Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 08:49 AM

807 posts, read 1,033,309 times

Advertisements

I have a real philosophical problem at the high school I work. I work with a person, whom I like as a person, that is likely the worst teacher I've ever seen.

She probably would have been a good teacher in the 1950's. Her methods are 100% teacher centered where she just writes notes and notes and notes on the board for 45 minutes each period day after day. But the real issue for me is she admittingly does not like kids, and it shows! In return, the kids do not like her and she often has problems with kids complaining about her and has constant discipline issues because they have no respect for her. And this comes from her low level classes up to the AP class she teaches.

Here is the straw the broke the camels back for me. I heard yesterday her students from previous years are selling her AP tests and lab books because they all know she uses the same tests year after year! She is about 6 years from retirement and at this point could care less about students.

I find this very disturbing. I started in the district 3 years ago, and like I said, I like this woman as a person, but I think about the 1000's of kids she has turned off to science over her career. It amazes me that she has spent her life doing something she does not enjoy in an environment full of people she does not like (kids)! Further, it blows my mind that administrators keep her as an employee.

Each day I'm about to walk into the principals office and ask him why she still a teacher, and an AP teacher at that. But I just can't do it because I do like her as a person, and I don't want to be a snitch. But I came into teacher from industry to inspire kids to like science and bring out their inner scientist in hopes they make a career out of it. And what this woman does is the exact opposite.

Do I say something for the betterment of education and for the kids, or do I keep my mouth shut. I have developed a good reputation for myself at the school, kids love me and my class, and the administrators see this and are happy with my work. I really don't want to mess that up either.

What would you do? Do I offer my opinion about her and tell them about the test selling because of her laziness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 09:43 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
Most likely they already know. Why ruin your personal relationship with her, not to mention your own reputation for minding your own business?

Old 03-14-2015, 09:48 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
I might tell her that you heard about kids selling her past work and that you thought she should know.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:28 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Most likely they already know. Why ruin your personal relationship with her, not to mention your own reputation for minding your own business?
Good point.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:31 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Unless you are her superior it is none of your business what teaching style she uses and there are a lot of teachers who do not like kids but they like to teach.

As far as the tests being sold goes that rumor may or may not be true so you need to ask yourself if you are really willing to spread unsubstantiated gossip.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:43 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I'm sure admin is well aware of her flaws.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:53 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
I have a real philosophical problem at the high school I work. I work with a person, whom I like as a person, that is likely the worst teacher I've ever seen.

She probably would have been a good teacher in the 1950's. Her methods are 100% teacher centered where she just writes notes and notes and notes on the board for 45 minutes each period day after day. But the real issue for me is she admittingly does not like kids, and it shows! In return, the kids do not like her and she often has problems with kids complaining about her and has constant discipline issues because they have no respect for her. And this comes from her low level classes up to the AP class she teaches.

Here is the straw the broke the camels back for me. I heard yesterday her students from previous years are selling her AP tests and lab books because they all know she uses the same tests year after year! She is about 6 years from retirement and at this point could care less about students.

I find this very disturbing. I started in the district 3 years ago, and like I said, I like this woman as a person, but I think about the 1000's of kids she has turned off to science over her career. It amazes me that she has spent her life doing something she does not enjoy in an environment full of people she does not like (kids)! Further, it blows my mind that administrators keep her as an employee.

Each day I'm about to walk into the principals office and ask him why she still a teacher, and an AP teacher at that. But I just can't do it because I do like her as a person, and I don't want to be a snitch. But I came into teacher from industry to inspire kids to like science and bring out their inner scientist in hopes they make a career out of it. And what this woman does is the exact opposite.

Do I say something for the betterment of education and for the kids, or do I keep my mouth shut. I have developed a good reputation for myself at the school, kids love me and my class, and the administrators see this and are happy with my work. I really don't want to mess that up either.

What would you do? Do I offer my opinion about her and tell them about the test selling because of her laziness?
I sub at several school districts in my area and see a few teachers who fit this description, and a few who are probably worse. I was actually approached by the principal in one situation regarding a teacher who should not be teaching. This teacher missed an excessive amount of school, did not leave lesson plans, and appeared to never do lesson plans. From the discussion with the principal, it was obvious he was at least aware of most of her issues. She is still teaching, so apparently the school is willing to tolerate her. The only difference is she is now coming to school every day.

This teacher also does not like kids and the students say she doesn't talk to them except when she has to. She doesn't appear to have any friends among the other teachers.

While I think complaining about the teacher to admininistration would be a waste of time, I think you should do something about the AP tests and lab books. She may be too lazy to change her tests, but there should be plenty of book publisher supplied and AP authorized tests available that this should not be an issue. I would tell her that you have heard students mention this several times. The question is now do you follow up on it?

Old 03-14-2015, 12:14 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
You have only known her for three years.

You know nothing about her earlier years as a teacher. And there may be personal, private things about her life you know nothing about.

Please, just stay quiet.

I have worked in the same school district since 1979-80. Over the last almost 40 years I have seen many teachers come and go.

I have known unbelievably talented teachers who, over decades, became worn out and disillusioned.

I have known teachers who gave up (almost) their entire lives for their students. I personally know a teacher who decided not to marry her boyfriend of decades because she thought that marriage may interfere with able to work as many hours as she did for her special needs students (often 12 to 14 hours a day).

I have personally known teachers who voluntarily decided not to have children of their own to dedicate their whole lives to their students.

And, the hardships that some of my co-workers endured, deaths of children, caring for disabled spouses, caring for elderly parents, financial problems, etc. etc.

When I was a new teacher I worked with a kindergarten teacher who was near retirement age. I also thought that she was a terrible teacher and wondered what to do
. However, after asking around I discovered that had been an outstanding teacher. She had even won some type of extremely prestigious state wide teaching award. She had mentored dozens of other teachers who continued to use the skills that she had taught them.

After, watching her teach more closely, I realized that, although her teaching methods were outdated she still knew more about teaching and children than all of the new teachers put together. I realized that she was not actually a horrible teacher like I had first thought that she was.

When she retired she had the largest retirement party even seen in the district, hundreds of former students, former parents of students and co-workers attended.

Why am I mentioning all this? There may be a lot more to the situation than you know about.

Yes, let her know that students are selling former tests, but other than that just be a good friend.

PS. Unless she actually hurts a student.

Last edited by germaine2626; 03-14-2015 at 12:26 PM..

Old 03-14-2015, 12:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Also, scuttlebutt of students selling tests would be something that would be brought up in faculty meetings at any school I've worked for, regardless of rumor substantiation.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:39 PM

395 posts, read 374,626 times
I agree that telling her you heard about students selling tests to her current students. This might make her change some of the questions. Also, keep in mind she is teaching AP, which is pretty much a college class. The students who are in AP have a high degree of interest in that subject and may only need to content delivered directly as opposed to a class where you have students who don't understand the subject very well. In college I've had some teachers who didn't do much but what she is doing, but I studied a lot on my own and in AP they are self-disciplined.

I'm only a college student, but if any other teacher besides my cooperating teacher talked to the principal or my college about my flaws behind my back, I'd be highly insulted. This teacher doesn't seem as if she wants tips or feedback, or she would even care if you don't think she is effectively teaching, which is unfortunate, but the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching