Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 10:17 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times

Advertisements

I think Praxis is primarily a cash cow, to be honest. Turning out minimally well-rounded educators is a secondary benefit to raking in $$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 12:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I think Praxis is primarily a cash cow, to be honest. Turning out minimally well-rounded educators is a secondary benefit to raking in $$$.
Texas has their own set of certification tests and I found all of them way too easy.
The content tests were a breeze..I was done with the Technology EC-12 in 15 minutes
The Math tests took the longest but that's because I double checked all of my answers.

And, as another poster stated, some of these teachers brag about how many times they had to take the tests before passing. I'd be embarrassed to be telling folks about taking the test 6 times.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:32 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
ALL the tests are easy -incompetent teachers pass them all the time. But they certainly do bring in a lot by way of exam fees.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:09 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,676,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I can't disagree with you there.

Don't get me started on ETS.

My assertion, though, is that at least they weed out some. That not true for business majors, architects, sociology majors, urban planning, criminal justice...you get the picture.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:27 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,648 times
I am simply reviewing all the math I know I need to review. Plus, I will take any and all math courses needed. This running from math has gone on long enough, at least for me. It has been a long time since I took math courses, and I was never very good back then at math. Speaking for me,at least, when a person really needs to learn something as an adult that person is able to learn, if determined to learn. Back in high school, I never thought I could do well in some subjects.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:31 AM

Do high schools these days generally hire only native speakers to teach foreign languages? When I attended middle and high school, the language teachers generally were not native speakers. In fact, I remember only one substitute teacher who was a native speaker. No other language teacher was a native speaker. At the local community college, only one teacher is a native speaker.

There is limited instruction in Chinese in my area, and the teachers of that language are all native speakers. Job listings for Chinese teachers for local schools will always ask for native speakers or the equivalent. I use Chinese as an example. I am not 100% sure, but in job listings for other languages, I think they ask for native speakers. Yet, the teachers usually are not native speakers.

Last edited by katnip kid; 04-23-2015 at 04:36 AM.. Reason: add something

Old 04-23-2015, 06:33 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Do high schools these days generally hire only native speakers to teach foreign languages? When I attended middle and high school, the language teachers generally were not native speakers. In fact, I remember only one substitute teacher who was a native speaker. No other language teacher was a native speaker. At the local community college, only one teacher is a native speaker.

There is limited instruction in Chinese in my area, and the teachers of that language are all native speakers. Job listings for Chinese teachers for local schools will always ask for native speakers or the equivalent. I use Chinese as an example. I am not 100% sure, but in job listings for other languages, I think they ask for native speakers. Yet, the teachers usually are not native speakers.
Our schools tend to hire native speakers but they are much harder to find. My understanding is that there is a big difference between being fluent and being able to pass the language certification tests. Even harder is finding native speakers that want to teach at an elementary level. We may have one HS Spanish teacher that is not a native language speaker, but they were hired years ago.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:43 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
Finding qualified native speakers (who actually want to teach) are hard to find outside of the major metro areas like NY or LA. Even harder for some language like French or German.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:43 AM

The requirements for a native speaker always discouraged me from going further in a language. Yet, few, if any, native speakers were hired.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:51 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
The requirements for a native speaker always discouraged me from going further in a language. Yet, few, if any, native speakers were hired.
Depends on the region. It is about 50/50 where I am - but all of us non-francophones either lived in a French region or did full immersion from K to BEd. The whole "native speaker" requirement is dwindling in SLA (second language acquisition) as it is becoming clear that nonnative speakers can be equal, if not better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching