Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 11:28 AM

80 posts, read 162,270 times

Advertisements

I know, I know...we all use math one way or another whether we realize it or not.

But do we really use high-level math? I can certainly understand the reading and writing parts of the Basic Skills Tests...we all [English speakers] talk and write in English all the time; we communicate through the English language, not through statistical data or algebraic equations. I know that some of you will give me snarky examples of how we do use those in real life, but I really need some sympathy now.

The truth is that I feel that I have a lot of good qualities to become a teacher. I am compassionate, patient, knowledgeable, empathetic, hard-working, socially and culturally aware, and very much into social justice and educational improvement, and I love children and adolescents, but I probably won't be able to teach ever because I am unable to pass these stupid tests.

How does knowing how to get the unknown X in a two variable algebraic equation make me a better Spanish teacher?
And those are the kinds of things that you don't master in a 4 month crash course. You have to scaffold those skills from day one of your life-long education.
Most states will not let you teach Spanish, art, or theatre if you don't pass a fricking math component of a Basic Skills test that includes not just simple arithmetic, but probability, stats, and algebra. I don't know whether this was my fault or my teachers' fault, but at some point I became extremely bad at math. Anyone who says that there's no such thing as being bad at math, please come here and teach me how to pass those tests. I will pay them whatever they want.

This is a rant-y post because I am incredibly frustrated. I am not kidding...I'm this close to crying.

IAnyone know if any state in the USA doesn't require a math component in their Basic Skills Tests for non-math/non-science teachers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 02:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Not Texas. Our Generalist tests include Math, ELA, Science and Social Studies.

Math is the most repeated part of the test. Here if you fail one part you can retake just that one part.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:10 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
I believe ALL states have reading, writing and math in the basic skills..

Old 04-14-2015, 06:27 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
The theory is that all teachers should be to perform at the minimum high school level in English and Math. I, for one, agree.

I was teaching elementary in California when the CBST got rolled out there. I was absolutely scandalized by the number of my colleagues who failed - some in all areas - because, having also taken it, I knew the low level of knowledge/skills needed to pass it. But, at the same time, none of the ones who failed were a shock.

Teachers, who grade and determine grading scales/standards, need to be knowledgeable about statistics and probability, regardless of the content they teach as part of their job, by the way. You should be capable of weighing grades and knowing when it should be done.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-15-2015 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: fixed typo

Old 04-14-2015, 08:44 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,676,809 times
I'm sorry you feel like you should be a teacher, but the fact of the matter is that you are not qualified.

What if I didn't understand the rules for capitalization and punctuation? Should the basic minimum be set aside for me?

In this day and age, you will be required to understand a variety of mathematical concepts in order to function on your job as a public school teacher.

If you would like to teach Spanish, my suggestion would be to get a degree in Spanish and teach at a private school. You could also open and run a day care service that augments school readiness.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The theroy is that all teachers should be [able] to perform at the minimum high school level in English and Math. I, for one, agree.

I was teaching elementary in California when the CBST got rolled out there. I was absolutely scandalized by the number of my colleagues who failed - some in all areas - because, having also taken it, I knew the low level of knowledge/skills needed to pass it. But, at the same time, none of the ones who failed were a shock.

Teachers, who grade and determine grading scales/standards, need to be knowledgeable about statistics and probability, regardless of the content they teach as part of their job, by the way. You should be capable of weighing grades and knowing when it should be done.
Respectfully disagree [regarding math], but thanks for the comment. I work at a district in which PowerTeacher figures out all the grade-weighing. I just think it's ridiculous that potentially great non-math teachers are being kept from teaching their non-math subjects because they don't master math skills that some people consider low-level but that represent a great level of difficulty for non-math-proficient individuals.

I would never "badmouth" math in front of students, but frankly, I don't think I am a lesser Spanish or Linguistics teacher just because I can't find the x or y on some algebraic equation that I will never use in real life. Just like I would never consider a great math teacher lesser if he doesn't know about deep structure English grammar or about the Spanish subjunctive.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I'm sorry you feel like you should be a teacher, but the fact of the matter is that you are not qualified.

1.What if I didn't understand the rules for capitalization and punctuation? Should the basic minimum be set aside for me?

2. In this day and age, you will be required to understand a variety of mathematical concepts in order to function on your job as a public school teacher.

If you would like to teach Spanish, my suggestion would be to get a degree in Spanish and teach at a private school. You could also open and run a day care service that augments school readiness.
You are hilarious.
1.I forgot that American people don't speak English...we all communicate in mathematical equations. Thanks for setting me straight.
2. If you are going to be a math teacher, certainly. Thanks anyway.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I believe ALL states have reading, writing and math in the basic skills.
They do, but not all states require teachers in all areas to take those basic skills test.

I just found out that NY state doesn't have a math component in their basic skills tests:
(unless you are going to be an elementary, middle school or ECE teacher, or an actual math teacher, which I totally understand).

Colorado doesn't either.

As for Pennsylvania: "The basic skills assessment requirement is waived for all certificates as of November 1, 2014 if the applicant: Completed an approved post-baccalaureate certification program OR holds a post-baccalaureate graduate level degree."

Awesome.

Last edited by SPAteacherNYC; 04-14-2015 at 09:50 AM..

Old 04-14-2015, 10:35 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPAteacherNYC View Post
I know, I know...we all use math one way or another whether we realize it or not.

But do we really use high-level math? I can certainly understand the reading and writing parts of the Basic Skills Tests...we all [English speakers] talk and write in English all the time; we communicate through the English language, not through statistical data or algebraic equations. I know that some of you will give me snarky examples of how we do use those in real life, but I really need some sympathy now.

The truth is that I feel that I have a lot of good qualities to become a teacher. I am compassionate, patient, knowledgeable, empathetic, hard-working, socially and culturally aware, and very much into social justice and educational improvement, and I love children and adolescents, but I probably won't be able to teach ever because I am unable to pass these stupid tests.

How does knowing how to get the unknown X in a two variable algebraic equation make me a better Spanish teacher?
And those are the kinds of things that you don't master in a 4 month crash course. You have to scaffold those skills from day one of your life-long education.
Most states will not let you teach Spanish, art, or theatre if you don't pass a fricking math component of a Basic Skills test that includes not just simple arithmetic, but probability, stats, and algebra. I don't know whether this was my fault or my teachers' fault, but at some point I became extremely bad at math. Anyone who says that there's no such thing as being bad at math, please come here and teach me how to pass those tests. I will pay them whatever they want.

This is a rant-y post because I am incredibly frustrated. I am not kidding...I'm this close to crying.

IAnyone know if any state in the USA doesn't require a math component in their Basic Skills Tests for non-math/non-science teachers?
First, high school algebra and geometry are NOT higher level math.

Second, I have no sympathy for teachers who cannot pass simple tests. We expect our students to pass all kinds of crazy tests, so we have to be able to take and pass them too.

For a teacher not to understand probability and statistics is a shame because it means you cannot understand many things that you will see in politics. How can you judge politicians who are voting for bills that limit science or who misunderstand climate change if you don't understand probability and statistics?
Our teachers need to be at a higher level than the children.

Do any states not require a basic level of reading for math teachers? It would be a disservice to the kids if that was true and it is a disservice to the kids for their teachers to not understand math.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:17 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
None of the basic skills test math I was tested on was particularly high level. I'm NOT a math wizard, by any means, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching