Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 10:12 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Do you teach many Black kids? It most certainly is "normal" and woe to the White teacher who calls the kids on it. Especially when administrators and some teachers exhibit the same behavior.

Schools reflect the community.

Sorry, 30+ years in a majority minority school system jaded me.
I teach to standards, and hold high expectations of all children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 10:28 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I teach to standards, and hold high expectations of all children.
Who doesn't?

Old 10-05-2015, 06:50 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
You have absolutely no idea if the child or the family had counseling or if the child has a disability or if the school psychologist or guidance counselor is working privately with the child. You have no idea if CPS or the police have been involved in the situation orr if the child is on some type of behavioral. management program or if the doctor has been trying unsuccessfully to find appropriate medication for the child.

Would you want all of your neighbors and friends to be informed that you have been reported to CPS or the police are involved ecause of the actions of your child? I suspect that your answer is no.

While it is true that the child.s behavior should be improving it is wrong is for you to just assume that "nothing" has been done. I once worked with an extremely difficult student with extreme behavior problems. Hours and hours a week of documentation, consultations with. numerous staff including his doctors every week , daily contact with his parents and it still took almost two years to find and place him in an alternative school setting. To an outside observer it probably appeared that "nothing was being done" but that was very far from the truth.

But, if that student is still.bullying your child talk with the teacher & give specific examples. If you do not yet satisfaction go to the principal & if that does not srop the bullying go to the school board. But keep in mind that they can not break confidentiality and tell you what they are trying. But you can let the school know that they need to trying more or different things than what they are doing now is not working to stop the bullying of your.child. . Good luck.
Sorry not to respond sooner, busy yesterday. And I apologize up front for how this will come across. It's an issue I feel very strongly about.

Actually, I absolutely do know. You're making a lot of assumptions based on how you've handled things. I'm not talking here about a kid with behavior problems (at least the psychological kind) or bad home life, or any of the standard assumptions that go with things like IEPs and child services or such. I'm talking about kids who were spoiled brats that got rewarded (in terms of power among peers) by bullying and teachers who did not believe bullying was an issue. Teachers and principals who believed and stated that bullying was good for you because it "toughened you up." As well as principals and coaches who didn't want to hurt the football player's eligibility. I was there. I do know.

My kids are well beyond this stage now with one in college and one a sophomore, and they always knew I had their backs if needed. And even today I still feel compassion for the victims of bullies. Because every day, while the system is protecting the rights of the bully, another kid swallows a few pills. Or eats a pistol. Or, God forbid, decides to fix the problem themselves. I'm sure the bullies IEP will be great comfort to the victim's parents.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:45 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Sorry not to respond sooner, busy yesterday. And I apologize up front for how this will come across. It's an issue I feel very strongly about.

Actually, I absolutely do know. You're making a lot of assumptions based on how you've handled things. I'm not talking here about a kid with behavior problems (at least the psychological kind) or bad home life, or any of the standard assumptions that go with things like IEPs and child services or such. I'm talking about kids who were spoiled brats that got rewarded (in terms of power among peers) by bullying and teachers who did not believe bullying was an issue. Teachers and principals who believed and stated that bullying was good for you because it "toughened you up." As well as principals and coaches who didn't want to hurt the football player's eligibility. I was there. I do know.

My kids are well beyond this stage now with one in college and one a sophomore, and they always knew I had their backs if needed. And even today I still feel compassion for the victims of bullies. Because every day, while the system is protecting the rights of the bully, another kid swallows a few pills. Or eats a pistol. Or, God forbid, decides to fix the problem themselves. I'm sure the bullies IEP will be great comfort to the victim's parents.
I am truly sorry that the bullying was not handled very well or treated seriously in your child's school.

Is bullying total eradicated in 2015? Sadly, No. However there has been tremendous gains & improvements in recent years and especially in the past five years. Many of the current anti-bullying programs in schools focus on peers supporting and helping their friends, classmates and strangers if they observe an act of bullying. In many schools today it is the bully or former bully who is ostracized by his or her peers. Being a bully today , in most places, certainly does not give them" power" amoung their peers in fact it usually has the totally opposite effect.

Is every school and every community today perfect in regards to bullying? No, but most places are working very hard to correct the attitudes and errors of the past. Just like in other areas of injustice change does not happen overnight. As an example. I recall the difficulties that a trangender friend had when she was back in MS & HS 10 to 15 years ago & I compare that to the transgendered teens , in the same community that I know in HS today and there is a tremendous difference. And I suspect that a few years in the future, at least in my community, there will be even greater acceptance of transgendered teens and adults by a much wider range of individuals.

If your community is not aggressively working to eliminate bullying then, as a concerned adult, you need to step in and demand that they do more to solve the problem. And, that refers to bullying in all settings including the workplace and other areas in the community.

Last edited by germaine2626; 10-06-2015 at 05:01 AM..

Old 10-06-2015, 06:20 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
That may be the case, but when the bully is right back in class. And continues to do the same bullying acts. And again the next year. And the next.

Then NOTHING was done.
Not necessarily. However what was done did not work. There is only so much schools can do. If suspensions and detentions don't work what should the school do?

Old 10-06-2015, 07:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Not necessarily. However what was done did not work. There is only so much schools can do. If suspensions and detentions don't work what should the school do?
Expel them then. Only that is not allowed anymore.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:46 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
In my district, the police have been involved in a number of cases and some students were placed in juvenile detention facilities and I know that at least some have been charged as adults. Our district has also expelled a number of students who engaged in acts that were considered bullying.

Again, because of confidentially the general population, even fellow students probably would not be aware of this. Even teachers in our district, who were not directly involved in those specific cases, may not be aware of what happened.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
THAT is the problem. If what the schools can do doesn't work there's nothing left.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:53 AM

Quote:
In my district, the police have been involved in a number of cases and some students were placed in juvenile detention facilities and I know that at least some have been charged as adults. Our district has also expelled a number of students who engaged in acts that were considered bullying.

Again, because of confidentially the general population, even fellow students probably would not be aware of this. Even teachers in our district, who were not directly involved in those specific cases, may not be aware of what happened.
You have a point. It's possible that more action has been taken than we've heard about. This isn't something that they'd broadcast with the morning announcements.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:23 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:

In most states because of sunshine laws, although the name of the student is not reveled, closed school board meetings must still have public records that an expulsion meeting occurred. I know in some districts they noted the bare bones outcome in the offical blurb in the minutes available to the public.

For most parents, the mere removal of the bullying student to an alternative school satisfies their need to have something done. If you really listen to parents and the victims, they aren't really complaining because nothing is done to the bully, what they are actually complaining about is that there doesn't seem to be enough done to protect the bullied student or make them feel safe, along with the feeling that other students are not being sent a message bullying will be punished.

I agree with the notion that true expulsion is not a good solution in just about every single case. However, we need to be much quicker about sending troublemakers to alternative schools and something needs to be done about the practically free pass IEP students seem to get. I get very frustrated, and I am sure I am not alone, when special education students are granted their "free and appropriate education in the least restrictive environment" at the expense of "regular" students' right to a free and appropriate education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching