Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 08:50 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times

Advertisements

Since there is a high ratio of SPED teachers who come here, I figured that this would be a good place to ask.

I have a brother and SIL who are both DD. SIL is in an assisted living facility and when I go there to visit, there's not really anything to do. She is rather low functioning, so I suggested Go Fish. She said that was a kids game. She wants to play Monopoly, which I do not care for.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to some games that might be appropriate? She already plays bingo a few times a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 08:34 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
How about Sorry! or Uno?

Old 10-24-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
How about Sorry! or Uno?
I already asked her about Sorry!, and she said no. I thought it would take too long for her to understand Uno. But maybe I'm wrong on that. I'll give that another look.

Thanks for responding.

I can't rep you again until I spread the "love" around.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:45 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
How about Trouble, that's pretty simple. Modify the rules if you need to but it sounds lie they should be able to do this. You can also do something like go out in the courtyard and have a catch (even if they are in wheelchairs), bring a magnetic dartboard or bean bag game. You can also time your visits around the Activities calendar, and go with them for the monthly birthday party, Bingo, or a craft, word game, whatever they are doing.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:32 PM

Those are some good ideas. I'll definitely look into the games that require the use of her gross motor skills. She does enjoy knitting and does that, but I'll see if we can do another craft. That's a good idea.

I'm there almost every day, and I or my brother goes for Bingo. They are having a Halloween party and I'll get her dressed up for that.

She seems to like it there and gets along find with solitude. I guess I think about how I feel in a place like that and am transferring it onto her, and she appears to not dislike it the way I would.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:44 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Those are some good ideas. I'll definitely look into the games that require the use of her gross motor skills. She does enjoy knitting and does that, but I'll see if we can do another craft. That's a good idea.

I'm there almost every day, and I or my brother goes for Bingo. They are having a Halloween party and I'll get her dressed up for that.

She seems to like it there and gets along find with solitude. I guess I think about how I feel in a place like that and am transferring it onto her, and she appears to not dislike it the way I would.
I forgot to mention, you probably don't need to buy any of that. Between the Activities department and the OT/PT department, they will have a lot of the games, even balloons and things like that, and they will be fine letting you use them with your siblings.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:41 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,220,389 times
I don't think Uno would be too hard for them. All of our high school students who are in our Life Skills program (low cognitive level) know how to play and love it. I am also teaching them how to play Racko, which is a number game, putting numbers in consecutive order. How about dice games like Yahtzee or Farkle?

Old 03-04-2015, 12:52 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I see that this is an older post, but still worth responding to, as I know a lot of people with loved ones and/or students with developmental disabilities read these threads.

I've used Uno (and its derivatives, there are a bunch of versions of Uno, now) quite a bit with high school special education classes. Most of my students were able to match with little to no prompting. Jenga was popular, but not the best option for people with fine motor skill deficits...too frustrating. Trouble, with the pop-o-matic bubble, was a favorite, also. Different simple card games were good, too. Even checkers was a hit. I had a student with autism who loved Battleship, but he didn't like to actually play it to win...he just liked to fill up his board systematically with "hits" in order, so he'd call, "A-1," A-2," "A-3," etc. in order every time. The orderliness of filling up the board with pegs was more appealing to him than the actual game play.

I always found Monopoly, even in its versions made to appeal to different audiences (like the SpongeBob version) to be tedious for most of the students I worked with...too much attending for too little action, not fast-paced enough, so it lost people.

Some kids that weren't into games really liked different arts and crafts. I had a 16-year old who loved to zone out and weave potholders on a little square loom, and another who loved to crochet.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:11 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,039 times
Some favorites in my room are connect four and guess who. Guess Who takes a bit of time to teach but is great for visual discrimination. Taboo is a good game too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching