Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 08:21 AM

184 posts, read 144,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Teachers seem to be exempt from a lot of rules in other professional workplaces.
I get to hear a lot of moaning and groaning in the teacher lunchroom but never see them actually do something.

Last year one school had the teacher lunch cut from 45 minutes to 20 minutes.
That meant no more going off campus because you couldn't get anywhere and back in 20 minutes.
I commented on it one day when I subbed and boy did I hear an earful. Then I asked.."So are you all going to take this to the principal ?" and you could hear a pin drop.

If you don't stand up for yourself and your rights then you deserve what you get.

I just recently got dinged for my class not having an interactive notebook.
I said the reason was because the kids had no glue sticks.
Got told I should have bought them myself...(120 glue sticks and you know they go thru them pretty quick).
I said supplying the students is not my job..teaching them is and their notebooks contain what they need to know whether it be written in or colored and glued in.

And FWIW I don't care if they don't renew me. I don't need the money. I'm there to teach the kids, not make administrators happy with the latest fad being used in the classroom that has no verifiable results.
If you stand up for yourself the principal will make your life hell and make sure you aren't rehired. I've witnessed it and was almost a victim of it myself. I left that district and have an amazing boss now and thankfully don't have to put up with that crap. But at the time, I didn't have a whole lot of choices - I needed the job to be able to provide for my family. It's really easy to stick up for yourself when losing your job won't hurt you; not so easy when you have mouths to feed. I'm alternative certified, too, and could have gone back to industry; I can't imagine how tough it would be on teachers who don't have other options to fall back on.

In Texas at least, teachers are required to have a 30-minute duty-free lunch. If the district violates that you can anonymously contact the teacher organization who will write a letter to the campus advising the principal they are breaking the law. And nothing will happen. I complained when they required weekly meetings during our conferences, which they weren't allowed to do. When I called my teacher organization and complained, the administration was furious and told us at a faculty meeting we could either give up our conferences or start staying after school for those meetings. We already stayed 90 minutes after every Wednesday for a faculty meeting, and no one wanted to also stay another day, so they got away with it. I got in trouble for leaving one of those meetings "early" at 5:15 to go get my daughter from daycare. When I called my teacher org I got told that administrators can require teachers to stay after so long as that time wasn't excessive. When I asked what was excessive, I got told there was no definition .

When the administration found out it was me complaining, my evals were horrible and the other staff was told to stay away because I was a negative person. My last year there sucked because I was basically a leper. I learned my lesson well. My new position is awesome and my boss loves me. I was lucky to be able to go elsewhere...not everyone is so lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 08:24 AM

395 posts, read 374,718 times
I worked for it though. I wasn't a lazy dim wit who wanted something for nothing.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:44 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico_Fermi View Post
I worked for it though. I wasn't a lazy dim wit who wanted something for nothing.
I have just as valid of an argument, that you didn't work for it, as you have that they didn't work for it. I could argue that you were unwilling to work at compromise. I could argue that you are unwilling to even try to meet the standards. I could argue that you were unwilling to work at modifying your behavior. I could argue that you refused to seek remedial education to be able to pass the program and when practically forced into it, you just flat out refused to listen to those trying to help you. I could argue you didn't learn anything from your first failed attempt and, even when given a second chance with a scenario that was set up in way to help you pass, you still refused to work at your deficiencies.

See how that works. They have intellectual deficiencies, well you had a different kind of deficiency. And if we are just going to throw away them and deny them any chance at a normal, productive life because they can't do certain things, then we don't owe it to you either. I don't happen to agree with that philosophy, but if you do then you need to be consistent.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:40 AM

Well, actually I did an independent study course designed to help meet my needs. I got a B+ in the coursw, but still couldn't meet the overall plan of getting ready to handle the social and emotional demands of teaching. I told them my grades speak for themselves and I felt they weren't recognizing that, but they said it wasn't about the grades.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:45 AM

45,407 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Well, actually I did an independent study course designed to help meet my needs. I got a B+ in the coursw, but still couldn't meet the overall plan of getting ready to handle the social and emotional demands of teaching. I told them my grades speak for themselves and I felt they weren't recognizing that, but they said it wasn't about the grades.

And they were right. Teaching is more than good grades in the prep courses. Many people get good grades throughout teacher training classes (which weren't very many when I did it) and then crash, burn and self-immolate during student teaching.

That's kinda what happened to you. You should be grateful to have been afforded an alternative so you could graduate. As I indicated earlier that wasn't afforded to people when I was in college.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:58 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
Quote:
Lazy students do not deserve anything more than an F if that's what they received themselves. I have a student who slouches in class, never does his homework, and never studies. I'll gladly enter an F in the gradebook for him.

However, the student who is always in class, always does his/her work, but still cannot grasp the information does not deserve an F. They deserve an A for effort, but since we grade on performance and not effort, the student will end up with a D. Getting a D is terrible, but it's better than getting an F and not being able to graduate because of classes they will never use again in their life.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Correct. And, yet, they still figured out a way to let you get a diploma anyway, because they knew you would never be able to grasp the social and emotional demands of teaching, no matter what kinds of intervention they did. They passed you on, just like the teachers you are berating pass on students who will never, ever be able to grasp higher math or chemistry.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:17 AM

Even if a student can meet the demands but doesn't wanna teach, they allow them to graduate if they have 122 credit hours. I didn't get a free pass. I still had to meet the graduation requirements. I just didn't meet the certification requirements, so I'm not certified. So I look at it as they didn't give me jack.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:18 AM

Straw man argument Mrs. Hag. I didn't say a thing about students Geometry or Chemistry abilities.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Straw man argument Mrs. Hag. I didn't say a thing about students Geometry or Chemistry abilities.
There are states where those classes are required to graduate. There are students incapable of passing those classes so teachers give them D's to let them graduate. You were berating teachers for giving them those grades. No straw man here.

Quote:
I had a laundry list of mental health issues in high school that weren't being treated, but nobody made the work easier for me saying I have too much going on to think creatively. The reason was because I was white, so people didn't claim my bad grades were because I just couldn't do it like teachers do for black kids. I worked hard for my high school diploma and got it with honors and I'm sick of other people that have it just handed to them because their papa was a Rollin stone.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-12-2015 at 03:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching