Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 07:19 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
That's a huge percentage for homework. I would think 10-15% of their total grade would be better. If a kid never did homework, their total grade would at the highest be a 70. If they are able to pass all the assessments they should make higher than that, even with 0 home work turned in.
I estimated before. My French 1 classes have around 500pt so far this semester. Homework makes up 80pt. By the end of the semester, homework should only be about 15% of their total grade.

When I grade assessments, I always check to see if their assessment grade is around the same as their class average. If they have Cs on all the tests and a class average of A, something is clearly wrong. Also, if they get As on tests and have a C in class, something else is wrong. 99% of the time, test grades closely match up with their average in class. Students who consistently make Ds on tests often do not turn in homework and usually have a D in class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 07:53 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
There are other things they get grades for: classwork, tickets out of class, compositions, skits. Homework is a very small percentage of their grade. Now that I think about it, it's probably less than 30%. I usually give 5 points for homework. As long as they do it, they get full credit. Classwork is anywhere from 5-15pt, and tests are from 80-140pt.

Most of the time, in my lower level classes, homework is something super simple like making flashcards for the vocab, or writing a few sentences with our verbs and the vocab.

My purpose for homework is extra practice outside of class to reinforce the material learned in class. I don't give homework every day. Maybe only 80% of classes have homework.

Generally, the students with poor assessment grades are the same ones who don't turn in the homework. At least in my classes. Luckily I only have to deal with this in level 1 as they often quit after level 1, or are not allowed to continue because of their grade.

My reasoning for giving students one additional class period to turn in homework is this... If I give them weeks to turn it in, we've already moved on from what the homework was about. It should have been completed when we were working on that in class. And because I'll get a barrage of late work at the last minute (usually report card time) to try and boost grades.

A failing grade in our school is below a 60%. I've never had a student not turn in any homework the entire semester, so failing my class is really only possible if you don't study and therefor don't do well on the assessments. Even if you only do half of the homework assignments, you'll still have at least a B in class.
Wow, 30%? or even anything near that?

Our school doesn't allow us to have anything more than 10% of the grade come from "practice" homework.

Having been a college professor doesn't that much weight for homework seem counterintuitive to you? I have taught in college and currently teach a DE class now, I would give zero homework for credit if I could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching