Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 12:22 AM

20,125 posts, read 16,144,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I don't know. I find that I can relate to them easily, so I take advantage of it. I do no more than a visitor who comes to talk to the students about possible colleges or career choices. I give them positive feedback, laugh with them, and try to get to know them. I've seen this kind of behavior modeled by experienced teachers at all levels. I don't think I'm really crossing any lines. My alternative would be to just stand in the corner or sit at a desk. Revealing to the students who I am as a professional and as a person is preferable to that, right?
Depends on how you do it and what you discuss. You aren't being paid to discuss college and career choices with them, you are being paid to assure that the lesson plans left by the regular classroom teacher are followed and that everyone is safe. It is not preferable if you are blurring boundary lines. The two alternatives you present aren't the only two. What is preferable is that you assign the work on the lesson plans, walk the room to assure all are working throughout the class period, maintain an environment as close to the normal functioning of the class as possible, and always present a professional demeanor.

I have never, and will never, have kids of any age run over me. Part of the reason is that I act the part of the person in charge at all times and make it clear we all have a function in that classroom - them as students, me as the teacher. Kids have lots of people in that school to be their friend, but that day you are their teacher, you are the only one who is filling that role. They need you to be their teacher, not their friend. You asked for advice....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 05:41 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I don't know. I find that I can relate to them easily, so I take advantage of it. I do no more than a visitor who comes to talk to the students about possible colleges or career choices. I give them positive feedback, laugh with them, and try to get to know them. I've seen this kind of behavior modeled by experienced teachers at all levels. I don't think I'm really crossing any lines. My alternative would be to just stand in the corner or sit at a desk. Revealing to the students who I am as a professional and as a person is preferable to that, right?

Really, though, you came here asking for help because what you are doing is NOT working.

There are alternatives between what you're doing and "standing in the corner."

They don't need to know who you are as a pro or a person. By doing what you describe, you are shooting yourself in the foot because you don't set up any firm boundaries they SHOULD respect.

As a sub, your job is very simple: keep order in the classroom as best you can. The teacher may leave assignments or not, but all you are charged to do is keep them from breaking any rules so they can get to the next class. Until you get more experience and a better classroom management philosophy, that is what you should focus on, not personal growth.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:19 AM

530 posts, read 1,163,100 times
I'm glad to see some experienced teachers here weighing in with good points. I absolutely agree with oldhag. The OP sounds like she is trying too hard to be a friend, and the students are eating her alive. You need to be in control and strive for the students to respect you, not necessarily "like" you. I also think the point about being organized and keeping the kids busy is really important. My middle school student has complained about one sub who often tells the students to be quiet while she tries to figure out what she is supposed to do with them that day. Needless to say, that does not work well. The better subs are prepared.

I am a little baffled too with the seemingly tremendous problems with the younger students. The OP sounds well intentioned, so I hate to say it, but it sounds like she does not have good instincts about younger children. I have had kindergarten and first grade students do what I tell them to do just when I have come in to help as a parent. I have no doubt it is difficult being an effective kindergarten teacher on a daily basis, but it is not that hard to handle in smaller doses. I volunteered in the classroom regularly and often would go a little beyond what the teacher asked me to do if I sensed it would help them. I never once had a kid question that. Most younger kids really want to be good and to please adults, so if you gain respect, they will follow instructions. They also understand sometimes there are different rules from different adults.

On top of that, I think it helps to know what will please young students and what would be considered "dumb." I have a second grader who really gets excited about some of the things she learns in school, but if a sub came in talking to a puppet, I am pretty sure she would think that was too silly. I also dislike the idea of relying on candy to get your way. My kids have had teachers who have used a check system, which another poster mentioned, and it worked well. One teacher just handed out wooden sticks, and that worked well. The kids wanted to get sticks just because that was a sign of approval from the teacher. They also would eventually get a prize if they got enough sticks, but it took awhile. The sticks were enough most days for young students.

The better teachers also seem just to pay attention well. They sense problems before they get out of control. I suppose some of this could be learned, but in some cases it just seems to come naturally to some people, and they end up being the better teachers.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:31 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
To the OP, you may want to read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Substitute-Tea.../dp/0312774842

I do think that you need to project an attitude that you are the adult in charge and perhaps being young, you are having difficulty with that. Relating to the students is all well and good, but you need to have boundaries as well.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:05 AM

20,125 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellar View Post
The better teachers also seem just to pay attention well. They sense problems before they get out of control. I suppose some of this could be learned, but in some cases it just seems to come naturally to some people, and they end up being the better teachers.
This is spot on, at least as far as classroom management goes.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:26 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellar View Post
I'm glad to see some experienced teachers here weighing in with good points. I absolutely agree with oldhag. The OP sounds like she is trying too hard to be a friend, and the students are eating her alive. You need to be in control and strive for the students to respect you, not necessarily "like" you.
When I am in the classroom, my philosophy is gentle but firm. It was not always that case at first, but chalk it up to experience and watching experienced teacher taught me a lot about classroom management.

Quote:
I also think the point about being organized and keeping the kids busy is really important. My middle school student has complained about one sub who often tells the students to be quiet while she tries to figure out what she is supposed to do with them that day. Needless to say, that does not work well. The better subs are prepared.
The blame should not be squarely focused on the sub lack of preparedness. If the sub is trying to figure what needs to be done, then the regular teacher wrote a very bad lesson plan for the sub.

