Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 02:21 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,738,307 times

Advertisements

Years ago, people felt embarrassed to admit to being a victim of being bullied. Now, everyone freely admits that they were bullied. But I rarely hear stories about people admitting to do the bullying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 04:12 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,203,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
That may be the case, but when the bully is right back in class. And continues to do the same bullying acts. And again the next year. And the next.

Then NOTHING was done.
You have absolutely no idea if the child or the family had counseling or if the child has a disability or if the school psychologist or guidance counselor is working privately with the child. You have no idea if CPS or the police have been involved in the situation orr if the child is on some type of behavioral. management program or if the doctor has been trying unsuccessfully to find appropriate medication for the child.

Would you want all of your neighbors and friends to be informed that you have been reported to CPS or the police are involved ecause of the actions of your child? I suspect that your answer is no.

While it is true that the child.s behavior should be improving it is wrong is for you to just assume that "nothing" has been done. I once worked with an extremely difficult student with extreme behavior problems. Hours and hours a week of documentation, consultations with. numerous staff including his doctors every week , daily contact with his parents and it still took almost two years to find and place him in an alternative school setting. To an outside observer it probably appeared that "nothing was being done" but that was very far from the truth.

But, if that student is still.bullying your child talk with the teacher & give specific examples. If you do not yet satisfaction go to the principal & if that does not srop the bullying go to the school board. But keep in mind that they can not break confidentiality and tell you what they are trying. But you can let the school know that they need to trying more or different things than what they are doing now is not working to stop the bullying of your.child. . Good luck.

Last edited by germaine2626; 10-03-2015 at 04:23 PM..

Old 10-03-2015, 05:17 PM

1,289 posts, read 940,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Two basic questions for teachers on the subject of bullying:

1. If one of your students is being bullied, what do you want or advise the student to do about it?

2. Where do you draw the line- physical attacks (assault), destruction of property, verbal, etc.?
From my brother the teacher,

1) "At the beginning of the school year I announce to each class If any one of you is being bullied or if you know of someone who is being bullied, report it to me. I can help. If I'm not available, see Mr. ____ or Ms _____. The three of us work together on this. We have stopped bullying before. Report to me or them. We can help." He says this is effective, especially with the younger and smaller students who are most often the targets of bullies.

2) "I do not draw lines. That's for the police and/or CPS to do. If I see an incident that I feel is bullying, or a child reports an incident of what feels like bullying to them, I do any and all of what I'm allowed to do within the law and within school district procedure. Including contacting the public agencies mentioned if necessary."

Old 10-03-2015, 05:30 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,449,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
You have absolutely no idea if the child or the family had counseling or if the child has a disability or if the school psychologist or guidance counselor is working privately with the child. You have no idea if CPS or the police have been involved in the situation orr if the child is on some type of behavioral. management program or if the doctor has been trying unsuccessfully to find appropriate medication for the child.

Would you want all of your neighbors and friends to be informed that you have been reported to CPS or the police are involved ecause of the actions of your child? I suspect that your answer is no.

While it is true that the child.s behavior should be improving it is wrong is for you to just assume that "nothing" has been done. I once worked with an extremely difficult student with extreme behavior problems. Hours and hours a week of documentation, consultations with. numerous staff including his doctors every week , daily contact with his parents and it still took almost two years to find and place him in an alternative school setting. To an outside observer it probably appeared that "nothing was being done" but that was very far from the truth.

But, if that student is still.bullying your child talk with the teacher & give specific examples. If you do not yet satisfaction go to the principal & if that does not srop the bullying go to the school board. But keep in mind that they can not break confidentiality and tell you what they are trying. But you can let the school know that they need to trying more or different things than what they are doing now is not working to stop the bullying of your.child. . Good luck.
I think what tnff meant was if the student is returned to the same class, continues being a bully, then nothing is being done to protect the bullied.

One student's right to privacy shouldn't be put above the rights of other students to not be bullied. They have a much more important right to feel safe in their classroom and school, and to receive an education without it being interrupted with physical or verbal threats, physical violence, destruction of property, etc.

If a student cannot or will not control him/herself, his/her rights do not supersede the rights of all the other students.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:27 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,203,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I think what tnff meant was if the student is returned to the same class, continues being a bully, then nothing is being done to protect the bullied.

One student's right to privacy shouldn't be put above the rights of other students to not be bullied. They have a much more important right to feel safe in their classroom and school, and to receive an education without it being interrupted with physical or verbal threats, physical violence, destruction of property, etc.

If a student cannot or will not control him/herself, his/her rights do not supersede the rights of all the other students.
If your child continues to be bullied then you need to pursue it and stop it. If the bully continue to bully then the school, that child"s parents and the community (police, CPS, doctors, etc) are not doing enough or the right things too stop the bullying.

Go to the teacher, then go to the principal, then go to the school board and if that is not enough go beyond. Go to the police or the newspaper or the TV stations or CPS or an attorney or all of those places/people.

If your child does not feel safe in the classroom than whatever the school is doing privately, behind the scenes is not enough. Sometimes a school is hindered in what they can do because of various circumstances such as a student"s documented disability but that still does not give that. child the right to be a bully. If you go though the channels and feel that your child is still not safe go to the police and file a report or go to the press or community leaders to get them nvolved.

As I said earlier my district takes bullying very seriously. Teachers & administrators have been disciplined, at times severely, for not handling reports of bullying swiftly and appropriatly. In the past some schools did not handle bullying very well, it that is not the case anymore in most places.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:08 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,745,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
As a retired teacher I'll chime in. Where is the line between bullying and "normal" behavior? One has to walk a fine line.

Urban Dictionary: dozens
What is "normal" at home or on the street is often not normal in school. The line is not that fine!

Old 10-04-2015, 07:59 AM

20,130 posts, read 16,200,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post

With rare exception, every classroom teacher I know totally agrees with the bolded. The problem is that administrators, central offices, and school boards don't always. Additionally, despite what common sense would tell us all, if that bully is on an IEP the way the courts have ruled on civil suits, legally they don't.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:03 AM

45,522 posts, read 60,760,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
What is "normal" at home or on the street is often not normal in school. The line is not that fine!

Do you teach many Black kids? It most certainly is "normal" and woe to the White teacher who calls the kids on it. Especially when administrators and some teachers exhibit the same behavior.

Schools reflect the community.

Sorry, 30+ years in a majority minority school system jaded me.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:51 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,595,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
With rare exception, every classroom teacher I know totally agrees with the bolded. The problem is that administrators, central offices, and school boards don't always. Additionally, despite what common sense would tell us all, if that bully is on an IEP the way the courts have ruled on civil suits, legally they don't.
Once they turn 17 though that "bullying" becomes assault and the cops don't care about any IEP's.

That just happened to a student at the local high school. He found out real quick that real life is not like school..an IEP won't protect you.
Police showed up at the high school on Friday morning to arrest him. Spent the weekend in jail.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:00 AM

45,522 posts, read 60,760,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Once they turn 17 though that "bullying" becomes assault and the cops don't care about any IEP's.

That just happened to a student at the local high school. He found out real quick that real life is not like school..an IEP won't protect you.
Police showed up at the high school on Friday morning to arrest him. Spent the weekend in jail.
Off on a quick tangent:

We had a girl who stole cell phones, a couple dozen in her first 4 years of high school. Always got kicked back to school, no real punishment in Juvenile Court.

Comes to her 2nd Senior year and she turns 18, steals a cell phone a couple days later. The resident CRO takes her in and goes to the jail entrance instead of juvenile intake. The girl freaks out.

The CRO just says, "Welcome to the big leagues". Girl comes back to school a couple days later and she was calm the rest of the year and finally graduated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching