Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 05:53 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times

Advertisements

Congratulations on the son, Catlover.

Is he certified in another science besides Earth Science? That's a hindrance because the whole earth science 8th/9th grade thing plus the regents is really a NY thing-kind of a unique curriculum to New York. Other states either offer it as an elective, the science for "slow" students or it's not offered at all. Since he had to do all the earth science astronomy stuff, wonder if he could get licensed in another physical science. Only in New York, the fact that the LIE shows where the terminal moraine stopped is on a test

Would you consider moving upstate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 06:08 PM

145 posts, read 227,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Some states will credit years form other states while others won't.

When I looked to move back to PA a number of years ago (and this might have changed but I doubt it) I would have started out at Step 1 (I was around 14 in MD). This was explained to me as State law.

Do you happen to know which states credit you for experience?

Old 04-02-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Congratulations on the son, Catlover.

Is he certified in another science besides Earth Science? That's a hindrance because the whole earth science 8th/9th grade thing plus the regents is really a NY thing-kind of a unique curriculum to New York. Other states either offer it as an elective, the science for "slow" students or it's not offered at all. Since he had to do all the earth science astronomy stuff, wonder if he could get licensed in another physical science. Only in New York, the fact that the LIE shows where the terminal moraine stopped is on a test

Would you consider moving upstate?

Not really sure. I went to college in Cortland and didn't particularly like it. I enjoyed the slower lifestyle, but it's just too far from any major cities.

To answer your question-- I think he has business certification, but I don't think he would teach that since he's said he feels more secure teaching Science vs an elective.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:12 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
Virginia schools teach earth science.

Chesterfield County, VA has a job posting for an Earth Science teacher.

It's a beautiful county, growing........much much lower cost of living than Long Island.......and the Chesterfield County school district has some very highly rated schools.

Cost of living is so much less than Long Island...........you'll wonder why you ever stayed on LI!

Old 04-02-2015, 06:26 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Unless they like to brag about what percentage of the staff has advanced degrees.

OP, what does he teach?
Very true! I was hired at step 8 with a master's when one isn't expected in Colorado.

Some places will only give you a certain amount of steps or years of experience.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:03 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlover84 View Post
Do you happen to know which states credit you for experience?
I do not.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:18 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Good point on the Master's degree. When switching teaching jobs it's all to often a hindrance.
There are any states that are "ignoring" master degrees as automatic increases. They are paying based on experience (barely), not degrees..I believe NC has done this, MI is working on it as are other states.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:23 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
But is he certified in any of the other sciences besides earth science?

Old 04-03-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Virginia schools teach earth science.

Chesterfield County, VA has a job posting for an Earth Science teacher.

It's a beautiful county, growing........much much lower cost of living than Long Island.......and the Chesterfield County school district has some very highly rated schools.

Cost of living is so much less than Long Island...........you'll wonder why you ever stayed on LI!

mmmm I'm not sure I would fit in down there, lol. Northern VA is one thing, but I don't know. I'm a friendly person, but I'm told by fellow Long Islanders that a lot of places automatically hate NYers; moreso the south.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:58 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I think many places do. My district's maximum entry step is 15.
FY15Nov194dayTeacher

When my wife started, they gave her the 10 years she had in a private school and started her off on step 11.

http://www.fcps.edu/hr/salary/pdf/fy...dayTeacher.pdf
Do they take Michigan certs? Your starting salary is above my salary after 7 years of teaching in Michigan. I need to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching