Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:21 PM

7 posts, read 8,832 times

Advertisements

Being a good parent is hard work and takes dedication. Buying an overpriced house in a good school district and letting the teachers take care of the kids is easier. Long Islanders with their endless open check budget passes have been brainwashed into thinking good schools are the answer to everything.

what’s funny is that parents are so motivated to have “successful” kids, they have forgotten that raising your kid to care about people, have a sense of humor, a good attitude and great work ethic costs nothing.
These well-adjusted kids will have a much happier life than the over achieving, over ambitious alpha-dogs caught in the rat race of keeping up with the Jones’.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 09:43 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
It's not just the Island.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:51 PM

113 posts, read 263,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumIsland View Post
Being a good parent is hard work and takes dedication. Buying an overpriced house in a good school district and letting the teachers take care of the kids is easier. Long Islanders with their endless open check budget passes have been brainwashed into thinking good schools are the answer to everything.

what’s funny is that parents are so motivated to have “successful” kids, they have forgotten that raising your kid to care about people, have a sense of humor, a good attitude and great work ethic costs nothing.
These well-adjusted kids will have a much happier life than the over achieving, over ambitious alpha-dogs caught in the rat race of keeping up with the Jones’.
You make excellent points... I agree with you, but I can also speak as a parent... I would prefer that my kids attend the best schools (who wouldn't??) but the teaching begins at home

Old 03-30-2011, 06:30 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,344,743 times
Quote:

Ah, I get it. You are using the 4 people you know who have kids to rationalize your sweeping generalization about LI.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:48 AM

330 posts, read 726,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaFromQueens View Post
[COLOR=blueI would prefer that my kids attend the best schools [/color]

School is overrated. Smart kids will do good in bad schools, they learn on their own. Dumb kids will do bad in any school. I suppose it helps to have a smart kid in a good school, but the school itself is probably secondary when it comes to a child's performance. A smart kid who attends a terrible school yet reads on his/her own outside of school will be better educated then a dumb kid who attends the best school in the country and spends his/her time playing video games and texting outside of school.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:55 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post
School is overrated. Smart kids will do good in bad schools, they learn on their own. Dumb kids will do bad in any school. I suppose it helps to have a smart kid in a good school, but the school itself is probably secondary when it comes to a child's performance. A smart kid who attends a terrible school yet reads on his/her own outside of school will be better educated then a dumb kid who attends the best school in the country and spends his/her time playing video games and texting outside of school.
+1 Brilliant observation. Has anyone told this to the teachers union? the school board? or those dumb voters who pass budgets without contemplating the effects of such actions?

Old 03-30-2011, 07:00 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
"Why are our schools failing?", the mantra of talking heads like Lou Dobbs.

The schools aren't failing, parents and kids are failing. We can throw more and more money at schools, the bottom line is if your focus as a society is on Football and video games, you will get your butt whipped by a society where they focus on education. So, to that point, what the earlier poster said is true, even most of the "bad" districts on LI have the teachers and programs to provide a good education to a kid who wants to learn and is motivated by their parents. Even a godforsaken hole in the ground like Bellport sends kids to Ivy League schools.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:01 AM

186 posts, read 713,405 times
Quote:

Learning begin and ends at home.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:47 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post
Bravo! What always makes me laugh is when people are horrified if you live in the wrong district. It's all up to the parents and the kid. If your child is gifted, he/she will find an outlet to express this gift.

In the age of "every kid is special", its kind of sad that we have fogotten how rare true brilliance really is.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:45 AM

654 posts, read 2,120,527 times
I have always wondered about the city school and the way that they enroll their students, at least in high schools. Around here you go to the high school that you are zoned for. In Brooklyn and Queens and NYC you apply for the schools you want and can end up at a school in Queens even if you live in Brooklyn.

I understand that if you live near a school that is crappy you would apply to one that is not although it may be a hike. But being able to do that does not help thoses failing school. I think in turn they end up being populated by a student body of mostly slackers and the few that are bright and do care end up being over-shadowed by the rest of them.

That just seems odd to me. I don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island