Quote:
I am a little baffled too with the seemingly tremendous problems with the younger students. The OP sounds well intentioned, so I hate to say it, but it sounds like she does not have good instincts about younger children. I have had kindergarten and first grade students do what I tell them to do just when I have come in to help as a parent. I have no doubt it is difficult being an effective kindergarten teacher on a daily basis, but it is not that hard to handle in smaller doses. I volunteered in the classroom regularly and often would go a little beyond what the teacher asked me to do if I sensed it would help them. I never once had a kid question that. Most younger kids really want to be good and to please adults, so if you gain respect, they will follow instructions. They also understand sometimes there are different rules from different adults.
Have you ever tried subbing in a classroom without teacher support?

Quote:
It comes naturally to some people, but in the end it comes down to having experience in the classroom.

The OP will figure it out, hopefully.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:32 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,391 times
I say if you like working and teaching to high school students, stick with that!

Just to warn you, you MAY relate to your high school students right now because there is little age difference, but as you get older you will probably relate to them less and less. In my opinion that you are friendly toward your HS students', but do not become friends. In the end, it's your job to teach and their job to learn.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:54 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
I say if you like working and teaching to high school students, stick with that!

Just to warn you, you MAY relate to your high school students right now because there is little age difference, but as you get older you will probably relate to them less and less. In my opinion that you are friendly toward your HS students', but do not become friends. In the end, it's your job to teach and their job to learn.
Like I said before, I have a very laid-back style, and I'm still a young person, so I'm not altogether removed from the things the teens are into. They are also better organized, though, and seem to understand that they can't test me with everything under the sun and get away with it. They seem to understand and respect my need for a seating chart; if I know their names, I can identify them, and they seem to be okay with that. They seem to trust me. The younger students, though, are usually so disorganized and used to getting away with so much that they ignore my seating chart completely; it drives me nuts. The teens also seem to understand that I don't assign work to punish them or make them have a boring day, so I can usually trust them with free time and shorter assignments. The younger kids, though, cannot handle down time, so I usually make them work the entire class period. They try to punish me by acting up, so I usually have to assign more seat work to keep them busy. I like the fact that the older teens cooperate with me. There's usually not this me vs. them mentality that I have with the younger kids. I'm not great with power struggles, which seem to be what the younger students want to set up time and time again, even on days when I don't feel like playing that game. I don't know what it is, but after a child gets out of ninth grade, I guess something just clicks. They are more manageable, rational, and responsible. I can't figure out what those younger kids are thinking, though. My age also plays against me with the younger students; with the teens, though, it's an asset. Except for my business suit, I can blend right in.

Older teens are like gentle little kittens...
Little kids are like wild animals...

I know it's probably me and not them, though, but what I've tried before has not worked. I think it's because the kids really think they don't have to respect me because I look young; maybe they don't expect me to know anything or have any experience. Maybe I don't rehearse enough; it's not easy to do as a sub, especially if I don't know what the lesson that day will be.

Last edited by krmb; 02-22-2014 at 05:30 PM..

Old 02-22-2014, 10:18 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Ask a five year old, how old do they think you are and some of them might say fifteen. To your students under the age of 10, to them, you are a grown-up. Five year olds think 15 is a grown-up age. They have no concept of real age.
With the little ones, it's your manner, not your age. Ever watch the movie Kindergarten Cop?

I agree, transitions are the worst. It's opportunity time for the disruptive clown. Try to get into school early and get everything set up for the mornig so that all papers, acitivities are laid out at your finger tips. If there is an assignment using a book, read the text/dittos, etc. before the kids show up. Put bookmarks in the pages that you will need in the book. Forfeit eating lunch with the teachers and use that time to set up what you need for the afternoon. Carry around a bag of tricks that are good for muliple grades. Get a few books for reading aloud by asking your local librarian for suggestions or from the school library. You can read picture books grades Prek-2, chapter books grades 3-6, and short stories for middle school kids. Get some riddle and joke books too. And the old standby word searches. Have the kids write their own riddles, do an art or writing project based on what you read to them, make your own Bingo or Jeopardy style games based on different subjects.

BTW, I have a collection of over 100 puppets. I use them for singing and games. They are a great ice-breaker but I never used to them to issue rules, nor do I "talk" for the puppet. I use them to get little kids to "talk" to the puppet, rather than to me. I have sets that go with popular children's books so that we can act out the book. Finger puppets can be made easily and you can have the children make them too,as well as stick puppets. Use them to act out a story or a song.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:08 PM

298 posts, read 565,159 times
Hmm, I'm a teacher and have subbed in several different states and rarely had problems. I am also laid back and not authoritarian. I do, however, have quite a loud voice, am middle-aged, and am in control. I approach the classroom like a team, "we're all in this together, and if I have to do it, so do you." I show my sense of humor and I also enjoy relating to the kids. I will share a story or two. It works for me. I have had kids tell me I'm "mean" though, so maybe I'm not as pleasant as "I" think I am, lol. I will say I don't like kindergarten. I rarely accepted general education elementary sub jobs. I find the little kids too exhausting. Elementary teachers need every minute planned, and I don't like that.

Last edited by katfzl; 03-15-2014 at 09:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching