Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 08:11 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,539,723 times

Advertisements

Check out this report. Seems we citizens need to find a way to help support new teachers who cannot afford entry level housing. I was shocked.

Homeless Teachers in CMS | WBTV | Top Stories (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 09:55 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,378,276 times
Couldn't the teacher's union help them? I know other unions have or had benefit programs to help their members get into homes.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Couldn't the teacher's union help them? I know other unions have or had benefit programs to help their members get into homes.
You would think they could be of help. Did you click on link? There was also a link there w/ a video and the area Pres. of the union was being interviewed. She said that teachers were trying to get help but no one is evidently really addressing the problem. Teachers are living in cheap hotels in "dicey" part of town that I assure you, I would NOT let my kids live in!!! It is very upsetting. She said teachers in those situations were having to get home b/f dark b/c they worry about crime. I was shocked! Seems someone should be doing something to help them.

I wonder if this is going on in other parts of the country? We should all be ashamed! This is not encouraging for young teachers, starting out, who don't have anyone to help them get the downpayment for a decent apartment.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:00 AM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,722,664 times
Actually, I think this just shows that these young teachers need to have some education in financial planning while in college.

In the last two years of college, students should be thinking about how they are going to pay for their lives after graduation, including a possible move to a new area. I, and most of my friends, were working and saving money during college. Many had plans to move to NYC, so they had to save up quite a bit so that they wouldn't starve in the first few months there.

If these new teachers are moving to a new area and don't have a lot of money, then they should find roommates to share the expenses! The union could produce of list of teachers seeking roommates. The new teachers should also look on message boards like craigslist for people seeking roommates. That would be much less expensive and safer then living in those sleazy hotels.

Sorry if I don't sound sympathetic, but I remember having friends graduate from law school, and packing four people into a studio apartment while studying for the bar exam to save money. This isn't a teacher issue, it is a financial issue. Previous generations didn't expect to start their first jobs and have a luxury apartment to themselves immediately.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Actually, I think this just shows that these young teachers need to have some education in financial planning while in college.

In the last two years of college, students should be thinking about how they are going to pay for their lives after graduation, including a possible move to a new area. I, and most of my friends, were working and saving money during college. Many had plans to move to NYC, so they had to save up quite a bit so that they wouldn't starve in the first few months there.

If these new teachers are moving to a new area and don't have a lot of money, then they should find roommates to share the expenses! The union could produce of list of teachers seeking roommates. The new teachers should also look on message boards like craigslist for people seeking roommates. That would be much less expensive and safer then living in those sleazy hotels.

Sorry if I don't sound sympathetic, but I remember having friends graduate from law school, and packing four people into a studio apartment while studying for the bar exam to save money. This isn't a teacher issue, it is a financial issue. Previous generations didn't expect to start their first jobs and have a luxury apartment to themselves immediately.
Actually, I agree with you. I sure didn't have anyone helping me, LOL. As you have stated - seems the union would help w/ message boards and w/ the Net . . . so many ways to connect w/ potential room mates.

I do think it would be helpful if there were a way for teachers to borrow some money - even $500 - that then could be taken out of their checks over the next year - to help them get on their feet. Again, that seems something that a good union could work out . . .

I was just so surprised at this story and wondered how things have gotten into such a mess. I also wondered - what could be done to help - b/c there is a shortage of good teachers. However, your suggestions are spot on - especially suggestions about financial planning.

It does seem odd that in my generation (Boomers) - we knew we would have to figure it out when we hit 18, and certainly - when we graduated from college - and w/ this generation - seems they are not so resourceful.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:48 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,378,276 times
Maybe folks should just stop going into teaching until the market adjusts itself so they are making a living wage.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Maybe folks should just stop going into teaching until the market adjusts itself so they are making a living wage.
I wonder if that is what has already happened. ????

Old 01-18-2008, 07:18 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,843,288 times
My first public teaching job was on the Navajo Reservation in New Mexico, and housing was provided by the school. Unfortunately, the housing was a rattle-trap wobbly box trailer, approximately 20 years old, which had warped floors and walls, a front door that didn't close completely, and no furnace (only electric space heaters).

Frankly, I was afraid to live in the place, so ended up finding a place on my own. Unfortunately, because there's no rental housing on the Rez for non-tribe members, I had to rent a house in a nearby town, 45 miles away from my school. The daily drive was an hour long and took me over the Continental Divide. After almost being wiped out by a tractor-trailer on the crest of the Divide on a snowy day, I decided I'd had enough -- and transferred to another school.

Sooooooo -- things could be worse.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:45 PM

825 posts, read 2,821,462 times
Quote:
Please understand that the term 'union' is not used in the same context as other regions of the country. CMS' union doesn't have much in the way of authority. This is not a school system that is "unionized" in any official sense of the word. I doubt they can do much at all. Many say they move here for the cost of living but Char-Meck taxes aren't that great of a deal to buy a home. On the rental side, I'm sure the apartment market is pretty tight with the housing market continuing to slow down.

NC teachers are paid from the general fund of the state of North Carolina. Teachers in CMS make the same as teachers in any other county...according to the state salary schedule. Each county can/does supplement incomes.

If NC teachers were to have higher pay it would have to come from
a) shifting money from other state programs
b) raising taxes

Pick your poison.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:41 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,351,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
Please understand that the term 'union' is not used in the same context as other regions of the country. CMS' union doesn't have much in the way of authority. This is not a school system that is "unionized" in any official sense of the word. I doubt they can do much at all. Many say they move here for the cost of living but Char-Meck taxes aren't that great of a deal to buy a home. On the rental side, I'm sure the apartment market is pretty tight with the housing market continuing to slow down.

NC teachers are paid from the general fund of the state of North Carolina. Teachers in CMS make the same as teachers in any other county...according to the state salary schedule. Each county can/does supplement incomes.

If NC teachers were to have higher pay it would have to come from
a) shifting money from other state programs
b) raising taxes

Pick your poison.
I'd say raise the taxes. I don't understand why people have an aversion to raising taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching