Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 10:14 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,881,317 times

Advertisements

I've noticed . Now granted, it is just a small sample size..but I've seen teachers who live in good districts send their kids to private school as well. I value teachers and their opinions very much. For those of you that teach in public schools, could you share your thoughts on why you would find private schools to be more appealing if you do indeed? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 10:48 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
I've noticed . Now granted, it is just a small sample size..but I've seen teachers who live in good districts send their kids to private school as well. I value teachers and their opinions very much. For those of you that teach in public schools, could you share your thoughts on why you would find private schools to be more appealing if you do indeed? thanks!
Because public school teachers, more than anyone else out there, know what a mess the public school system is. I dare anyone reading this post to find me ONE public school teacher who is entirely in favor of every law and regulation that public school teachers are required to follow.

Having been a public school teacher, I can tell you what REALLY happens. Teachers tend to walk around with facial expressions that say "I just have to keep reminding myself... it's a paycheck... it's a paycheck... so many people don't have a paycheck but I do... it's a paycheck". Stories I've heard from students about what teachers do in their classrooms back this up. I'm substitute teaching right now to augment our income and I'm flabbergasted by stories I hear and even things I see with my own eyes. Teachers are trying to survive. They go into teaching with great ideas and 50% of them leave teaching in THREE YEARS OR LESS. The other 50% stick with it because they have become addicted to the pay, they hope to build experience they can use to get the heck out of the classroom and into an upper-level administrative position as quickly as possible, and/or they like the idea of getting a pension.

Public school ain't what it used to be. Get the POLITICIANS out of it, put the power back into the hands of the EDUCATORS, and you'll see this country get back to having a top-tier educational system.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:58 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
I don't. I did send them to a charter school because I wanted a better fit program. Dd#2 needed a G&T program and dd#1 needed help catching up that just can't he had in our local public school but both girls returned to the public schools after elementary/middle school.

I sent my kids to public school rather than private because I know that what is really needed in schools today is the ability to hold students accountable. As a parent I was willing to do that. The advantage I see in private school is that your kids go to school with kids who come from homes that also value education. I think that would make it easier to keep your kids on the right track. I didn't choose private school because I can't afford the ones I'd choose.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:52 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,881,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I don't. I did send them to a charter school because I wanted a better fit program. Dd#2 needed a G&T program and dd#1 needed help catching up that just can't he had in our local public school but both girls returned to the public schools after elementary/middle school.

I sent my kids to public school rather than private because I know that what is really needed in schools today is the ability to hold students accountable. As a parent I was willing to do that. The advantage I see in private school is that your kids go to school with kids who come from homes that also value education. I think that would make it easier to keep your kids on the right track. I didn't choose private school because I can't afford the ones I'd choose.

But if money wasn't an issue than you would do private school before public correct..assuming charter wasnt available to you?

Old 05-31-2014, 01:02 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
I would only send my child to a private school if her public school was unacceptable. There are issues with private schools too.

I think paying for a private school is a waste of money if the public schools are good.

It's basically paying 100,000$-140,000+ for a basic private school with out all the bells and whistles for PK-12th. A top private school can cost double or triple that.

You could save that amount and help your child open their own business once they become adults. ( or a house)

Now if your public schools are terrible, it makes sense to go private.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
The people I know who do so do it due to religious beliefs.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:43 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
I just went through, mentally, the teachers I know who have school age kids at my son's elementary and not a single one sends them to a private school. Several have gotten their kids in a different campus than what they are zoned for due to it being a lessor campus compared to the one they chose.

The parents I do know who have chosen private schools did so for religious choices at a church affiliated school. I know many of these, mostly Catholic but various others as well. There are numerous ones in our area, probably at least 10 within a decent distance of where I live.

One friend sent their daughter to a rigorous private academy because they believed it fit their image better. (dad moving up rapidly in a huge corporation of which his dad was ceo). She had been in public school until he started moving quickly.

Others that send to their kids to the private academy tend to mostly be children of public figures.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:46 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The people I know who do so do it due to religious beliefs.
In my suburban area the only teachers that send their children to private schools are the very few that send them to parochial schools. Now, in the very large, nearby metropolitan school district many more public teachers send their children to other private & parochial schools. It all depends on the quality of the school district where you live.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:57 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
My wife and I can't think of any teachers during our careers who have done so.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:23 PM

483 posts, read 670,568 times
Please back up your claim that public school teachers are sending their children to private schools in huge numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching