am trying to limit myself to doing one objective at a time instead of twenty seven.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:20 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Paxil or Xanax....though most teaches I know just self medicate with alcohol....

Seriously, teachers drink WAY more than engineers.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:50 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Red Stag bourbon on the ROCKS--DOUBLE...ocassionally a double of Four Roses--it is GMO free...LOL

Old 09-01-2013, 08:33 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Seriously, my best stress busting technique was having a peer group I could rant with. A safe place to lket it all go. We used to go out 1-2 a month to different places. Resturants, movies, concerts, plays and across the border to Windsor for the same.
It gave us a chance to vent and established a SAFE circle of friends who all had each others back. That alone was a great stress buster--Knowing you could trust your peers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching