Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 03:46 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,957,158 times

Advertisements

How much should my adopted four year old son be able to read? I said ""adopted"" because maybe its okay for an adopted son to be behind in milestones during the first couple years due to a traumatic ""babyhood"" if I can call it that. Or am I setting his standards too low? I don't know if I should be ""realistic"" which translates to setting standards too low or too ""optimistic"'?

How many words can a 4 year old boy read? I've heard girls read faster?

I'm open to anything that will make my son read. He is at less than 10 words right now about 8. Is this normal?

How do I make him progress?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-04-2014 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: Added first sentence for clarification and fixed grammer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 03:50 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,883,485 times
He's FOUR? He'll learn to read in kindergarten. Eight words is plenty. If he knows his alphabet when he enters K he'll be ahead of a lot of his peers.

If you want to HELP him progress (not MAKE him) take him to the public library every week, check out 10 books each week and read them with him several times during the week. And take him to story time at the library. Make it a regular part of your family routine.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:09 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
My older two boys were little reading machines, beginning in preschool. My third child? He would not read anything to me no matter what I said or did. I knew he was smart, and he liked to be read to, but he would not show me what he knew.

It didn't matter to him until he got to elementary school, and they could choose books in the library. The books had color-coded stickers that marked what reading level they fit into, and kids could choose independently according to color of the sticker.

In 2nd grade, my son figured out that he could "only" read books with a light blue sticker, the lowest reading level. He is competitive, and when he figured this out, he wanted to move to a higher level.

With a combination of sight words, Dr. Seuss books (which drive me nuts, but they worked in this case) and LOTS of practice at night, he now reads at a 7th-/8th-grade level in 4th grade.

Each kid is different, but sometimes they really are "late bloomers."

Just read to him a lot. His teachers will evaluate him when he gets to school.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:18 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
I said ""adopted"" because maybe its okay for an adopted son to be behind in milestones during the first couple years due to a traumatic ""babyhood"" if I can call it that. Or am I setting his standards too low? I don't know if I should be ""realistic"" which translates to setting standards too low or too ""optimistic"'?

How many words can a 4 year old by read? I say boy I heard girls read faster?

I'm open to anything that will make my son read. He is at less than 10 words right now about 8. Is this normal?

At four, he does not need to be reading at all. It isn't bad if he is, but it is not typical for a 4 year old to read. Many children don't learn to read if they are pushed, btw.

Note there are things you can help him with to get him ready for reading in kindergarten.
Read him lots of books and engage him in them.
Point to words as you read so that he gets the right to left sequence.
Play with sounds and rhymes. Dr. Suess is good for this, so are songs that have rhyming words.
Tell stories and have him tell you stories. It helps to get that there is a beginning, middle and end of a story.

We used this one and had the preK kids make up animals and their own rhymes.

Down by the Bay - YouTube

We also used K-K-K-Katy with the kids names so they got the consonant sounds

K-K-K-Katy, beautiful Katy,
You're the only g-g-g-girl that I adore;
When the m-moon shines,
Over the cowshed,
I'll be waiting at the k-k-k-kitchen door.

B-b-b-billy, handsome Billy
You're the only b-b-b-boy that I adore
When the m-moon shines
over the cowshed

He might enjoy Starfall

Starfall's Learn to Read with phonics

Every child learns to read, do math, etc. at their own pace and late readers are just as likely to be gifted as early readers.

Last edited by nana053; 01-03-2014 at 04:31 PM..

Old 01-03-2014, 04:21 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,976 times
I was reading by that age so I don't know...

Old 01-03-2014, 04:25 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
I said ""adopted"" because maybe its okay for an adopted son to be behind in milestones during the first couple years due to a traumatic ""babyhood"" if I can call it that. Or am I setting his standards too low? I dont know if I should be ""realistic"" which translates to setting standards too low or too ""optimistic"'?

How many words can a 4 year old by read? I say boy I heard girls read faster?

A normal 4 year old boy can't read any words except maybe his name. Mine can't, and I used to be a reading teacher, plus he's been in preschool since he was 1. Sounds like you are overdoing it if you are counting words he can read before he even goes to school. Relax.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:31 PM

533 posts, read 1,198,557 times
My older son couldn't read much more than his name, stop, yes, no at 4 years old. But we read to him constantly. By kindergarten, he was an accelerated reader and within the top 2% based on standardized assessment tests. Better yet, he loves reading, because its always been part of his life.

Just keep reading to him, and don't push. He's learning more than you realize. The rest will come.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:34 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Every kid is different.

Just work with what you have and it'll all work out.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:34 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,957,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
At four, he does not need to be reading at all. It isn't bad if he is, but it is not typical for a 4 year old to read. Many children don't learn to read if they are pushed, btw.

Note there are things you can help him with to get him ready for reading in kindergarten.
Read him lots of books and engage him in them.
Point to words as you read so that he gets the right to left sequence.
Play with sounds and rhymes. Dr. Suess is good for this, so are songs that have rhyming words.
Tell stories and have him tell you stories. It helps to get that their is a beginning, middle and end of a story.

We used this one and had the preK kids make up animals and their own rhymes.

Down by the Bay - YouTube

We also used K-K-K-Katy with the kids names so they got the consonant sounds

K-K-K-Katy, beautiful Katy,
You're the only g-g-g-girl that I adore;
When the m-moon shines,
Over the cowshed,

B-b-b-billy, handsome Billy
You're the only b-b-b-boy that I adore
When the m-moon shines
over the cowshed

He might enjoy Starfall

Starfall's Learn to Read with phonics

Every child learns to read, do math, etc. at their own pace and late readers are just as likely to be gifted as early readers.
Thanks for your input but when I look at Chinese kids, at 4 they can read, multiply, divide, play violin & piano so I thought he is behind. Then once I watched Oprah & I saw a TWO year old who could map read. Its difficult to know what is supposed to be normal. Its like these little geniuses have become the new normal? Then you log on to to CD and you hear about 4 year olds reading a small book back to back. I cant rememember the ""mompetition" thread but someone's sister here was upset and jealous because their kid could read back to back at four? Goes on & on but you wonder whats normal for a 4 year old?

My son had a very bad babyhood I fear he can never catch up again?

Old 01-03-2014, 04:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
I couldn't read at 4. My kids couldn't read a 4. Most kids I've known my entire life couldn't read at 4. Except one.

Your adopted stepson not behind on the reading milestone.

Your job right now is to make reading fun via reading stories to him. Don't push him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching