Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 05:38 PM

90 posts, read 109,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaniardinTexas View Post
I work in a district where we have been implementing a lot of the "business world" practices. Result: thousands of hours a year lost in mindless courses preaching the new mantras that teachers are at fault, because they need enthusiasm and smile at everything... and a lot of "education gurus" with their pockets full, doing those trainings.

My question is if someone wants to change the education world, why they don't become teacher themselves. Nobody tells their surgeon or dentist how to do their work, but everybody feels entitled to tell who is a good or bad teacher without spending any single minute in their classrooms.
Sorry for the grammar, I did not proofread it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 09:40 AM

607 posts, read 761,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaniardinTexas View Post

My question is if someone wants to change the education world, why they don't become teacher themselves. Nobody tell their surgeon or dentist how to do their work, but everybody feels entitled to tell who is a good or bad teacher without spending any single minute in their classroom.
I think a large part of "entitlement" is justified, in the sense that taxpayers are footing the bill, and have much reason to have a say in how those funds are administered.

Also, I don't think it a bad thing that the general public is interested in public education.....what is the alternative? Apathy?....

Finally, it is not a matter of telling someone how to work/do their job/micromanage......it IS a matter of overhauling K-12....and all the particulars involved in the same, including increasing salaries/better candidates, retaining the same, pooling larger funds for districts and spending what we have wisely, bringing the latest in technology into the schools on every level, including administration, and equipping students to be as armed as possible to lead the world as US workers and citizens..

Old 09-16-2014, 03:32 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkuzminski View Post
I think a large part of "entitlement" is justified, in the sense that taxpayers are footing the bill, and have much reason to have a say in how those funds are administered.
Our taxes pay for a lot of things...yet most people don't feel the need to regulate how firefighters do their jobs, how roads are built, or how the military conducts strategic operations.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:51 PM

90 posts, read 109,189 times
Quote:

Also, I don't think it a bad thing that the general public is interested in public education.....what is the alternative? Apathy?....

Finally, it is not a matter of telling someone how to work/do their job/micromanage......it IS a matter of overhauling K-12....and all the particulars involved in the same, including increasing salaries/better candidates, retaining the same, pooling larger funds for districts and spending what we have wisely, bringing the latest in technology into the schools on every level, including administration, and equipping students to be as armed as possible to lead the world as US workers and citizens..
Do not get me wrong. I want change too, but I wish the general public would know more about real education. Not the one size fits all that most people want to implement in the districts.

In my humble opinion and experience, general public is interested in public education when they can blame the teachers, principals, schools, districts,.... but not when they are asked to have more parent involvement, or demand that the students have more responsabilities in order to be ready to college.

It is sad how many parents are enabling their kids, for example, arguing with the teachers about deadlines.... would they do the same to their bosses?

It is very annoying to see my wife having problems because some students and his parents complaint about a flunking grade, when their son refused to do any work. It is sad when an administrator tries to get ride of good teachers just because they have to have the parents happy. If parents complaint, the teacher is in trouble. Tenure does not exist here.

In all the countries with commended school systems, their teachers do not have to put up with those situations that American educators have everyday.

I wish most people would have real classroom experience and they can say what they would do to make changes..

I pay a lot of taxes too, and I do not feel that I have to tell everybody how everything has to be done, when most of the time, I do not know their professional fields.

Last edited by SpaniardinTexas; 09-16-2014 at 07:16 PM..

Old 10-04-2014, 03:22 PM

I can only say a sea change is coming in education, essentially it has already hit......

Blaming is the wrong operative word.....we are talking change, change of an antiquated system that has stopped preparing our children to thrive in what has become a technological world ripping apart paradigm after paradigm..

Education K-12 just being another paradigm like the rest..

Old 10-04-2014, 06:17 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,933 times
Quote:
I can only say a sea change is coming in education, essentially it has already hit......

Blaming is the wrong operative word.....we are talking change, change of an antiquated system that has stopped preparing our children to thrive in what has become a technological world ripping apart paradigm after paradigm..

Education K-12 just being another paradigm like the rest..
There's no sea change coming. Just corporate edureformers trying to raid education funding coffers and those of us trying to stop them. I'm not sure who will win, but we will all lose if we keep ignoring the real issues, which start in the home.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:13 PM

Or you can buy a hokey franchise with a 30% default rate(per franchisees)...

Truly, is there a bigger joke/ripoff than these places?

LOL

Tutoring Centers and Exam Prep | Huntington Learning Center

Old 10-06-2014, 08:23 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Quote:
Or you can buy a hokey franchise with a 30% default rate(per franchisees)...

Truly, is there a bigger joke/ripoff than these places?

LOL

Tutoring Centers and Exam Prep | Huntington Learning Center

I worked in a Huntington Learning Center back in the 1990s. We helped a lot of kids whose parents were able to fork out a huge amount of money for intensive basic skills lessons. It was expensive, but it definitely wasn't a rip-off. I still use some of the techniques I learned there to help students who are way behind their grade level.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:40 AM

I'd be curious about where the teachers at the private tutor orientated learning centers like Sylvan and Huntington are coming from....

Word is those centers have some of the highest franchise default rates of all franchises. The franchisee just pays the franchiser for the rights. He/She is solely responsible for outcomes and hiring.

The fact that the default rate is so high is saying something. I would imagine the students don't stick around long-term, or at least long enough to make money from them, as opposed to a private magnet school. After a point, the center can't pay the bills, and moves on.

Something definitely to be said for the guaranteed funding of public schools, and the magnet schools that would not survive without the stipends/vouchers paid for and guaranteed by taxpayers.

Take away that captive money, same as the gov't backed loans taken away from Corinthian College, and you have no school anymore.

Fact is, only private schools backed by relative wealth, or an archdiocese(Catholic, and even they close schools) can survive. On a pure profit basis, regards the sky high failure rare of Huntington, they can't hack it.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:58 AM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
You don't understand the business model or purpose of either Sylvan or Huntington.

Their students aren't supposed to "stick around", their model is as a tutoring service. Fix the problem then move on to the next student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching