Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 02:56 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,354,126 times

Advertisements

I've got an 11 year old girl in my life who is really struggling in school and doesn't want to do the hard work she needs to to get good grades. She wants to be a veterinarian when she grows up. Would it be motivating for her to take her to an actual vet who can talk to her about his/her work and what they had to do to become a vet? Or is she just too young for this to be of any help.
She's experienced a lot of chaos in her life in the last couple of years, so I know that's a complicating factor, but things are starting to calm down and I really want to help her get a grip on how important her education is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 06:19 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
The future from her point of view is what's on TV tonight and can she have Mac-n-Cheese or PIZZA for dinner...My advise is get INVOLVED in her education and let her see it is important to you and that you VALUE her efforts.

I really doubt any reasoning or rational discussion is going to motivate her. But if anything might work, the old One for the Gipper speech might be the one.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:43 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,354,126 times
I certainly intend to do that. We have completely revised her class schedule and incorporated one-on-one attention and tutoring as well as exploring different ways of learning that should help her bring her skills up to her grade level. We are hoping to achieve some small victories from which she can build larger victories. Her self esteem is so low, we can only go up from here. Fortunately we have some dedicated and passionate education professionals that are heavily invested in her success.
Curses on the drug addicted/alcoholic "parents" who brought her to this state. She is bright and beautiful but has no clue what her potential is.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:25 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,660 times
How wonderful she has you in her life! It sounds like you are doing significant things to put positive structure in her education. Give this time to work. If you can get her up to grade level, even if its not exactly excelling then she can make the decision in high school about how hard she wants to work to achieve her goals. I hope she turns into a success story.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:45 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,918 times
Motivating an 11 year old for future life goals? Really? At 11 years old most kids are just exploring life. However, if this child is one of the lucky ones who knows what he/she wants to do with his/her life, how about encouraging him/her to volunteer at an animal shelter or vets office?

This way the child can gain valuable experience and learn what is really needed in the field. Also, he/she can get an idea of what happens in this profession, and decide, based on experience if he/ she wants to pursue this field.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:57 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Motivating an 11 year old for future life goals? Really? At 11 years old most kids are just exploring life. However, if this child is one of the lucky ones who knows what he/she wants to do with his/her life, how about encouraging him/her to volunteer at an animal shelter or vets office?

This way the child can gain valuable experience and learn what is really needed in the field. Also, he/she can get an idea of what happens in this profession, and decide, based on experience if he/ she wants to pursue this field.
I would suggest this also. Many, many animal shelters welcome volunteer dog walkers to help socialize and train the dogs so that they are more easily adopted. Volunteer agencies such as riding programs for the handicapped also welcome volunteers. Working with animals has been proven over and over again to raise the self-esteem of children and adults who have been steam-rolled by the circumstances of their lives. A residential school for children with numerous behavior issues in a neighboring town has long had a riding program for just this reason.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:22 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,918 times
Linda, funny thing is when humans with no hope connects with animals and learn to work with them begans to see hope and can turn their lives around. When lives turn to service, there is no stopping them. My hope is that some day, we will all realize that we are all in this world together and must support each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching