Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 06:06 AM

242 posts, read 759,312 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am currently finishing up a BM degree in music education at LIU Post, located on Long Island (for those of you who don't know ). Unlike many of my colleagues, I have no intentions of staying on Long Island to search for a job teaching music. I am very aware that Long Island has high teacher salaries, good schools, and many other "perks." However, the reason for my move is because I am NOT at all happy living on Long Island for many, many reasons - the stress, the crowds, the population density, the traffic, etc. Responses telling me to stay on Long Island will not help me

I have done a decent amount of research about teaching in Florida - everything from reading these threads to certification to job postings. I am WELL aware of the disadvantages - lower salaries, lack of job security, crowded schools, etc. I have a large portion of my family living in Lake Worth, Florida (Palm Beach County) and have been visiting there every year since I was born. My familiarity with the area goes far beyond that of a vacationer and I strongly feel I would be happier living there. Could I be wrong? Absolutely. But at this point, I owe it to myself to try it out - and I have nothing at all to lose.

With ALL that being said, I need answers to some questions:

1) Are there music teaching jobs in SE Florida? I am open to private and/or charter schools. I'm also open to subbing at first. *Only interested in Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade Counties*

2) Should I bother getting a NY certification if I plan on looking for work in Florida? In other words, will this help me at all? NY certification has recently become much more expensive and difficult and I would rather not go through the process.

3) I also teach woodwind/beginner piano lessons privately. Is there a market for private music lessons in SE Florida? Either working for a music store OR going to people's homes?

4) Is music education growing or declining in SE Florida?

Answers to one, a few, or all of these questions would be much appreciated! Would especially love some feedback from musicians and music teachers working and/or living in the SE Florida area.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching