Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 09:04 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,774 times

Advertisements

We were closed, open for Veteran's day though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 12:40 AM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Schools in my area have been closed for MLK Day ever since it became a federal holiday. However, we used to have separate holidays for Lincoln's birthday and Washington's birthday. Now that is combined into President's Day. Interesting how in the South, Robert E. Lee's birthday is a holiday.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:35 PM

4,868 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Schools in my area have been closed for MLK Day ever since it became a federal holiday. However, we used to have separate holidays for Lincoln's birthday and Washington's birthday. Now that is combined into President's Day. Interesting how in the South, Robert E. Lee's birthday is a holiday.
Good point and I agree. Heck, 8 out of 10 students today probably don't know why we even have a president's day and who's birthdays this is supposed to represent.

As much as I do agree with having a MLK day, how is his importance to our country somehow more important than that of Washington and Lincoln?

Robert E Lee's birthday? Really? What was his positive accomplishment towards the United States? Should we add a U.S. Grant holiday for us northern states?

Old 01-23-2015, 02:22 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post

Robert E Lee's birthday? Really? What was his positive accomplishment towards the United States? Should we add a U.S. Grant holiday for us northern states?
It's a state holiday where it's observed, not a federal holiday. So why consider "accomplishments towards the US" as a whole?

If SD wants to observe Grant Day, I say that's up to that state.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
It's a state holiday where it's observed, not a federal holiday. So why consider "accomplishments towards the US" as a whole?

If SD wants to observe Grant Day, I say that's up to that state.
Yes, as a state holiday I guess what the heck. As to holidays recognized for being a federal holiday, it has to be "accomplishments towards the US" as a whole. We'd never add a Grant's birthday holiday in SD. No one living in the territory at the time fought in the civil war unless they signed up in Minnesota. We didn't become a state until 4 years after the end of the Civil War.

In South Dakota and I believe California, we do not celebrate Columbus Day, but have instead changed it to Native American Day. I'm OK with the difference in that I really don't feel celebrating a Columbus Day as being that important of a recognition in history.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
As to holidays recognized for being a federal holiday, it has to be "accomplishments towards the US" as a whole.
Of course. That's my point exactly.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
We'd never add a Grant's birthday holiday in SD. No one living in the territory at the time fought in the civil war unless they signed up in Minnesota. We didn't become a state until 4 years after the end of the Civil War.

You asked.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
You asked.
You right.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:20 PM

195 posts, read 278,612 times
My district was open. We stay open for most holidays though. Also, we run a pretty short school year and have an extended spring break instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching