Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 12:07 PM

395 posts, read 374,718 times

Advertisements

To be clear, I don't recall ever asking anyone here if they think I'd make a good substitute teacher or if they think I should do it. I don't know why everyone feels the need to share their opinion when it's not their concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 01:25 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico_Fermi View Post
To be clear, I don't recall ever asking anyone here if they think I'd make a good substitute teacher or if they think I should do it. I don't know why everyone feels the need to share their opinion when it's not their concern.
Hey, your original question was "is it normal?". The answer is YES, the fundamentals of your job include teaching prerequisites and understanding the realities of your student's background. Your comments are disgraceful.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:51 PM

No. Not being able to do basic arithmetic in high school is disgraceful. Sorry, but it is.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:59 PM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
No. Not being able to do basic arithmetic in high school is disgraceful. Sorry, but it is.
You're right. And?

What you're not tracking is that you have to meet the students where they are (in every subject that's sequential, Math, Social Studies, English, some Sciences) and it doesn't matter what you think is or is not disgraceful. In this case your opinion is moot.

That's what successful teachers understand.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
There are probably those who would argue that graduating from a college program without developing rote strategies for basic interpersonal and coping skills that lead to success in one's workplace, but that don't, for a variety of reasons, come naturally is disgraceful, as well.

Doesn't make it any less of a reality that needs to be addressed.

OP, you have repeatedly stressed in your travails in professional settings your belief that others need to take your needs into account, meet you where you are at, and accept the terms of your reality. But you are unable to generalize this belief and apply it to others, namely, your students.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:24 PM

That's because people here don't try to see where I'm coming from. What's the difference?

Old 09-10-2015, 03:25 PM

It's not too different from you having a hard time seeing where your students are coming from.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:45 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,347 times
Quote:
That's because people here don't try to see where I'm coming from. What's the difference?
Maybe the combined scores (if not hundreds) of years of teaching experience in this forum gives us an insight to know exactly where you're coming from. But you don't have the experience - or the desire - to acknowledge it. You are like the typical know-it-all student that can't admit that others with vast more experience might know better. And instead of taking their advice, you'd rather prove them wrong. We'll wait here for you... go ahead... please,let us know when you world has changed to submit to your desire.

We've seen your type come and go during our combined tenure in education. And we've watched you fail again and again, until you either admit you were wrong - or quit because the world doesn't work the way you think it ought to.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
Maybe the combined scores (if not hundreds) of years of teaching experience in this forum gives us an insight to know exactly where you're coming from. But you don't have the experience - or the desire - to acknowledge it. You are like the typical know-it-all student that can't admit that others with vast more experience might know better. And instead of taking their advice, you'd rather prove them wrong. We'll wait here for you... go ahead... please,let us know when you world has changed to submit to your desire.

We've seen your type come and go during our combined tenure in education. And we've watched you fail again and again, until you either admit you were wrong - or quit because the world doesn't work the way you think it ought to.
I don't think this is quite the case, myself, given the OP's past posts.

The OP has legitimate barriers to responding with empathy and interpersonal understanding toward others, to internalizing and considering alternate viewpoints, and struggles with rigidity and fitting things into narrow parameters. His training may have done him a disservice by not taking into account his diagnosis and how it would impact this particular career choice, and it seems that nobody pressed him to deeply consider how to address these barricades in a situation like this.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:58 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I don't think this is quite the case, myself, given the OP's past posts.

The OP has legitimate barriers to responding with empathy and interpersonal understanding toward others, to internalizing and considering alternate viewpoints, and struggles with rigidity and fitting things into narrow parameters. His training may have done him a disservice by not taking into account his diagnosis and how it would impact this particular career choice, and it seems that nobody pressed him to deeply consider how to address these barricades in a situation like this.
I understand quite well about his interpersonal issues. In that you are correct.

But there absolutely no denying his complete lack of acceptance of the advice being given to him. He seems to think the world must be one way - or said world must conform to his needs - but the reality we constantly point out is ignored.

His training in college for this position is moot. A vast, vast majority of teachers I know consider the experience of actually teaching to be the best method of teacher training - but a pre-condition of this is the willingness to actually listen to those with the successful experience.

He simply doesn't. He is frustrated by a profession that isn't what he wants it to be, and our advice concerning his potential and fitness for said job is ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching