Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 02:55 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times

Advertisements

Job Announcement at my school for the OP:

Special Ed.
Duties will include teaching both Self-contained and Co-Taught classes (one will be with me).

Salary $42K/year.
SLOs for your classes are due 9/16. You will also be observed and evaluated using Danielson's Framework for Teaching. Apply and welcome aboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 04:23 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Job Announcement at my school for the OP:

Special Ed.
Duties will include teaching both Self-contained and Co-Taught classes (one will be with me).

Salary $42K/year.
SLOs for your classes are due 9/16. You will also be observed and evaluated using Danielson's Framework for Teaching. Apply and welcome aboard.
What is an SLO?

Did someone quit and they are just now trying to fill the position? If so, that would be similar to this Pittsburgh area school district. Woodland Hills faces teacher shortage as first day of school approaches - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 08-21-2014, 04:39 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
We have more than twenty openings just for classroom teachers in grades 1-6:

Job Opportunities | Fairfax County Public Schools

Special education? ESOL? Take a look.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:41 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
What is an SLO?

Did someone quit and they are just now trying to fill the position? If so, that would be similar to this Pittsburgh area school district. Woodland Hills faces teacher shortage as first day of school approaches - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Student Learning Objective, part of RT3.

Students will improve by at least one rating category.
80% of students will score Proficient or Advanced.

It was a new teacher. She came in annoying and hit full obnoxious in about 2 1/2 seconds. Challenged one of the Assistant Superintendents about how inadequate something was. I wasn't there when it happened, I saw it developing and did a retrograde maneuver to get out of the line of fire. We had been sort of co-planning together since she was to be co-teaching with me.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
One district I work in has 25 SPED openings and school starts next Monday.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:49 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
AFTER count day.
LOL yes, I forgot that part.

I even had a principal that wouldn't entertain office referrals or suspensions until after count day.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:45 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
LOL yes, I forgot that part.

I even had a principal that wouldn't entertain office referrals or suspensions until after count day.
In the charter schools where I taught, it was very rare to see a student removed before October. Between then and the start of second semester, my class sizes would drop from 36 in 5 out of 8 classes (physics classes were always smaller) to around 28 per class. That's a 22% reduction but they kept 75% of the money attached each of those kids.

I think they need to move the count day to the end of the semesters. That way the school they finish with gets the money instead of the one they start with and leave. I see too much incentive for charter schools to pack the classrooms hoping that those who leave voluntarily will do so after count day. They can work with trouble makers until after count day to keep them long enough.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:43 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
Quote:

I think they need to move the count day to the end of the semesters. That way the school they finish with gets the money instead of the one they start with and leave. I see too much incentive for charter schools to pack the classrooms hoping that those who leave voluntarily will do so after count day. They can work with trouble makers until after count day to keep them long enough.
This seems like a no-brainer, but you'd better believe the charter lobby would push back hard on any legislative attempt to do so. It's another facet of the story the 'run the schools under a free market system' crowd doesn't seem to realize.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:04 PM

47 posts, read 67,619 times
Quote:
Most incompetent workers are removed in the first couple of years in just about any job. I'd say there are many professions where .3% beyond the first 3 years would be pretty normal. One thing you are forgetting is the natural attrition rate for teachers is 50% in the first 5 years. The incompetent tend to weed themselves out.

How many doctors are dismissed after 3 years on the job? Nurses? Engineers? During my 17 years as an engineer I saw one engineer fired after he had 3 years on the job and another who should have been fired but for whatever reason they decided to work with him out of the hundreds of engineers I knew. Trust me, word got around when someone was fired. Very few engineers were fired. Downsizing is another story but that's not due to incompetence. Teaching is a demanding high stress job and it's not for the weak. There have been many a day when I questioned my sanity for taking this job in the last six years. I'm starting to feel comfortable in the job now.

If you look at teacher effectiveness you'll find that there is a sharp rise in effectiveness in the first 5 years (that's how long it takes to tenure where I am) followed by a less steep rise in effectiveness to year 10 and then effectiveness levels off. You are basically complaining that they don't fire teachers after they are becoming effective at doing the job. Why would they? The fact that only .3% are fired after year 3 doesn't prove that the ones that are kept are incompetent. Perhaps the reason they aren't fired is they are competent.

Teachers are not safe after clocking 3 years anymore than engineers are safe after clocking 3 years on the job. Generally speaking if an employer keeps you that long you have something going for you and most are willing to work with you if you do step out of line as long as it's not too far out of line. Other than downsizings I did not see salaried people fired from industry. Hourly is another story but the union usually forced the company to work with the employee.

I will tenure as a teacher at the end of this coming school year. I'm sure you don't know what that means so I'll explain it to you. It means that the district must give me due process to fire me and that they cannot fire me for something someone else did but was not fired for. They most certainly can fire me for incompetence. The just have to do the paperwork to document that I was made aware of the issue and that they attempted to help me correct the issue. At most, they'd have to keep me a year after they decided I was incompetent while I attempted to correct the situation. If I did not to their satisfaction they could then fire me.
The incompetent teachers who have tenure make life miserable for the new teachers by giving them the worst students and the worst assignments and worst schedules. That is why some of the best teachers leave the profession within five years.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:12 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro_me View Post
The incompetent teachers who have tenure make life miserable for the new teachers by giving them the worst students and the worst assignments and worst schedules. That is why some of the best teachers leave the profession within five years.
Teachers don't control which students other teachers get. Administrators do. Sadly, they often give the worst classes to the new teachers to see what they're made of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching