Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 04:04 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,676,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If declining Math skills are happening in K-12 then wouldn't it just be logical that they would also be declining with young adults ? We have the same issue with reading and literacy scores.

In Texas most aspiring teachers now take the Generalist 4-8 which is 1/4 Math over the Math 4-8 test.
And even then the Math section is the one most need to retake.

Those students that are good in Math typically don't go into teaching.

Some articles on this:
Future teachers can
Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I posted 2 links. This issue is happening all over the US.
And it's not just Math. One state is considering lowering the passing score so that more can pass.
I'm sorry, I didn't read your links until just now.

The first one left me a bit confused. Of course a mathematics teacher should have to pass a math test that goes up through calculus. I actually think it should be much more stringent if it is secondary.

I don't feel like there is enough information in the second article to form an opinion about the quality of the teacher exam.

People that feel valued will go into mathematics. As I said earlier, the Finland model is a good example of that.

When I was pre-service, I kept running into students who could not pass the math portion of the Praxis. And what amazed me was that they were okay with announcing it to anyone. "I can't pass an Eighth Grade level math test and I'm not ashamed enough to shut my trap about it." These are the teachers that make the rest of us look bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 04:08 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
You are so bizarre...you get that this is an informal message board and not my dissertation, right? You get that in informal conversation that people will speak less formally, right? I've been known to end a sentence with a preposition when speaking casually. It doesn't mean I don't know when it's appropriate and when it is not. That does not mean that I do not have a quality, well-rounded education that I can draw upon when the situation arises.

If you want to find grammar, spelling, diction, and syntax errors in my posts, you will be busy a long time. It's an informal format and I do not proofread for typos and such.

Forget the math, you are very-mean spirited for someone who desires teaching as a career.
If you can't take basic constructive critism from experienced teachers, you won't make it. University was fun but not where most of us learned how to teach.

Yeah us language teachers never make grammatical mistakes. Lmao, I still get Wednesday incorrect on occasion. That doesn't change that I have to teach geometrical shapes in French to kindergartners...

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-17-2015 at 05:55 AM.. Reason: removed the insult - no troll talk please

Old 04-16-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
That doesn't change that I have to teach geometrical shapes in French to kindergartners...
Do you speak French?

Old 04-16-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Do you speak French?
Yes, my subjects are ESL and French. Us language teachers can't skirt around math, although for some reason, non-teachers think we only teach language arts in another language.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Yes, my subjects are ESL and French. Us language teachers can't skirt around math, although for some reason, non-teachers think we only teach language arts in another language.
With a large Hispanic student population, I, when I know how, will make comparisons about mathematics in English and Spanish.

For example, A = bh (Area equals base times height) is written with the b preceding the h as a matter of convention where we write the variables in expressions in alphabetical order. If a student is learning this Area formula in a Spanish speaking country it is written A = ab (Area equals altura e base). Altura is height and, true to convention, is listed first and opposite of its English counterpart. It doesn't matter because it is multiplication and it is commutative. It's an enriching aspect to this lesson. I don't have to know Spanish to teach math, but by having that supposed non-essential class, my lessons are not so myopic.

When a teacher has a rich, well-rounded degree outside their area of concentration, it makes them a better and more interesting teacher when he or she can pull in tangential points of interest in their subject matter.

I'm learning French. It is shameful that I have not learned it before now.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:57 AM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
Quote:
Aliss2, es-tu Quebecoise? The Canadian school system, especially schools with secondary languages, is quite different from the American. The OP's intent to teach Spanish in New York City schools means that she will be teaching students who do not begin their study of Spanish until 7th grade (age 12-13) or even later. The class will meet approximately 45 minutes a day or the equivalent amount of time per week, depending on how the school schedules their classroom time. "Average" American students only study a foreign language for approximately 3 years and not much is covered during that time. The OP is never ever going to teach math as a teacher of foreign languages. All that will be covered is vocabulary and grammar, and Latin American culture ( mostly explained in English). The vocabulary will cover numbers and maybe some shapes. That's about as mathematical it will get. Typical American students with 2 to 4 years of secondary school foreign language (in NYS, Spanish 4 and 5 are advanced electives) do not come close to fluency. Again, I am not talking about bilingual Spanish teaching, which is considered as a separate domain and certification from teaching Spanish as a foreign language to non-Spanish speakers. Most people know Americans' reputation, unlike Europeans, to be rather deficient in foreign languages. The OP will be responsible for preparing her students for the NYS Spanish regents exam for students who get through 3 years of Spanish. The exam is fairly simple (yet many students will struggle to pass). The directions are given in English and even part of the listening secion is in English. So yes, in the US, teachers of foreign language only teach language arts.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:14 AM

No, not Quebecoise, but spent many years there. Well, that is good news for OP. It sounds like language-use expectations are rather low, indeed! By grade 12, we expect FSL (second language) and FI (immersion) to be capable of entering a francophone university, or, at minimum, 3rd year university French.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:36 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
Of course there are schools in NYC, as well as around the country that have immersion FL learning. In my school district we have Spanish immersion starting in first grade where all classes are taught in Spanish until fourth grade. As I mentioned to the OP earlier though, they only hire native language speakers. I would guess that's what most immersion schools look for with their teachers.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:15 AM

80 posts, read 162,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The OP is never ever going to teach math as a teacher of foreign languages. All that will be covered is vocabulary and grammar, and Latin American culture ( mostly explained in English). The vocabulary will cover numbers and maybe some shapes. That's about as mathematical it will get. [. . .] Again, I am not talking about bilingual Spanish teaching, which is considered as a separate domain and certification from teaching Spanish as a foreign language to non-Spanish speakers [. . . ] So yes, in the US, teachers of foreign language only teach language arts.
I am going to be a Spanish teacher! Praise the Lord for not needing math!!

And in other related news: Yay!!!!! Got myself an interview for a high school Spanish teaching gig in NYC!!!!!!!!!!!! I am way too happy to respond to each of the self-important negative nellies, but to everyone else who gave sincere, non-judgmental advice...THANK YOU!!!!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-18-2015 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: removed the rude pearl clutching insult

Old 04-17-2015, 12:13 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
Quote:
No, not Quebecoise, but spent many years there. Well, that is good news for OP. It sounds like language-use expectations are rather low, indeed! By grade 12, we expect FSL (second language) and FI (immersion) to be capable of entering a francophone university, or, at minimum, 3rd year university French.
Yes, I understand, but the American model and the Canadian model are not comparable. There are "bilingual" immersion programs in the NYC area, both public and private, but these are "special" optional programs, going beyond the basic requirements and unlike many other cities in the US, there are large numbers of non-English speakers of many, many other languages besides Spanish. Remember, unlike Canada, the US does not have an official national language. Of course, English is the defacto language and the bilingual education programs for Spanish immigrants have been controversial for many years. We do not have the dual language system like Canada. Foreign language study is not even required for high school graduation, but most 4 year universities require a minimum of 2 years of HS foreign language for acceptance. Community colleges do not require it at all.

The bilingual immersion programs for English speakers in New York City public schools is very new. Of course, we have had private bilingual schools for many years. Again, public and private school concepts are very different in the US than they are in Canada.

I remember when public signs in Montreal were in both English and French. After all the political ruckus, that was changed to French. In NYC, public information signs in places like the subway are in Korean, Russian, Chinese, and Spanish.

Last edited by Coney; 04-17-2015 at 12:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching